General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Civil partnership......

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Island

Island Report 31 Dec 2019 19:23

...is now legal in England and Wales, as from this morning :-D

I wasn't expecting that for ages!
:-D :-D

Von

Von Report 31 Dec 2019 19:52

Not before time. :-| :-| :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Dec 2019 20:00

I don't suppose we will be bothered to do that either.

Dermot

Dermot Report 31 Dec 2019 20:00

Sexual regulations within marriage may be defined as the association of mates for the care of their offspring.

Marriage is a variable institution, which has passed through almost every conceivable form & experiment in the course of its history from the primitive care of offspring without association of mates to the modern association of mates without the production of any offspring.

Island

Island Report 31 Dec 2019 20:03

we will :-D it tidies up legal imbalances.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Dec 2019 20:30

As one that went down the traditional route, nearly 60 years ago,

there seems to be some merit in the latest version of unification......

although it appears to be that as you ain't actually married....you cant get divorced???

and like it or not the other partners kids are now your step children.....

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Dec 2019 20:56

Call me a bit daft but civil partnerships came about for gay couples as the nearest thing to a marriage awhile ago as before marriage wasn't possible between same sex couples. ok I get that.
So why would a straight couple want a civil partnership instead of a marriage?

If they get the same rights etc as a married couple, then whats the point of a civil partnership?
Sorry is it just me or does anyone else think the same?

Florence in the hebrides
:-S :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Dec 2019 21:15

For one thing I would never want to be thought of as a respectable married woman.

I suppose you get the legalities tied up without it being anybody elses business.

Island

Island Report 31 Dec 2019 21:30

Exactly Sharron :-D

I've never wanted to be 'princess' for the day and hated the idea of being regarded as a mans property to be handed over to another man. etc etc etc.....

Some couples just don't want to bow down to what others think they should do.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2019 21:57

If I ever 'committed' again, I'd go for a Civil Partnership too :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Dec 2019 22:26

I always thought that if I had wanted to wear white I would have been a painter and decorator.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2019 22:51

I got married in a Registry Office - and wore maroon (actually a very loose Indian dress, that didn't quite hide the bump) :-D
We had 4 people there (brother's motorbike broke down), my mum, herr 'fascisto' (her husband), ex's aunt and her best friend (from Sri Lanka), so that was a good mix!

Went back to our house for the 'reception' - sandwiches - and our workmates from the farm & veg. factory turned up in their lunch hour. :-D :-D :-D :-D
I went to bed - very bad morning sickness.

......just like to add, ex and I had been 'going out' for 6 years!

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Dec 2019 23:38

We have been together thirty-two years without any outside interference but it would be good to get a bit more of his pension when I kill him or he would get the tenancy if he got to me first.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2019 23:44

So a good reason to have a Civil partnership, then?
Non-religious, not sexist, but ensures the Council/Government doesn't get what you've worked for /protected/treated well :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Jan 2020 09:50

Well........I didn't know that!!

Parents of a new-born child are legally required to register the birth within 42 days in order to obtain a birth certificate and give the baby a legal identity.

However, the Legitimacy Act requires parents to re-register the birth if they subsequently get married, even if the father is already on the birth certificate.

According to the Equal Civil Partnerships campaign group, town hall clerks appear to be applying this to the thousands of mixed-sex civil partnerships expected over the next year.

Since the earliest date on which these couples could notify of their intention to form a civil partnership, December 2, the campaign’s Facebook page has been inundated with messages expressing bewilderment, concern and anger that existing children could be deemed in any way illegitimate.

but surely, if you are not married, and have children........they ARE......?????

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Jan 2020 11:32

The position of a husband in the family is superficial & incidental, while that of a mother is fundamental & supreme. ;-)

Island

Island Report 1 Jan 2020 11:50

Children shouldn't be stigmatised because their parents have chosen not to marry, Bob. I thought we'd moved on from that.

I may get back to you on that Dermot :-S

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Jan 2020 12:27

I agree that children shouldn't be stigmatised because their parents aren't married, nor, as used to happen, if their parents are divorced, but they are legally illegitimate. Civil marriages will solve that.

There are advantages and disadvantages, but at least the option is now available for those who want it.

Island

Island Report 1 Jan 2020 12:49

The law should be changed Andysmum and abolish the stigmatising of children.

What are you thinking the 'advantages and disadvantages' are? I'm thinking civil reg will turn disadvantages into advantages ie equal rights.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Jan 2020 14:13

Like it or like it not,

zer lerr izz zer lerr

doesn't bother me either way....