General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just need a rant.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Dec 2019 06:34

Hubby was sent a bowel cancer test kit, I think he chucked it out cos he didn’t want to do it it, he has a reminder letter about it and told me not to worry because he isn’t going to do it, am I right to worry and care or just over reacting? Because I went mad at him about it.

Allan

Allan Report 31 Dec 2019 07:10

ZZzzz, it may be embarrassing, but wise to do it.

I've done two or three now, courtesy of the Government, all OK.

Recently had a phone call from my brother who had a colonoscopy done and was found to have a type of polyp that could be a precursor for bowel cancer. This is possibly an inherited type and he was just advising me in case. Our grandmother died from bowel cancer

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Dec 2019 08:44

Yes it is embarrassing but only the patient is and the relevant doctors and nurses have seen it many times, I don’t know why he won’t do it though, whether it’s what he has to do or the possible result. Anyway I’m Mrs Angry with him at the moment.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 31 Dec 2019 09:09

My brother-in-law died 4 years ago from inoperable bowel cancer. He always ignored these kits, he also ignored his symptoms. Preventative screening is there for a reason, it won't 'catch' everything but must be effective enough to warrant the expense. Don't get the embarrassment bit, it's not a personal examination :-S

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Dec 2019 09:28

Exactly SheilaWestWilts. I think maybe he thinks he has to touch his own ??, is it a man thing do you think, if it is then I think it is unmanly/wimp type of thing.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 31 Dec 2019 09:32

My LATE brother in law ignored symptoms and my sister's pleas to go to the docs until he was in so much pain he couldn't cope with it. That's why he's late.

My daughter's friend died this year aged 40 with it, another who had warning symptoms but his was an aggressive type.

OH's step brother saved at 30 as he played sport with 2 doctors and asked for advice, his mother started to talk to her family and people started admitting that they had it in their family and kept it quiet. Both her parents had died from it (unbeknown to her) 1 brother already dead another who refused to do tests later died. Nephews had been hit with deaths and big ops.All kept quiet which cancer it was. OH's step mother went to docs for advice - sent for check up and cancer found. She was in her 60s she died almost 90. Her children and grandchildren have annual check ups and non cancerous polyps removed in a couple of them.

Threaten to start telling family members, friends etc about how stupid he is being if he doesn't do test. Shame him into it.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 31 Dec 2019 09:36

The newest test only involves taking one sample instead of three as the older one did, so it is easier to do.
You are right to rant at him.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Dec 2019 09:40

PatinCyprus, that is exactly what intend to do. So sad that people ignore the symptoms, my Aunt at the age of 74 needed to have a hysterectomy but she had little idea that it was cancer and had 3 rounds of chemotherapy as a result and still not out of the woods yet.

Kuros

Kuros Report 31 Dec 2019 13:32

My husband ignored the kits the first few times until he was diagnosed with kidney cancer. He does them every time now.

Annie

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Dec 2019 14:07

Used the kit myself and getting my husband to do same....if like ours basically easy to use and could save your life a no brainer as they say.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Dec 2019 15:24

My OH was very good and did them every time from the first until they stopped sending them because we had reached 75.

My grandfather died from it and my aunt had an op. and lived another 20 years. My brother-in-law, a doctor, had symptoms, saw an oncologist, had the op and is now fine, several years later.

Zzzz, I agree with the others, tell him it is better to be safe than sorry.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Dec 2019 16:12

We both did the tests until too old to have them. You can't make him do the test but you can tell him all the stories that are on here. Some people avoid tests because they are scared of the result, If found early enough tell him there are excellent chances of recovery. If he has thrown the test out though there is not a lot you can do about it now.
You could also tell him he is being selfish too as a lot of people over 75 would have liked the opportunity to continue getting the tests sent to them.

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Dec 2019 16:29

I know somebody who had a letter back asking them not to send such a big lump next time.

Annx

Annx Report 31 Dec 2019 18:11

It's worth noting that ' if you're 75 or over, you can ask for a home testing kit every 2 years by calling the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60'.

MIL died of bowel cancer at age 82 after ignoring symptoms for a long time. I also have 2 friends who had polyps removed because they did the free bowel tests. They now have regular follow up to check for more polyps as they can become cancerous.

You keep onto him as you don't have to touch anything to do the test, that's what the stick is for. It could save his life and the months of illness.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 31 Dec 2019 20:01

He’s probably just being a bloke. I was sent the test strips few years back but simply couldn’t be bothered to do the tests not because I considered it dirty or owt. Then had over 2 years of bowel probs resulting last summer with two weeks of the trots then 2 weeks of vomiting.
Turned out the bowel was full and couldn’t accept any food. Eventually, in August 18 was a case of emergency admission to hospital, CT scan etc and they found the bowel cancer on the Thursday. I was quite ill. The consultant wanted me to have emergency op’ on the Friday night but couldnt get a team together until the Saturday morning. I then had a bowel stent inserted. The bowel then emptied but wot a mess, had to have a week in hospital
In December 18 I had the four hour stoma op but had been warned of possible probs/survival as I had heart attack some years ago and had heart probs, plus, on the pre op assessment they found I had a heart murmur and that I also needed a blood transfusion. They cut out the infected part of the bowel, cut hole in me belly and created a stoma so that body waste exits into a stoma bag. That was another week in hospital.

All this because I couldn’t be bothered to test.

Had another CT scan early 2019 and they found the cancer had spread to my gut, nowt could be done apart from chemo to stop cancer spreading to major organs. I’m 79 and refused chemo – discussed with family. Sooooooo all I know is I have terminal cancer but no knowledge of how long I have left as not having tests of any sort..

All this because I couldn’t be bothered to test

I am leading a more or less normal life but tis painful as I have arthritis and I’m old of course – lost a lot of strength but laid some turf in the summer and did some paving but I’m very slow, did other diy jobs as well.

Your hubby needs a kick up backside and told to get sorted. He doesn’t want to have to go thro what I have gone thro

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Jan 2020 15:22

Dear me you have gone through it Ron .hope you are comfortable look after yourself .we all go use the loo nothing new there but a test is life saving surely. My OH has Ulcerated Colitis he's had it 14years .after being really ill .lots of test over a few weeks .but he is okay diet is important no nuts or seeds. Please if you can get tested. Get it done It could save your life .Barbara

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jan 2020 15:36

Ron I hope Zzzzz's OH listens to your story. Sorry you have been so Ill I had thought the other day we had not seen you posting. Let us hope that the cancer you have is a very slow growing one and that you can continue to enjoy life for some time.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Jan 2020 07:40

Always important to take any tests going!

I am sorry you've had such a tough time Ron, hope the future is comfortable for you.

Lizx

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jan 2020 12:46

Ron I’m so sorry that you have suffered so much and hope you are good now, hubby will most definitely have a kick up the backside from me when he is back from working abroad. Thank you for posting what you have and I shall tell:him about it.

Linda

Linda Report 2 Jan 2020 22:54

My next door neighbour done his about seven or eight years ago no symptoms but it came back positive he was very ill but glad to say mr grumpy ( my nickname for him ) his wife and I are good friends he made a full recovery so yes it is worth it because 9 times out of 10 it comes ok