General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Today at work

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 14 Nov 2018 22:05

A truly sad moment when an 11 year old child came in. Our trousers for children stop at age 13. They have a 30” waist and a 32” leg and they weren’t big enough. The boy was about 5’ tall and had a 54” waist. We ordered him the adult trousers which go up to a 60” waist. Judging by the size of the parents it wasn’t a medical issue. How can parents allow their children to get to this size????

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Nov 2018 22:33

It's very sad, isn't it?
With a waist of 54" - that's 4'6", his waist is only 6" smaller than he is tall.
Perhaps if it was explained to parents in such a way, they may change their eating habits, and those of their children.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Nov 2018 09:59

Although the parents may not have shown any signs of -overweight- which is nothing to go by , the boy could have developed a health issue or had an inherited genectic one.maybe hes on some medication if that's the cause.

Although I'm sure a doctor would be involved if that's the case.

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Nov 2018 12:48

In this case the parents were equally large. It’s just horribly sad when you see a child like that though as they end up out of breath far more easily and may not be able to do everything their friends do.

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2018 12:49

Since when were clothes shop assistants qualified to judge whether a child has a medical issue (or not) by the size of his parents? How is it your business to show this family up?

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 15 Nov 2018 14:00

Tawny was obviously shocked and upset by such extreme measurements - she wasn't claiming to be qualified to give medical advice but would be strange if she had no personal reaction

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Nov 2018 16:43

And she was not identifying the family, she was just flagging up how sad it is to see this situation. As it is for whatever reason as it leads to all sorts of health problems for all ages.

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2018 17:31

Elizabeth - Tawny judged this family!!! Did you not read her post?

Ann - she has no business 'flagging up' this this family's situation on a chat board. Not identifying them does not make her judgemental posting ok. How do you know that someone in the same situation isn't looking in?

I must say that I am surprised that Tawny, who has always come across as a kind person, saw fit to publicly comment on a schoolboy customers size and be judgement regarding his parents.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Nov 2018 18:25

Well, if someone in a similar situation is looking in, I wouldn't be surprised.
It is estimated that 28% of children between the ages of 2 and 15 are overweight or obese.
The majority of obesity is not caused by 'medical problems', but obesity in itself can cause serious medical problems - list below.

Perhaps the NHS and media should stop discussing childhood obesity and the effects it can have on children, for fear of 'outing' them, and appearing judgemental!

I'd also like to point out that Tawny was showing sympathy for the child, not laughing at him. But hey, lets keep it hidden, keep quiet about it, after all,not much can go wrong with being a seriously obese child, can it?

https://childhoodobesityfoundation.ca/what-is-childhood-obesity/complications-childhood-obesity/

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Nov 2018 18:35

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11522021/Nearly-half-of-employers-unlikely-to-hire-overweight-workers.html

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2018 19:10

Who said Tawny was laughing at the child Maggie?
She was JUDGING - the parents! A family which she did not know anything about!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Nov 2018 19:15

No. She was pointing out how sad it was.

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2018 19:19

Why???

"Judging by the size of the parents it wasn’t a medical issue. How can parents allow their children to get to this size????"

I call that being judgemental.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Nov 2018 19:37

It's just a turn of phrase.
Would it have been less offensive to you if she'd said 'Assessing the size of the parents', or 'Reaching an opinion'?

..or is no-one allowed an opinion?

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 15 Nov 2018 20:11

Good heavens, some of you do get your knickers in a twist, don't you.

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Nov 2018 21:53

Actually Bob maybe it's their Granny knickers not regular ones :-S :-D

Allan

Allan Report 15 Nov 2018 22:06

I think that that is being judgemental, Caroline :-| :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 15 Nov 2018 22:20

and Grannyist Allan :-| :-D

Allan

Allan Report 15 Nov 2018 22:40

:-D :-D :-D

Incidentally, I came across the following article on an internet news report

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/counsel-for-man-acquitted-of-rape-suggested-jurors-should-reflect-on-underwear-worn-by-teen-complainant-883613.html

Noe that is being judgemental regarding female underwear :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Nov 2018 23:28

That is horrendous!
Women - don't wear nice underwear, you're 'asking for it'!
Reminiscent of Judge Pickles describing women defendants' using "clever manipulation", dressing in a way "calculated to invite attention" or even "asking for it".

Do they use the same excuse when an elderly woman is raped - 'I couldn't have raped her, your honour, she was wearing waist high flesh coloured knickers'?