General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has this ever happened to you ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 12 Oct 2018 03:28

About 2 hours ago I awoke think I'd better get the kettle on and make Ellen and I a cuppa. Puts the PC on it was 1.30 am. I must have been dreaming I'd heard the alarm.
So back into bed, I'm wide awake, cannot sleep. So, read several threads then posted this, and it's still far too early. Will probably fall asleep by lunch time ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Oct 2018 04:39

Many years ago I had the opposite happening

I used to commute from Kent to London so it was an early start every day

Dreaded the alarm going off ,especially in the winter months when it was still dark when I left home

One morning I woke up and it was a lovely sunny morning .Thought haven't heard the alarm and nope it wasn't time for it to go off

Feeling very righteous I got up anyway and leisurely showered and dressed and went down to have my toast and coffee
Put the radio on as usual so could hear time checks and it suddenly did the time pips and good morning here is the 9am news

WHAT ??????

A frantic look around at clocks around the house to realise we had had a two plus hour electricity cut in the night but somehow the alarm clock in the bedroom just resumed the time when it came back on again

Of course by the time I realised it I had missed all the commuter trains so it was back to the slow train that I had to wait another hour for

I finally arrived at work around midday , and had to make the lost time up too !!

I worried about that bee alarm clock for several weeks after and had awful nights sleep as I kept waking up to check the time several times a night

David

David Report 12 Oct 2018 06:54

It's no laughing matter when our body's clock is disturbed / upset for any
reason Shirley, upsets the remainder of the day.It's now approaching 7 am
and it's already catching up on me.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Oct 2018 09:27

I was up early too this morning as you can see by the time on the posting

Went to bed early and woke around 1.30 and cat decided he needed to go out for a bathroom visit
So three hours later was still up as tapping around on the iPad I was fully awake

Decided at 5 20 am to go back to bed and managed to sleep till 8.32 so I am up and running fully charged again

Won't be later as it's my monthly chiropractic appointment at 12.30
:-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Oct 2018 10:33

David & Shirley, at least you allow yourself time to nap during the day.

Our neighbour is driving us nuts, purely as concerned 'friends'.
She only allows herself up to 2 hours sleep at night, frequently waking up with an alarm clock. She says she 'has so much to do', not realising she's been nodding off in an upright chair.

We do wonder if she wakes to go to the loo & sees it as "I'm awake so I'll get up now".
She admits she's done that on at least one occasion. Up, washed & dressed then realised it was still only 1 am. :-0

David

David Report 12 Oct 2018 12:00

I confess to sometimes napping Det. If I hadn't woke so early I wouldn't.
If I had an employment I certainly wouldn't. It just happens. I am fortunate in that I have little or bugger all to do most of the time other than read or Sudoku.
You ought to have a word with your neighbour, she seems unfair or strange.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Oct 2018 15:14

When you don’t have the need to keep regular hours, it’s easy enough to slip into an unusual sleeping pattern. In David’s case, the years of night shift working might have an impact.

The neighbour, thank goodness, doesn’t try & phone us at an unearthly hour. Everyone has tried to get her to see sense - her family, GP & friends. Nothing seems to make any difference even though she isn’t happy with her routine herself!

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Oct 2018 16:34

I remember waking up late on morning, dressing fast, grabbing something that I ate on the way, thinking I had hit a lull in the traffic by being a little later and rushing into an empty factory, as you would at 7.15!

David

David Report 12 Oct 2018 16:42

I once strolled to my Dentist to keep an appointment. Rang his door bell, he answered it, says "what do you want ?"

I've a 2 pm appt says I .....That was yesterday says he :-( :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Oct 2018 16:51

We always had fun with patient transport for Fred.

I had the date wrong in the diary and he was out, probably collecting horse dung, when they came. Luckily, I knew which way they had gone and led the ambulance to them so he was picked up from the side of the road.

Another time, I had booked them to take him to hospital and they turned up at exactly the right time on the right day but a month early!

David

David Report 12 Oct 2018 16:56

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 12 Oct 2018 19:12

When I was serving in Germany in the sixties, being married I lived "out", about three miles from barracks. My wife was home in Blighty, as her father was ill. One afternoon ( I had somehow got the afternoon off) I got on the p**s in the pub next to our flat. The next thing I knew, I looked at the clock, and it was gone eight-o-clock, and I had to be on parade by 0830hrs. So, on the trusty pedal bike, and off I went like a mad thing. Gradually, it dawned on me that it was getting darker..... Well, I don't need to elaborate, do I? Fortunately, the pub was still open...

David

David Report 12 Oct 2018 19:48

I'd a brother REME many years ago and another who was in RAOC that became Logistics. Both retired

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Oct 2018 23:42

I've got a clock that randomly decides to freeze.
If I need to visit the bathroom in the wee :-D small hours, I always look at the clock - then check it's gained a few minutes when I get back into bed.
On quite a few occasions, at 3am, the 'call' has come. The clock hasn't moved,
I turn it off and on again (unplug it, and plug it back), and find it's 6am. and I may as well get up :-|
I'd much rather have had another 3 hour in bed :-| :-| :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Oct 2018 00:12

Time for a new (battery operated/wind up?) clock??

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2018 00:18

...but I like my DAB clock :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Oct 2018 01:45

Then get a new DAB clock :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Oct 2018 05:41

Coincidentally, on Thursday on bbc2, there was a programme called The Body Clock! I recorded it to watch later.

For several years now my body clock has been upside down. For various reasons I started going to bed later and later (I have always been a night owl) and now I am up all night watching recorded tv programmes, and using the internet, but then I mostly sleep all day, sometimes for 12 hrs and more with a couple of comfort breaks.

I really should try to turn it round. I do go to bed earlier on holidays so that I get up in the daytime but that's because I get a room to myself, I don't sleep as well at home with someone snoring next to me! I am not looking forward to next year when o.h. retires, as he won't be getting up early on alternate weeks.

Lizx

David

David Report 13 Oct 2018 06:01

In our kitchen / dining room there is a clock. In out living room there are two clocks. In the corridor is a pendulum clock. In this room is a clock and a clock on the PC. there is
a clock on my mobile phone and a clock on the TV.

I bet there isn't two telling the same time :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2018 09:47

David

Why the obsession with time?
Do you need to get up at a certain time, if not, why not abandon the alarm and let your body clock work out a natural rhythm?

I've only set an alarm a few times in my life, but naturally wake refreshed but not stressed each morning.
Even when my husband worked in London and we got up at 5 a.m. we both woke without an alarm.