General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Die In a Ditch".

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Sep 2019 09:25

The PM's disrespect for those who died in the trenches. :-0

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 Sep 2019 09:53

I think you are reading too much into his remark TBH.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 6 Sep 2019 09:55

To those of a certain age and remember the Bumblies I think of Boris as number 3's brother. :-D

Jemima

Jemima Report 6 Sep 2019 09:55

Disrespect for those who died in the trenches?!! Are you serious? If so, what a particularly idiotic comment! Do you honestly think the PM used that phrase to deliberately insult the fallen? FGS!! you're beyond belief! :-S :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Sep 2019 10:10

I wanted to like Boris, I really did, even though I am as far from supporting him in this current nonsense as can be.

But I don't agree Dermot, I don't think he was disrespecting the fallen ( he said a ditch not a trench...there's a big difference!) , or indeed being serious, any more than when I say I would rather poke my eyes out than look at Farage or Trump ( and others) on the news... I'm not disrespecting the blind, or partially sighted, I have vision problems so I know losing sight is no joke!

It was just an expression, if that's the worst he has ever said or says in the coming weeks, I will "eat my hat" !

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Sep 2019 12:51

shows just how siily people in this country are,you cant use a phrase without someone "reading into it or being offended "

what are we coming to when everyday phrases are a no no

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2019 15:55

A lot of fuss about nothing, in my opinion.

Although I am no fan of Boris, the statement was not inflammatory nor ought it to have been taken out of context. It was as it was spoken and no more than that.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Sep 2019 16:39

In the midst of diverse interpretations & conflicting opinions, I'm beginning to learn slowly but surely that sometimes my own opinion is best kept to myself.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2019 16:48

Dermot, we can post what we feel like posting but not everyone will agree. It should not stop any of us from doing so.

It would be a dull old world if we were all of the same mind.

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Sep 2019 19:08

Not at all Dermot, but this time you're certainly way off the mark in your opinion of what he meant.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Sep 2019 20:44

The phrase "to die in a ditch" means to expire in ignominy for whatever reason. It is commonly use to emphasise strong disagreement which is how BoJo used it.

In no way has it ever applied to fighting men killed in a trench and BoJo did not use the phrase in that sense.

Much as I delight in the pieces by John Grace mauling what little of BoJo's reputation is left confusing "ditch" and "trench" is unhelpful.

Dermot is welcome to his opinions which are often interesting but he needs to get his etymology right too.

If BoJo did do the decent thing in November and resign I would not shed a tear.

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Sep 2019 17:11

Some phone-in contributors to today's BBC Radio 4 'Any Answers' were not overly impressed with Boris Johnson's unfortunate mention of 'ditch'.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2019 17:18

More people who don't know the difference between 'a ditch' and 'the trenches' then.

Probably the same people who think Florence Nightingale, " the lady with the lamp", was a cinema usherette. ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Sep 2019 17:33

Radio4 "Any Answers" is well past its deletion date.

ditch, trench are not synonyms as in

"He died in a ditch " - bankrupt, lovelorn, alcoholic etc etc
"He died in the trenches" - fighting the Bosch

I thought you had a library of reference works starting from the Ark ...
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.

BoJo is a pain in the butt but there is no need to pillory him for something he did not do ( insult the war dead ) . He is quite capable of making himself look a bad lot by having Yorkshire's finest hang around waiting for him.

Now Cummings has to let BoJo out without minders we can look forward to at least two more months of oafism. It may brighten a dull day and will give employment to satirists and political cartoonists. Who knows by the end of November the expelled Tories may outnumber those in good standing with Cummings.

Is it Boris' intention to emulate other "strong leaders" and do some time as a guest at HMP Ford before moving on to being the ultimate leader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOag1BZDb4o

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Sep 2019 17:40

Of course, the deceased have no opportunity to debate 'ditch' v 'trench'.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2019 17:48

Of course the dead don't have a say, but if they did they would say that anyone who doesn't know the difference between a ditch and the trenches, never dug the former or fought the enemy from the latter!

Bob

Bob Report 7 Sep 2019 19:43

I've dug many a slit trench in my time. Any squaddie will be familiar with "Dig in, cam up"

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Sep 2019 11:19

Famous last words

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2019/sep/07/famous-last-words-cartoon

Jemima

Jemima Report 8 Sep 2019 20:12

What a stupid conversation!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Sep 2019 10:12

"If you deliver an opinion at all, it is mere stupidity not to do it with an air of conviction and well-founded knowledge. You make it your own in uttering it, and naturally get fond of it."

Geo Eliott