General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tea Bags

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jun 2018 09:49

I don't use tea-bags at home although there were always some available for Fred to make himself a cup of tea. Because I don't drink coffee, I might drink a cup of tea made with a tea bag if I have to but it would not be my preference..

Talking to somebody else who uses loose tea, I asked her if she felt she could also taste the tea-bag. She replied that she had used tea bags for a long time until she noticed that one she had thrown on to the garden two years previously was still the same as when she had thrown it.

This made me wonder just how ecologically sound they might be.Are there huge numbers of used ones in landfill that are not decomposing?

Kense

Kense Report 7 Jun 2018 10:06

I used to put them in the compost bin. After a year or so they had mostly gone but the were small pieces recognisable as having been part of a tea bag.

Now the council collect them as part of the food waste collection.

This is what happens to it:
"We send food waste to an anaerobic digestion plant. Anaerobic Digestion uses microorganisms to break down the food waste in an enclosed system that doesn’t contain oxygen.
This process produces a bio-gas, which is used to generate electricity. It also creates a nutrient-rich soil that farmers can use for their fields to help grow more food."

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 7 Jun 2018 10:13

I put my used teabags round the edges of my hanging baskets
to keep the moisture in

I only drink Punjana tea they come in bags
Cant stand slimy Earl Grey or Tetley's pee bags :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 7 Jun 2018 11:33

I have loose tea for myself but hubby has teabags, I have long wondered my “they” haven’t come up with tea in teabags or the material itself is bad for you, can cause cancer etc etc, everything else is. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jun 2018 11:34

Apparently, from the following article:
"a number of the UK’s most popular tea bag brands use polypropylene, a sealing plastic, to fasten the tea bags and ensure that they hold their shape."

There are moves afoot to remove the plastic from tea bags.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-is-there-plastic-in-my-teabag_uk_5a71a6abe4b0be822ba1ea9d

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Jun 2018 12:10

Seem to recall a lady in our works canteen making tea in a urn using a tea bag...looked like an old linen sock, to me...

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jun 2018 12:11

Only the truly posh would know what a linen sock looked like!

David

David Report 7 Jun 2018 13:55

I use Tetley tea bags, three in the cup pint mug, then throw them out. Used to like
Yorkshire tea distinct taste. Haven't had it in years.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 7 Jun 2018 14:31

You would need at least 3 David
Try Punjana you would only need one :-D

David

David Report 7 Jun 2018 17:03

Truth told Joy I've never heard of it or seen it in the shop.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jun 2018 17:09

I have never seen it either. I think it might be a northern thing,

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 7 Jun 2018 17:15

They are made by Thompsons Blended in Ireland

a real strong cuppa :-D

David

David Report 7 Jun 2018 17:21

Whatever happened to Stewarts Tea ?

BrianW

BrianW Report 7 Jun 2018 17:35

Maggie is correct, tea bags contain plastic and the bags themselves don't degrade.

If you compost them you need to cut them, tip the tea out and put the bag in general rubbish.

Or if you have an open fire, use them for fuel.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 7 Jun 2018 19:16

My friend soaks dried used teabags in paraffin and uses them to fire up the barby.
Regarding anaerobic digesters, a lot of the stuff that ends up in them is not biodegradable, and ends up on the farmer's fields. Last season while beating, one field looked as though someone had gone around emptying bags of rubbish over the entire field.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 Jun 2018 23:41

What a fab Idea Bob :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jun 2018 00:12

..ponders where she can dry out tea bags..... :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Jun 2018 00:27

On the washing line Maggie lol

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jun 2018 06:46

I use loose tea and make a pot of tea in one of the old fashioned brown teapots

Anyone who comes says oooooh yes please when I ask would you like a cup of tea
Get told we love your tea you make a proper cup!!

Am a coffee drinker personally but hubby liked his tea but only one cup so he used a tea bag.

I used to put them in the compost bin and then later in the garden waste recycling when that was introduced

Even though we use pg tips the real tea tastes so much nicer than one made with the tea bag

Leslie

Leslie Report 9 Jun 2018 08:14

Morning all....I have never drank a cup of tea in 87 years..Probably tried it when I was a nipper but it's always milk or coffee....Seems to be mostly coffee these days...My darling wife (now departed) always had loose tea..She wouldn't have anything to do with teabags..We still keep loose tea and the strainer by the teapot...When we went to any of the children's houses she would get loose tea in a special china cup...
Got to go shopping now...Bye all.....L Y L.....LES... <3 <3