General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Little green step?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2020 13:34

The electrician who came to do our wiring check was a Bulgarian girl.

Because I have many, many,(my Prozac) I offered her a couple of dishcloths that I have knitted. She didn't know what they were and said she didn't know if she would have a use for them so I explained what they were used for, how they can be boiled and bleached into infinity before you put them to rot in the compost and that they were traditional and everybody's granny used them.

After that she went off very pleased.

I like to think this might be another little step forward in saving the planet..

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Jan 2020 14:25

Every step helps :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2020 18:12

What?

Am I supposed to have lied about our electrician?

I didn't inquire of her qualifications anymore than I inquire of yours to pontificate on just about everything.

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Jan 2020 18:53

Maybe she did qualify in the UK, why assume she didn't!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2020 19:21

What an assumption, RTR.
She's Bulgarian, ergo, she can't be qualified?
....or is it because she's a woman?

You'll be saying next, that she wasn't Bulgarian - because she spoke English

Island

Island Report 7 Jan 2020 19:53

and perchance that she wasn't a woman because she is a sparks :-\

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Jan 2020 20:03

Did you offer her a cuppa Sharron after her long journey from Bulgeria.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 7 Jan 2020 20:08

What a T**t comment,I know many women that do so called '' male jobs''' and all are fully qualified. In fact many of them probably do a better job than some so called men

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jan 2020 20:29

Rollo was just pointing out that being qualified in the EU is not the same as being qualified here. Isn't it useful to know that?

Have none of you ever heard of people who let unqualified electricians/plumbers /gas engineers in to 'fiddle'? Presumably Sharron wouldn't.

If anyone else had mentioned being cautious about qualifications everyone would have nodded wisely!

edit X posted, and typo removed.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Jan 2020 20:32

I'm sure Sharrons HA follow all rules regarding work on their property..

:-D :-D,

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jan 2020 21:03

Our electrician comes from Yorkshire.

It costs us a small fortune in airfares when we want something done :-0

We've long got over the fact that he's from the wrong side of the Pennines. :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2020 21:12

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2020 21:13

I thought I was posting about my dishcloths.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Jan 2020 21:23

RTR,
as an aside, while working for a flour mill in London, in the 60's it came to pass that a complete electrical inspection was actioned....
I think that this building was at that time, probably about 60 years old and had. through the years many additions and alterations......

the firm that did the inspection was well known......and thorough.....covers were removed and replaced, electrical tests done ...various conditions...ie trans former oil replaced, overloads reset

however Running conditions over the years meant that changes were made, ...overload oils were thicker than original, and settings were made fit for purpose...
and so on....

however these inspectors changed things back to what the text book suggested

and the first weeks after startup were horrendous,

hardly anything would run for long......and it took us four permanent staff ages to re adjust things so that they ran for a complete shift, without breakdowns

perhaps Sharrons' Electrician was only trained, to inspect things, rather than dive in and alter things as she saw fit?

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jan 2020 21:25

Shocking isn't it, Sharron ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Jan 2020 21:27

Not seen a dishcloth for 40 years!!! So what do you wash your dishes with then Rollo? What do you wipe your units/table with then?

Sharon, the one you gave me is very well used so thankyou very much.

Florence in the hebrides

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Jan 2020 21:28

Well I hope the young lady is putting them to good use Sharron

,,she may even be straining her supper pasta through one at this very moment.

;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2020 21:33

There are those with no need of a dishcloth. They usually use the M&S range of cleaning materials, most of which have leg holes.

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jan 2020 21:43

:-D :-D :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Jan 2020 21:46

:-D :-D.