General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reading Material.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Dec 2019 15:13

Our local hospital has requested 'donations' of old magazines, which would normally be recycled, for long-term elderly patients reading material.

Apparently, watching the hospital TV for hours on end has no great restorative properties to offer the recovering patients.

I have had help from three local churches having publicised the idea in their weekly newsletters.

So far, I have been able to deliver 2 boot-loads to the hospital having first checked them to ensure the content was 'family friendly' - if you get my meaning!

Interesting to see if the initial enthusiasm continues. Only time will tell. A good rewarding attempt nonetheless.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Dec 2019 15:26

Well done Dermot on two counts. something to read for patients and magazines saved from being destroyed, at least for the moment.

Phyll

Phyll Report 2 Dec 2019 15:56

I have heard that second hand magazines are one of the biggest germ carriers, but good on yer Dermot.

Island

Island Report 2 Dec 2019 16:04

Same here Phyll, magazines and flowers were a no-no at the hospital my mum was in long term 10 years ago because of germs. I don't know what the policy is now.

But well done Dermot at his local.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Dec 2019 17:19

About 15 years ago, we tried to pass on many years worth of National Geographic. We contacted hospitals, care homes, etc etc

No-one wanted them.

They all said they no longer took donated magazines because their patients did not read them :-(

My sis-in-law died in 2014, she also had many years worth of National Geographic and other magazines. Her children contacted their local hospital and care home .......... it's a small town of about 5,000 in the centre of a large agricultural area (think "market town").

No-one wanted them.

They had to take them and a complete set of the Encyclopedia Brittanica to the local dump.

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Dec 2019 18:54

The initial request came directly from the hospital & I'm relying on the authorities there to assess the pros & cons mentioned above.

There were some brilliant photos of the Royal Family (in happier times, perhaps) taken during many special occasions over the years. Those alone cheered me up greatly & I have no doubt the recuperating patients will benefit likewise.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 Dec 2019 20:49

More than likely the hospital has no room to store/distribute them...??

Allan

Allan Report 2 Dec 2019 20:55

Some hospitals in OZ don't even have room for patients, let alone magazines :-|

Sue

Sue Report 2 Dec 2019 21:30

My GPs Surgery has not had magazines for a few years now because of the germ factor.
Having said that, i always buy lots of books from charity shops as they provide different and interesting books.

I think its a matter for personal choice.

It is good of you to give your time and support.!!

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 Dec 2019 06:12

That reminds me of a Tommy Cooper joke as he sat in his GP's waiting room rummaging through some very old magazines to pass the time.

"Wasn't that awfully sad about the Titanic!" :-(

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 3 Dec 2019 09:46

Just wondering if my local library fumigates the books each time they are returned ;-)

I am sure most of us would wash our hands before eating or cooking after reading magazines and books - even new ones could have been picked up and looked at by countless people before we buy them. And those that don't probably won't be washing their hands after other activities either :-0 :-0

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Dec 2019 00:41

I was introduced to "readers digest"
in a waiting room...

Sue

Sue Report 4 Dec 2019 12:23

Oh ! Crumbs, !!!!

:-D :-D :-D