General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DUP.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2019 17:30

What's going on over there?

Will they or wont they? Uncertainty is doing my brain no good at all particularly after my dental visit yesterday!

*Cue: RTR invited to enlighten us all & Mrs May about the apparent conundrum. :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Mar 2019 18:49

Well I never ..... I thought it was you I saw in my dentist's yesterday, Dermot. :-D

I hope your gnashers were fine; mine were. See you in nine months - looking like this, I hope :-D :-D :-D

Whatever's going on with the DUP is not as important to me as my toosie pegs. :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Mar 2019 07:23

Almost a quarter of a million applications for Irish passports have been submitted in under three months.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Mar 2019 11:09

All the immigrants in the country

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Mar 2019 11:30

Sue - More likely to be people born in England, Scotland or Wales who have Irish grandparents/parents.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2019 11:39

Ah - but weren't their parents/grandparents immigrants?

My nephew got an Irish passport last year - his grandparents were immigrants from Eire.
I asked him if he'd be happy to live in Eire (somewhere he lived as a toddler), just in case there's a 'Windrush' backlash in the future.

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Mar 2019 14:12

' The DUP's case has always been that Northern Ireland is, and should remain as British as Finchley - the north London constituency that was represented in the House of Commons by Margaret Thatcher.'

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Mar 2019 14:25

Now I was told in no uncertain terms from a member on here that I could not get an Irish passport even though My gran was born in the Republic of Ireland

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Mar 2019 16:40

It does not matter where on the island of Ireland your parent or grandparent was born - all are entitled to a ROI passport. Holding one does not prevent holding a UK passport as well.

Anybody born in the ROI OR N.I. is entitled to an Irish passport.

Holders of UK passports are entitled to live in the ROI and vice versa - that is part of the 1922 settlement nothing to do with the EU or GFA.

After 4 years legal residence in the ROI anybody can apply for a ROI passport regardless of where they were born. Of course once in possession of a ROI passport a person can freely move to the UK.

Holders of CI & IOM passports do not have right of residence in the EU.
Neither will Gib passport holders after brexit.

The DUP does not represent a majority of people in N.I. whnich voted 56% to remain. Both London and Dublin have the right to call a unification referendum if they had good reason to expect it to pass. Neither can veto the other. The referendum would be on an all Ireland basis. At this time there is not a majority for this north or south but the gap is closing.

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Mar 2019 12:57

The lack of certainty scares many.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Mar 2019 13:40

"If they wanted to go there then they should not have started from here."

- the wee man from Ballymena

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Mar 2019 14:07

'If you don't know where you're going, you'll be lost when you get there'.

(Yogi Berra).