General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silver Screen

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jun 2018 08:26

Never heard of it but have recently made a lovely friend through our local U3A and she asked if I would like to go to the cinema with her

She said it's the silver screen and went on to explain the local
Odeon does it on Tuesday and Thursdays morning and afternoon and it's £3 entrance which includes tea or coffee and biscuits

What a great idea . Gets older folks out and at a price they can afford

We saw Finding Your Feet starring Imelda Staunton, Celia Imrie . Timothy Spall . Included lots of other familiar older stars like Joanna Lumley

Great film would recommend it

Will certainly be going again ;-) :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2018 16:21

I agree, it's a brilliant idea. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jun 2018 17:00

They had better get on with it then as all of the major chains plan to do away with 35mm film projection. Anything not digitised ( i.e. not in the collection of Netflix et al ) will disappear from view except at the handful of UK art cinemas or occasional screenings at the BFI. "The Titchfield Thunderbol" and "Passport to Pimlico" tend not to be high in the art cinema list though they like, for instance, Hitchcock, Carol Reed and Bunuel none of whose names evoke tea and bicuits..

https://www.newstatesman.com/2014/08/s-all-folks

Even in France where the cinema is heavily subsided lots of wonderful places have gone.

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Jun 2018 17:04

Sounds like a great idea Shirley, hope you get to see many more movies over the years and a lovely cuppa as well :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Jun 2018 17:49

Black n white/colour classic movies...
channel 81 freeview

Talking Pictures Tv

Sadly they don't have subtitles for All the offerings though...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2018 18:08

RTR, the article you posted a link to is American cinema.
Here's another stance on it - apparently 35mm was due to all but disappear in 2011 - maybe it has, maybe all new films are digital, but it appears cinemas are still capable of showing 35mm films.
There is, of course the chance that 'old' films have been digitalised - you know, like we do with old photo's.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/nov/29/life-after-35mm-digital-film

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jun 2018 18:10

Finding your feet was made in 2017 so it's not an olde

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Jun 2018 18:20

Why let facts get in the way....

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jun 2018 18:57

The technology of the cinema is decided in the USA. Like it or not.

Now I still like analog photography and use my Olympus OM2-N and its array of lenses. Getting film is not too bad despite the demise of Kodak and C41 development is quick by post. I do my own printing which is terrific fun.

The cinema is something else. Digitising 35mm & 70mm film prints is expensive. Without a doubt a large number of old movies will never be digitised. In particular Netflix is not much interested in movies without much of a modern audience esp if not in 16:9 format. Leading producers such as Eastwood, Ridley Scott have already been digitised as have classics such as "The Third Man" ( recently remastered in BluRay, recommended. ) That leaves literally thousands of movies of little interest to movie buffs or Netflix and with an audience which is still struggling with the demise of VHS.

A modern digital projector is around $ 150K and is not something an art house is going to spring for let alone the fees. There are only a handful of such places in the UK so they are inevitably going to be picky about what they show not wanting empty seats. The future of the 35mm prints themselves is also muddy. A 90min movie print costs around $30 K and the number of labs able to make such prints is falling quickly.

Commercial chains will not retain the ability to screen 35mm movies for very long as the studio distribution agreements demand digital capability and the supply of skilled projectionists is also in steep decline. Following the closure of the Westover Road cinemas there is no 35mm analogue projection capability in Bournemouth for instance.

Whether or not a movie is digitised does not depend on its age but supply and demand. Classic oldies and those with a strong audience will get the treatment (eg Bob Hope, Sinatra ). The BFI and like organisations will make fresh prints but their resources are limited and unreliable. So far they have not even managed to digitise the BBC classic "Roads to Freedom" for instance. A newish movie made in 35/70mm stock will only be digitised if the cost can be justified AND the myriad rights contracts sorted as well.

Much the same situation applies to TV where a lot of the archive is in betamax format.
https://imagenevp.com/obsolete-video-tape-formats/

So as I said if your local Odeon is putting out analogue movies (Saturday mornings or tea time?) with shortbreads n tea go for it 'cos the days are numbered.

fwiw the Studios regret DVD/BluRay and see streaming as the future both to the home and the "silver screen".

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2018 19:08

Oh, I can't be bothered reading more than the first couple of lines.
The FACT is, your assumption that the films shown at Shirley's cinema were old was wrong.
But still, you insist on being a harbinger of doom - or alternatively adopting a façade of 'trendy' nerd who knows everything about everything.
Don't you think they'd digitise popular old films?
Once done, it wouldn't be too expensive to copy them.
In fact, you can get very old films on CD - isn't that digitising them?

Oh yes, I had old family cine film (35mm) transferred to a CD in a local shop.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Jun 2018 19:14

Google do give a lot of information don't they?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jun 2018 19:21

It's called silver screen or cinema because it's for the over 55,s or the silver haired !!!!

It doesn't show old films. It shows films that have done the main circuit and are being reshown to encourage older folks to go to the cinema at a price they can afford

The odeon had been split into several screens so it's not taking anything from the others but making some money for one of the screens that may not have many customers in the week anyway

Why assume it's playing old films ?? Rollo

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2018 19:40

I assumed it was called the 'Silver Screen' because it was aimed at the older generation. :-D :-D :-D

Old films are usually shown at, for want of a better word, 'themed' cinemas.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jun 2018 19:44

Absolutely Maggie :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Jun 2018 19:46

If only I enjoyed films, I would certainly go to something like that.

Is there much going on in the back row?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jun 2018 20:00

Only some snoring I would imagine Sharron lol

:-D :-(

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Jun 2018 20:04

I always understood that "Silver Screen" applied to the Cinema...as opposed to TV...but I like the appropriation, used for the more mature generation...(of which I am one)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2018 20:27

Many many moons ago, when films were in black and white, the cinema was called the 'Silver Screen'. I only know this because my gran occasionally, jokingly referred the cinema as that.
But even she usually referred to the 'Cinema'.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jun 2018 21:51

They run a similar scheme here on Monday afternoons. I think it's popular but I have never been because of family commitments.

Our local Water Board offices also do a pensioner lunch on Fridays - again, it's popular, and is recommended by someone who is a member of the local community centre Monday Luncheon Club.

I'll try them all one day.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2018 23:32

I've not googled, so I may be wrong .............

but I have a vague memory that the term "silver screen" came about because there WAS silver included in the surface of the original screens way back when

then it gradually came to refer to the whole movie industry.