General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's November!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Nov 2019 15:10

It's November, just in case anyone hadn't realised or have we just come to accept that the millennials running Genes are amongst those that find war just too intense!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Nov 2019 15:14

I you talking about lack of a poppy? I think they usually put one up a few days into November

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Nov 2019 17:33

I thought that last year they had been very quick to do it and it is now the 4th.

I think it was on Good Morning Britain that a young man said that learning about WW11 was too intense. Obviously never learnt about the trenches in W WW1. Then there were Lord Sugars apprentices who seemed to have no idea when WW11 started.

:-|

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 Nov 2019 21:22

Hello

I totally agree.

Displaying the poppy is long overdue on GR.

I don't think it's much too ask.

Take care, Nameless and Ann
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Nov 2019 10:12

Looks like FMP doesn’t have one either. :-|

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Nov 2019 11:21

FMP's poppy has gone up, it was up yesterday on FB, but is on the main site now also.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Nov 2019 14:59

Behold! A poppy has appeared. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Nov 2019 17:40

Remember, Remember the Fifth of November.

Guy Fawkes Day for those born in the UK.

I'm sure that recently the poppy has not appeared until about now.

If we could remember that GR WILL show a poppy, then we don't have to have any angst.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'd much rather the poppy appear later rather than sooner ................ October 31st is a big date in North America and Guy Fawkes in the UK, the poppy gets lost in all that foofarah.

Waiting until 5 or 6 days before November 11th gives the poppy more impact, IMHO.

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Nov 2019 17:59

Of interest maybe, to those who don't usually look at FMP's fb page,

"This Friday we’re hosting a live broadcast with our resident expert, Myko Clelland. If you have any questions for him about military records...." etc

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Nov 2019 18:47

Well if the baubles don't appear on 1st Dec,,,,,,

I will stamp my foot ,I will..

GR never have not had a poppy,,patience.

With that,, its been tradition since we have had profile options that members have always displayed a poppy ,,,,,,,some are lacking!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Nov 2019 00:36

Kay ............

not everyone has had a poppy showing as their profile.

I have never done it, and I do not think I am in the minority either.

I prefer not to do it on here, and that is my personal choice

It doesn't mean that I think any the less of Remembrance Day. I had both a grandfather and an uncle serving in WW1, and father and uncles in Restricted Service in WW2, and OH has relations serving and killed in both wars. We all remember and observe in our own ways.

Just as I/we have never put up Christmas decorations until about a week before Christmas. Our choice.

Kense

Kense Report 6 Nov 2019 07:51

Last year it appeared on 2nd November. As noted in a thread started by Caroline.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1374338

Thread about removing it

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1374535