General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No deal brexit

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron2

Ron2 Report 13 Mar 2019 19:32

Such deal rejected by 4 votes. I voted OUT I want OUT. So much for democracy in this crap third world country. May should be forced out

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Mar 2019 20:14

May and God knows how many MP's they're acting like little kids if I can't play the way I want to then no one is playing.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Mar 2019 20:16

The House has voted against brexit without a deal on a permanent basis. It has not voted against brexit. Further it is a policy resolution not legislation. As it stands the UK will leave the EU 29 March. If there is a vote for a S50 extension then May will have to move a S. I. Modifying the date. Simples.
Brexiters were quite happy with a narrow referendum win. They wanted control to be with parliament. Now they have it.
Meanwhile May is planning on a 3rd vote in plan A even though Erskine has banned such repeat votes since 1943. Bercow has intimated that he will follow the 1943 decision.
As usual scant attention is being paid to what the EU might think.

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Mar 2019 20:56

They haven't voted against but they're doing their best to P everyone off enough to give up....delay....delay...delay......taking my football and not letting you play with it :-P

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Mar 2019 21:53

Well Caroline we had a referendum in 1975.
The brexiters never accepted the result and destroyed several Conservative administrations. That included by far the most competent Mrs T. Mrs T. Invented the single market which has been the basis of UK freedom and prosperity.
Now the wreckers may not get what they want they don't much like it.
As May has now framed matters there will be changes in statute law.
either there will be a short delay AFTER the house has ratified the deal (subject to Bercow's ruling) OR a very long delay as a result of which brexit as we knew it Jim will effectively be dead. Labour are all over the place as much as the Tories.
If the house does not vote for a delay acceptable to the EU then the UK will exit 29 March. As MPs main focus remains party politics leaving with no deal remains the most likely outcome. I sure hope not.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Mar 2019 23:50

The percentage difference is similar to the 2016 Referendum result.
If that vote was fair and acceptable to you, so should this vote be.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Mar 2019 23:56

Quite.

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Mar 2019 10:02

"Well Caroline we had a referendum in 1975."

Noooooo really!!

If I remember correctly that like this was careful/cleverly worded to try and get everyone to do the right thing eg what the men in control wanted.

Let's be honest most politicians would be happiest if the great unwashed masses never had a vote in anything.....

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Mar 2019 10:17

Not at all Caroline. Tory PM Heath dragged a reluctant UK (and EU) into the EU with no thought of referenda. Against the background of the first miner's strike Labour Wilson returned to power. The LP were riven by EU membership with a majority, led by far leftie Tony Benn, dead against. Wilson had a small majority and opted for a popular vote to hold his party together in the same way as Cameron in 2010. There was no Deep State.
This is real life - snafu - not tv.

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Mar 2019 10:33

Decisions aren't always easy.

Some cannot decide what they really want until its unceremoniously plonked on their lap.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Mar 2019 10:49

On the handful of times when I visited Canada I did not see much evidence of the great unwashed far from it. Otoh what the ERG calls Empire2 has as much chaos at the top as the UK. Yep, Ottawa, Canberra. At least they have the grace not to poke the eye of London unlike several fragile EU states headed by France, Spain and Austria.

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Mar 2019 11:47

Really Rollo well Canada is made up with the same class system as the UK, and the politicians are just the same they think they know best, can't speak for Australia.

Anyway back in 1975 people were told they were joining a union of trading partners.....but we've been through this before haven't we......

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Mar 2019 12:08

"back in 1975 people were told they were joining a union of trading partners"
This is a popular myth.
The government paid for a free copy of the Treaty of Rome to be sent to every UK household. Most I guess did not bother to read it.

Anyway ... page 1.

Treaty of Rome

The 1957 Treaty Establishing the European Community contained the objective of “ever closer union” in the following words in the Preamble. In English this is: “Determined to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe …..”.

Article 2 of the Treaty also promoted the ‘spirit’ of closer union in its description of the aims of the Community, ending with “closer relations between the States belonging to it”.

It has never been possible for a technologically advanced medium size state to stand alone in the modern era. In order to survive they have to compromise on their independence to greater or lesser degree. Japan, S Korea, Canada threw in their lot with the USA. The UK could have done the same but chose not to.

Instead it decided to join in with a bunch of countries many of whom it had been at war with at one time or another. The economics of this were sound the politics less so which is why we are where we are today.

Up until the Lisbon Treaty the UK could have pulled out of the EU without too much collateral damage so long as it joined NAFTA. ROI would probably have gone along with it. This option was in fact explored in depth by the UK with the unsuprising conclusion that it could work very well .... for the Brits. Uncle Sam's lot though rapidly cooled on the idea as they felt the UK, larger than any state, would throw its weight around thus reversing the Boston Tea Party. And so we went with Lisbon.

Since then businesses based in the UK have taken full advantage. The politics has signally failed to keep ujp thanks largely to the red top press and chancers such as Aaaron Banks, Rees-Mogg and UKIP.

Hug your friends but hug your enemies closer.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Mar 2019 13:14

I think we need to remember that everybody is flying blind on this one. There is no precedent at all and, should other countries consider leaving in the future, and they surely will, our exit will set their precedent.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Mar 2019 13:25

Do really, seriously think that the go almighty clusterf which is brexit is likely to inspire emulation by another EU state? Even the clowns running ( or not ) Italy and Hungary have gone cold on the idea.

Serbia and Montenegro are expected to join by 2025.

heh heh

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Mar 2019 13:28

Yes.

Whatever happens in the future of the EU, our exit will set a precedent.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Mar 2019 13:41

Then lay your money down!

https://www.yell.com/biz/betpoint-southampton-8137913/#view=popup4923

"But I said "Well there must be more"
When some man said he fought in the war
For me and I was ungrateful
He said "Gimme another drink Mable
For all those good times then".
And Mable said "You can say that again".
And they did 'till they were unable.
They laid their money down,
They just laid their money down."

R Mctell

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Mar 2019 16:27

Ummm....maybe just maybe...the bosses are trying to make it a tad difficult for the Uk to leave to frighten other countries from leaving.....

As for the misunderstanding....I'm not sure I'd need to check with my mother whether she received the booklet or not, but misunderstanding or not that's what lots believed...trade was what they believed and that was what the teachers were telling us kids....not political control.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Mar 2019 21:19

The EU is the biggest scam in history :-(
When I voted out I wanted Out and still do sooner the better :-( :-(

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 14 Mar 2019 21:35

Why do some Politicians think they can go against what the country decided.
Out means OUT. Their opinions don't count.

. The sooner the better, cause the EU is sucking the life out of this country financially.
Am sick of us having to bail out other countries . Our taxes, our money, our Country first not last.

The EU want to make it hard for us to leave, cause they need us and our money.
my answer to them is s*d off.