General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM ADVICE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 13:45

I'm terrified of technology:-(

I've probably asked this before but .....

....If I export my huge tree from GR to Ancestry, will all my research notes and attached docs remain intact on my GR tree if I do?

I'm scared I will lose 7 years of hard work lol :-0

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 14:28

If your not sure ....
has anyone got an email address for GR Customer Support please?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2018 15:10

When you call for an export, no attachments (files of any sort - .jpg, pdf, xls, etc.) will download. The only notes within the exported ged file will be any that you have typed into the "notes" box at the bottom of each persons page.

When you upload that file into Ancestry, those notes are included and are available within your Ancestry tree. If you make your Ancestry tree "Public" I do not think that those notes are available to view.

Define huge tree?????????

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Nov 2018 15:19

I'm not sure whether it can be done with a GR Tree but could you not make a copy of your Tree onto say a USB stick before you Export it just to be in the safe side? :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 15:24

Thank You Inky:-)

4296 and counting :-D

Thanks Belle :-)
I'm not sure whether or not I can do that. I think it's best I ask GR.
Basically, I want to keep all my GR Tree, notes and records intact on here :-D

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2018 15:24

The tree is not on your pc/laptop. When you export, you receive the ged as an email attachment. To save somewhere prior to uploading it anywhere else.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 15:27

I've not got the software on my Laptop to save here. And it's an old Windows 7 on it's last legs. I will eventually need a new one.

I have most Original Documents and Records saved to files in my lappy and to a flash-drive though.

It's mostly my notes I'm worried about

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2018 15:28

Correction to previous note re: Ancestry.
I have just opened my copy tree on Ancestry (original on here) and I cannot get to the notes, so maybe Ancestry has blocked them.
I will do a simple test - download that Ancestry file and read it.
Watch this space...………..

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 15:29

Thanks Inky!

I'm less worried about the notes not going to Ancestry than about losing them from GR. But it would be a bonus if my notes transferred there too. :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Nov 2018 15:31

Their email address is

[email protected]

:-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 15:31

Thanks Belle :-)

Kense

Kense Report 28 Nov 2018 15:38

You can still keep your GR tree after you have exported it. It is still on the GR Site and as long as you remain at least, a free member you can view it.

Once your paid subscription to GR has expired you may not be able to see any records etc that you have attached so you have to save those to your PC while you can. If you are continuing with GR as before you don't have a problem.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 15:42

Thank You Ken :-)

What I'm most worried about are the extensive notes I've written on members profile notes on my tree. I would hate to lose those from GR :-(

I'm not leaving GR by the way! I still will retain paying membership of this site too :-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2018 15:50

As an example, notes to one of my greatgreatgrandfathers from my latest ged download:-
1 NOTE DOB July 1836 - from Record & Establishment Books of HMS JACKAL, also his RN service record.
2 CONT He served approximately 12y on JACKAL out of a total of 20y120d. He entered l discharge reads 11Aug1873 from HMS INDUS.
2 CONT
2 CONT 1891 census (North Woolwich) states birthplace - Ireland, Kerry

For your tree I guess the ged file would be about 1.1MB. Not big, but it is only a data file of somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 lines.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 15:53

Thanks Inky :-)

Much appreciated everyone :-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2018 16:02

Found how to get to the notes on Ancestry tree. Looks as if Wordpad (used to open the GR ged file) cut short some of the data.

Copied from Ancestry:-

DOB July 1836 - from Record & Establishment Books of HMS JACKAL, also his RN service record.
He served approximately 12y on JACKAL out of a total of 20y120d. He entered the RN (First entry in his service record) on 08May1851. Final discharge reads 11Aug1873 from HMS INDUS.

1891 census (North Woolwich) states birthplace - Ireland, Kerry

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 16:12

That sounds great Inky, thanks :-)

David

David Report 28 Nov 2018 16:12

I successfully used GEDCOM to transfer my tree to Wikitree and it stayed on GR, so it copies it and places it at a destination of your choice

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 28 Nov 2018 16:13

Thanks David :-)

Kense

Kense Report 28 Nov 2018 16:53

If you have a family tree program on your computer it could be worth importing the GEDCOM into that first.. That program should have tools for checking the validity of data in your tree, which helps to ensure that GEDCOM has correct data (dates can be a problem sometimes).

Also having a copy of your tree offline would be a good insurance against online subscriptions becoming unaffordable.