General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Horrendous Fires In Australia

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Dec 2019 22:55

On the news tonight it showed pictures of fireman trying to put fires out they looked exhausted .the wildlife people & homes destroyed by the horror it said it's going towards the Blue Mountains we are to late to stop global warming selfish world is destroying it 4_ 5 car family's going abroad further than ever before long journeys & even trips 2 hrs on a plane but that's what people want now I fear for the future. What do we know about flying things going round .satalites rockets it is very sad greedy world .everybody want things yesterday so roads chocker with very large wagons 24.7 to keep consumers happy Sorry but 24 hr supermarkets .one day off Christmas Day not happy at all solution ? Barbara

Allan

Allan Report 21 Dec 2019 23:23

Gaia will protect her own, Barbra, but somehow I don't see homo sapiens being part of it.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Dec 2019 05:29

My Mum used to say the weather got worse once 'they started sending those things to the Moon'

I think she might have been rightl

Seeing those terrible fires is awful, the firemen are at risk as they fight as best they can to slow the fire surgeing through the country. So many people and animals etc affected.

Lizx

Allan

Allan Report 22 Dec 2019 09:14

Not A Merry Christmas for so many :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Dec 2019 05:51

Disgusted to see that a thief stole wallets etc from the firestation while the men were fire fighting. Such an awful thing to do.

Lizx

David

David Report 23 Dec 2019 07:52

A small named Balmoral SW of Sidney was destroyed in minutes :-0

Barbra

Barbra Report 23 Dec 2019 09:38

Liz that's despicable fireman risking their lives to help doesn't look as though the fires will be out any time soon Tragic Barbara x David saw on the news

Allan

Allan Report 23 Dec 2019 20:46

Unfortunately it seems to be the norm for some people. Despite a police presence, many of the evacuated homes will be looted. :-(

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Dec 2019 15:15

Fires still raging in Australia one out of three koala are dead it's still taking lives Animals destroying property awful .been thinking about events even though it's Christmas <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 30 Dec 2019 12:37

Up date 30.000 homes evacuated due to heat wave God Help them tragic we moan about our dull weather bet they wouldn't mind some in OZ could other countries not help to get fires out Think it's wrong firework display in Sydney .just saying :-(

Allan

Allan Report 30 Dec 2019 21:15

Barbra, Firies have joined from other countries, as well as from interstate. Despite our own bushfires in WA, minor in comparison to the Eastern States, many WA volunteer Firies have also travelled east to assist.

Unfortunately another firefighter has now died.

I also agree with you re the Sydney Firework display both from the safety factor, and the sheer cost, 5.8 million dollars :-|

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Jan 2020 16:37

Military now helping with the fires more people have lost their lives all perish in these awfull fires praying for every one involved <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Jan 2020 16:40

I looks like half a continent is alight.

Allan

Allan Report 1 Jan 2020 20:20

Not quite, Sharron, but the fires are affecting the most densely populated States, and many historical towns have been very badly affected :-(

At least eight civilian deaths reported, which does not include the firies, and some people still unaccounted for. :-( :-(

some fires have been burning for weeks now

Allan

Allan Report 2 Jan 2020 10:28

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/australian-troops-prepare-for-bushfire-emergency-evacuations-by-sea/live-coverage/cf3d149ec9bbb9b7eb808e663eec8a28

I have no sympathy for the tourists caught up in the fires. For some time before Christmas people were being advised not to travel and to cancel holiday arrangements

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 2 Jan 2020 11:04

Terrible times for some. The Princes Highway was a lovely route to take. We used it to travel north then returned inland.

If past fires are anything to judge by, it would not surprise me if at least one will have been started by an arsonist, sadly. Such awful people.

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Jan 2020 12:11

Gail (Ruby Slippers) has posted on FB that she is safe but she is ready to move.

SueMaid is about two hours away from the fires as yet but they are getting some smoke and watching out for hot smuts that can cause fires.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Jan 2020 12:16

The Aussie PM has been welcomed at one place ;-) :-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Jan 2020 12:36

Morrison is a droid in the pay of Peabody and Indian coal interests. He was a prime mover in wrecking the Madrid climate summit

My family has been closely involved with Oz ( and NZ ) for over a century. I have many close rellies in NSW while my niece lives in Queensland . The last few weeks have been very scary to say the least of it.

A very sour mood is coming up in Australia and the pollies haven't got a clue what to do. So far they have done nothing (other than go on holiday) which obviously has not worked.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/01/we-know-this-disaster-is-unprecedented-no-amount-of-scott-morrison-spin-can-hide-it

Australia does not have the resources to cope with the current crisis and is risking disaster. Canberra should be asking countries with the resources and know how to help as a matter of urgency (USA, Canada) not calling on "Ozzie Grit". This is not Gallipoli. Not yet.

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jan 2020 12:42

Canada has sent firefighters not long after this started can't speak for the USA.