General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In the film

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 10 Jun 2018 19:55

Bridge at Remagen CH31 on now how did the German Major's phone call for urgent assistance be interrupted by the opposing US Captain who knew who he was speaking to ?

Robert Vaughan and George Seagal.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jun 2018 20:46

You must surely have something better to do than watch this dreadful movie. It is full of goofs. You can find an answer to your question here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064110/goofs

Heil Schiklgruber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2hS_LhslTw

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2018 21:06

Strange - it got fairly good reviews.
But then, I suppose some like to watch a film, as a film, and not as a documentary.

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Jun 2018 21:15

Or maybe they truly do have nothing better to do!! in which case is it good to point that out....either way each to their own...hope you enjoyed the movie or at least picking holes in it David :-D

David

David Report 11 Jun 2018 07:12

I've a few favourite films I've seen many times and I suppose commenting on flaws in

them does demonstrate I've nothing better to do.But doesn't content of much of the

chat thread show I'm not the only one with that problem ? No disrespect intended.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 Jun 2018 09:04

I see someone is being their usual charming self :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Jun 2018 09:30

No problem about commenting on the flaws, David :-D :-D

..it's the self- declared film critic who's out of order!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jun 2018 09:57

With, in the audience’s opinion, ‘a good’ film, you get caught up in the story. On subsequent viewings you have time to spot the inconsistencies. As long as they don’t spoil your enjoyment, carry on watching :-D

We’ve probably all noticed continuity errors on occasions. Does it matter in the great scheme of things? No. We might chuckle at the time then re-immerse ourselves in the experience. At least it shows, as in David’s case, that we’re being observant.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 Jun 2018 09:58

To each their own is my motto. OH often watches what I call c**p but so what. He probably thinks that of most things I enjoy but we suffer them together :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jun 2018 12:19

I wish I could enjoy a film.

It would be great to look forward to an evening out at the cinema but I have always even had a problem with reading fiction and have to psyche myself up to do it. Even then, too many books have been abandoned halfway through because I just could not be bothered to get involved.

It is,I think, just mental laziness or fear of finding a scary bit.

Of course I went to to the cinema as a teenager but there were things to do if you got bored then.We would look a bit sad in the back row at our age.

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Jun 2018 12:26

There's your problem Sharron....you can't finish books...well you used to only watch part of the movie from the back row...it's all habit :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jun 2018 12:42

I suppose that, had it been something I had wanted to watch, I would have had a reputation for being frigid and unobtainable, which I didn't!

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Jun 2018 12:45

Hope they paid for your ticket :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jun 2018 12:49

And my Jubbly!

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Jun 2018 12:54

Of course :-D :-D

David

David Report 11 Jun 2018 13:01

There was a time, long ago, many of us would look forward to going to the pictures (cinema). Even if it meant standing in a queue in the rain to get in.
Now, we can watch films all day on the TV or the PC or even a smartphone.

Have a shufti at Y**T**e. You can watch any category of movie from last year to the old black and whites. I think this PC is value for money.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Jun 2018 13:19

When making movies about historical events in addition to continuity errors there is a tendency to use whatever props come to hand and change events around a bit so as to fit budget timeline and audience. For the viewer it makes for varying levels of irritation.

It is possible to make a movie without most of this nonsense but it is rare e.g. Burt Lancaster in "The Train" set around the same time as TBAR has no serious goofs.

TBARemagen is very well known for its extreme goof count on props, history and continuity. Thus it is a bust as a credible war movie. If the goofs don't bother you too much then the criteria is how good is the acting and story line. On that basis TBAR is fair entertainment and might even be able to hold Sharon's interest at times.

The other movie about ww2 bridges "A Bridge Too Far" is a better bet and even suggests what sort of fist HMG is likely to make of brexit.

All war movies suffer from the brutal truth that most of the time in war nothing much at all happens with a great deal happening very suddenly with max brutality. Viewing that is not a profitable proposition over 90 minutes. IMHO the best ever war movie was "Good Morning, Viet Nam".

For war movies Sharron might enjoy "Inglorious Bastards" otherwise try Bo Widerberg ( free on YouTube ) whose productions might be more her cup of tea.

David might care to shell out for a sub to NetFlix and catch up on the C20.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jun 2018 13:25

We have a new Sky package,not my doing, that allows us to watch YouTube on the television.

It has some excellent background music packages, I have Vaughan Williams on at the moment, but I can't imagine I will be troubling the film section very much.

David

David Report 11 Jun 2018 13:26

There's so much choice for free, and only so many hours in the day. I've become mean.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jun 2018 13:32

I suppose any film with a character called Fred in it would be immediately attractive to me.

Naturally, I only read 'The Grapes of Wrath' because it had somebody called 'Rose of Sharon' in it.

If I want to know about Germany I will read a bit of William Shirer, he was there and he could write.

Watching an account of something that has already been through the imagination of somebody else is like drinking a glass of whisky that has already been through the kidney of somebody else!