General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

80 ....................

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2020 23:07

yes, I had my 80th birthday today

a few aches and pains (more some days than others), but inside my head, I'm nowhere near that age!

I never thought I would be 80, just as I never thought I would still be alive in 2020 (let alone 2000), but thinking back to the 60s and what was prophesied life would be like "today" ....................

is life anything like what you thought it would be???

We have a little more money and a more comfortable life than I would have imagined, but otherwise we have none of those robotic things!

We don't fly around everywhere, we prefer the quieter slower travel on trains.

We don't have a driver-less car, but we also don't drive long distances.

We read books and newspapers, not watch or read on our iPad (which we don't have.

We're happy, which is everything!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2020 23:18

Happy Birthday, Sylvia!! :-D :-D <3 :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Jan 2020 23:22

well done yoo izz now an octogenarian.....
xx

Bob

Barbra

Barbra Report 7 Jan 2020 23:23

Happy Birthday Sylvia congratulations x like you I read newspapers & books love music all kind. love life if you are comfortable & keep healthy that's the main thing you had a wonderful Christmas & New year :-) positive thinking Barbara x

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 7 Jan 2020 23:47

Happy Birthday Sylvia. Life is better than I thought it would be :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Jan 2020 00:47

Happy Birthday Sylvia hope it's been a great day.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Jan 2020 01:35

Belated 80th Birthday Greetings, Sylvia, and many happy returns of the day!

Lizxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jan 2020 03:35

Thank you all.

I've had a fun day, although it was miserable outside ............. very wet and dreary!

David

David Report 8 Jan 2020 04:49

Good morning :-D <3

Many healthy happy returns Sylvia :-D <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jan 2020 07:24

Best wishes for your special birthday and for many more years of quiet contentment.

I don't drive, but manage to get out and about and still volunteer frequently in a local primary school. There have been a few health issues, but nothing which stops me enjoying being part of a community.
I don't think I thought about the 2000 s back in 1960s, but am mindful that I have lived longer than my father, brother and both grandmothers, so I'm grateful for that.
Age is just a number. The important thing is not to waste time worrying about the years, enjoy the days.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Jan 2020 07:48

Happy Birthday Old Bean! Thinking about it, I can remember when you were 70 - there is probably a thread on here somewhere :-D :-D

Congratulations on reaching such a momentous age Methuselah!! :-D <3 :-D <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 8 Jan 2020 11:46

Happy birthday Sylvia and many more :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Jan 2020 11:48

just seen this!
I hope you had a wonderful day despite the weather Sylvia

Congratulations on being 80

Florence in the hebrides
:-D <3

Fly

Fly Report 8 Jan 2020 11:52

Happy Birthday Sylvia <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jan 2020 12:28

Bit belated but Happy Birthday.

You are at an age now where what hasn't dried up leaks eh?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2020 12:29

Hope you had a great day Sylvia. I will catch you up in August :-D No I never imagined myself reaching such a great age, however my Mum lived to 85 and Dad to 93 and neither of them seemed to be 80 year olds when they were. Although we do get aroud much more than they did and we do keep up with technology, both have computers, Ipads, smart phones etc and although I read a lot of books and read newspapers, I also read new on line and OH always reads news on line and I have an e reader which I read, my Mum had trouble with the video recorder setting it etc

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jan 2020 15:27

Belated Happy Birthday Sylvia :-D

I was a little too young in the 60s to be thinking about the 2000s ;-) But I like the same things that I did then, music, reading, the garden, wildlife :-) Probabably the only technology that has been added to that is the computer.

In life generally though I am not in the place I thought I would be when I was young.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 8 Jan 2020 15:33

Happy birthday Sylvia.
I still feel young inside my head, it is only when I look in the mirror that I get a shock.
When I think back to you grandparents generation, to me they were ancient at a much younger age, so we aren’t doing badly in comparison

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jan 2020 15:38

Belated birthday wishes Sylvia

We do wonder where the time has gone . I couldn’t imagine joining the octogenarian club but I did !

Remember in my twenties thinking OMG in 2000 I will be 63 and couldn’t ever imagine being 63

Would like to be back there now. Lol

I had a family dinner for my 80th and stayed over with my daughter.Was nice having the grandchildren and grt grandkids giving me me lots of love and kisses .but I did miss ,as we all did , my hubby being with us .

Your 80th sounds a really nice celebration too of a special birthday
<3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jan 2020 18:08

Thank you all.

It was a sudden remembrance of being 20, at university, and seeing all those wild suggestions by scientists, sociologists, etc as to what life would be like by 2000 or 2020, almost none of which have come to realisation ............. except perhaps Face Time talking with friends and relations! Who could have imagined being able to do that????

Cyn ............... thank you, I think!! :-P

Ann ................ you were lucky with your parents and grandparents.

Mine all died at fairly young ages ................ my mother's father lived to 78 but all the others seem to have died before the age of 70. My Mum was only 58 when she died.