General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Life's Little Vicissitudes

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 22 May 2018 23:10

For some time now I have been suggesting that my OH has her hearing checked. She says that there is nothing wrong with her ears and it is my annoying habit of talking to her when she is either in another room, the radio is on, or other numerous reasons as to my voice being obscured. :-|

I disagree and reminded her of her GP visit regarding this issue. He said “Can you describe the symptoms” OH answered, “Well Homer is fat and yellow, and Marge has tall blue hair”

But I digress. The symptoms are progressively becoming worse, or I suspect, more selective

It appears to be worse when I ask her to refill my wine glass, or to fetch me a beer from the fridge, and as for other sounds masking my speech, at least now I wait until she has finished washing up or doing the ironing before making my requests. Although I must admit that in the former activity she always starts to turn the taps on as soon as I open my mouth.

I say selective as sometimes, no matter what the background noise, I can be a tad critical if, say, my shirts have creases where they shouldn’t be, or my glass is not filled quickly enough. My criticisms are always done quietly as I do not want to antagonise her, but OH always manages to hear THEM!

Now, as I lay here on the hospital bed gazing at the ceiling, I have the opportunity to reflect on the advice from the A&E doctor who stitched me up. He advised that the cuts should heal with minimal scarring as whatever was used was extremely sharp.

On reflection, the genesis for the latest incident in our continually exciting relationship was watching a rerun of the series ‘Death in Paradise’

The particular episode involved the murder of a Bride shortly after the wedding ceremony.

There were a number of suspects, including the new husband. At one point someone asks what sort of man would murder his wife an hour after marrying her.

Sotto voce I murmured “A sensible one!”

Despite the TV being on and the kettle coming to the boil, OH heard that one OK.

I’d also forgotten that she was also carving the meat at the time.

It seems that the knives I received for my birthday were also suitable for more murderous purposes.
:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 May 2018 23:30

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 May 2018 23:52

Allan if it were true she'd have our sympathies putting up with your behaviour all these years poor thing... :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 23 May 2018 00:17

What do you mean, if it were true? :-| :-|

It's as true as all my tales of domestic disharmony are :-P

And my travel tales ;-)

:-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 May 2018 01:34

:-D :-D

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 23 May 2018 08:35

What,eh, I'm a bit hard of hearing ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 23 May 2018 08:46

In that case, Kathryn, I respctfully suggest that you visit your Fishmonger, purchase a certain type of fish and place it in your ear.

it is known as a herring aid :-P :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 May 2018 09:21

Would Kathryn need a Sturgeon to fit it? :-0

Barbra

Barbra Report 23 May 2018 09:31

Aw bless her hope your wounds heal very soon .Allan one thing oh wont know you are wondering the streets at 3am dressed in an unusual outfit .your secret is safe with me ;-) :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 May 2018 11:04

I have explained to my OH that, if he continues to leave the seat up in the bog, he might not need to lift it any more.

Our knives are not that sharp either!

Allan

Allan Report 23 May 2018 13:09

Ouch!

my OH did shriek something when lunging at me...what a time to mention a Hobbit ;-) :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 May 2018 15:09

Hope it wasn't a rusty knife

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 May 2018 16:32

Allan Lol. I trust you encourage your OH to read these ponderings to allow her to mend her ways :-D

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 23 May 2018 18:17

Would you recommend Specs savers for a hearing aid? I cant hear without my specs on ;-) :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 May 2018 18:35

Oh good point Kathryn

Allan

Allan Report 23 May 2018 22:25

AnninGlos, OH has access to my computer and has all my passwords. What she doesn't have access to is the Internet Café where I go for a coffee :-D :-D :-D :-D

Please don't encourage Kathryn, Caroline, it's very short-sighted :-P :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 May 2018 00:48

Sorry didn't have my glasses on.....but I'm pretty sure she doesn't need any encouragement.

Allan

Allan Report 24 May 2018 01:04

You're spot on there :-D :-D

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 24 May 2018 09:12

Ere Allan lend us an ear, cos I can't read between the lines :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2018 10:40

Tom Paul Glaser song on You Tube called 'Put Another Log On The Fire'.