General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brexit-Hell Outrage.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Feb 2019 17:15

I dislike excessive heat & I'd rather not go there. :-P

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Feb 2019 17:16

:-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Feb 2019 20:32

Right from day 1 Cameron was warned that the UK and ROI were joined at the hip by the GFA. There is no brexit solution which does not breach law and treaties without the "backstop". There never will be - the fears of the DUP and ERG are well founded.
May's deal is as good as it gets short of the status quo.
WTO is no solution just a heap of problems that the UK cannot handle.
It is a bit late in the day for brexiters to be throwing their toys out of the pram.

Welcome to the Hotel California.
:-\

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Feb 2019 20:56

Such a lovely place .....

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Feb 2019 21:22

and she said "We are all prisoners here of our own device...."

Harswell

Harswell Report 6 Feb 2019 22:35

After voting remain, and after hearing the vitriolic rantings of Tusk,Drunkard etc I and many others I know,would vote Brexit and willingly go to Hell and stand at the gates to make sure that the remainers stay and do not get out.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Feb 2019 07:13

And I still blame Call-me-Dave who, in my opinion, bolted as soon as things did not go the way he expected them to go.

On second thoughts, perhaps I ought to blame his advisers who seemed not have their fingers on the pulse of the nation or were simply mates, lacking discernment and, sadly, over-promoted because of their ability to butter up the boss.

Sometimes things return to bite us as DC discovered.

Tusk ought to be told that there is no hell other than that created on earth by some human beings.

So, what makes you think Remainers will ever darken the gates of hell? It's the recalcitrants known as MPs who ought to be afraid of the fickle finger of fate. In my opinion, the majority of them would do anyone down if there was something in it for them even if it was only for their 15 minutes.

It seems to me that Mrs M has a class full of spiteful children. The old expression, 'Give me strength', springs to mind. I'd wager she's used it more than once.

Kense

Kense Report 9 Feb 2019 15:48

The BBC was criticised on Newswatch today for its reporting of the Tusk comment. They left out the key part which was "for those who promoted Brexit without even a sketch of a plan how to carry it safely".

While his comment was not helpful it was certainly not vitriolic

Incidentally the last opinion poll I have seen, showed that 56% would now vote to remain.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Feb 2019 16:57

Cameron had fis finger on the pulse of the nation when he should have had it on the pulse of the Daily Mail. None of his team had the faintest inkling of the hi tech wizardry and illegal funding provided by Aaron Banks and co. So he was blind sided.

It is no use blaming the MPs most of whom are honest and hard working people.
May has the additional qualities of low cunning and stupidity.

Thanks to the new dogma of obeying the (advisory) referendum ( which said NOTHING about how brexit was to be carried out ) MPs are stuck between the rock and the hard place.

At least half the country deserve the misery that is going to be served up. The other half will not hesitate to put the boot in. Post brexit the UK will be engaged in trying both to save its economy and get a Trade Deal half as good as the one it could have already right now eg with Japan. This will go on for years and years until the UK gives up and sidles back into membership, €uro and all.

As a referendum got us into this mess and parliament is in total disarray a second referendum is surely the fairest way to conclude the matter. Then if it really is the wish of the Brits to wear the hair shirt and break up the country we will know it was not by accident.

It is of course pretty poor luck for a country to be stuck with the miserable choice of May, Cable and Corbyn all at the same time. That's what happens when people offload their politics to Facebook.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 9 Feb 2019 17:25

The UK will never adopt the €uro.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Feb 2019 17:44

The UK is running a balance of payments deficit of 8% while the govt deficit is > 10% once various off balance sheet tricks are included. In normal times these bare facts would be enough to set off a first rate sterling crisis

The circle has been squared the last 20 years by massive inflows of capital, some of it used to grow industries such as Nissan & Airbus, a lot more to grow city trading and the media industries but dwarfing all these "investment" in the UK property bubble.

Should the UK crash out of the EU without a deal then there is a very high risk of a super mega sterling crisis. The recent annoyances in Greece give a rough outline of what could be in store. The price of rescue might very well demand any and all of remaining in the EU, adopting the €uro and joining Schengen.

Some call this taking back control. I call it bloo dy stupid.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 10 Feb 2019 11:47

I bet some MPs are keeping diaries and waiting for the day to publish the "memoirs" :-D