General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

And then There Was One

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jan 2020 09:57

We have (had) two budgies.

This morning, as we had a very nice start to the day, OH placed the budgies' cage outside so that they could enjoy the day and get some fresh air.

An hour or so later I could hear the wind get up, and saw the cage rocking on its stand. I dashed outside but was about two seconds too late; the cage blew off its stand, crashed to the floor and came apart.

One of the budgies flew off into the wild blue yonder, whilst the second one was trapped inside :-(

Needless to say there has been no sign of the escapee :-(

The gust of wind, which I would compare to a willy-willy, lasted less than a minute :-|

Island

Island Report 10 Jan 2020 10:17

willy-willy? :-S

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jan 2020 10:22

A very mini cyclone, usually seen in desert areas, sometimes referred to as a dust devil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_devil#Names

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jan 2020 10:23

We had them all the time in the Goldfields. If you drove through one the car would be blown all over the road.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Jan 2020 12:18

Long time since I heard 'willy-willy' Allan. :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 10 Jan 2020 18:20

Sorry to hear about your budgie Allan :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Jan 2020 18:50

Aw Allan , so sorry for you. Poor wee thing.I wonder how long it can survive on its own
Maybe it just might find its way back, you never know...

Florence in the hebrides

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jan 2020 20:53

Hopefully he will have flown into a neighbouring property and will be well looked after.

My daughter did put something on FB about it on the local community page, and we have left another (separate) cage outside, just in case, but I've never heard of homing budgies before :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jan 2020 21:48

Well, when he/she's got over the shock, they may come home to their buddy.

Barbra

Barbra Report 10 Jan 2020 22:29

Might just be in the neighbourhood hope so :-)

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jan 2020 22:33

We'll see. I have put the other budgie in the laundry (don't ask) as 'bait' but we are having strong winds this morning caused by the cyclone breaking down :-0

Barbra

Barbra Report 10 Jan 2020 22:38

Giving a quick wash & blow ;-) no really good luck it will be found x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jan 2020 23:37

But budgies are native to Australia, are they not, Allan?

So s/he should be able to survive??

Allan

Allan Report 11 Jan 2020 00:35

They are, Sylvia, but in Outback areas. This particular one as with the vast majority of budgie pets has never seen any such area nor have they been 'trained' to survive by their parents, themselves domesticated birds.

The domesticated bird is almost totally different to the wild ones.

Plus there are many predators around, cats, hawks etc.. Speaking of cats, the budgie has been brought up with our old cat so doesn't realise the danger they pose :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jan 2020 03:19

I gave my parents a budgie (and cage) for their 25th wedding anniversary back in 1953 because Mumw as always talking about that she or they had many years earlier.

She used to feed it little tastes of sherry on the end of a wooden matchstick (the non-lighting end) or toothpick.

Allan

Allan Report 11 Jan 2020 06:16

I remember once fixing a budgie's broken leg with a matchstick once. Unfortunately the 'live' end was towards the ground. :-(

I'd also forgotten about the sandpaper on the bottom of the cage

The budgie was cooked to perfection and made a nice hors d'oeuvre :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Jan 2020 09:01

Allan, I'd be surprised if no one had mentioned this before but have you thought the budgie was smuggled. ;-) :-D

On a serious note, it has not been long so perhaps your bird will return yet. How is the other one doing without a mate?

Allan

Allan Report 11 Jan 2020 09:49

Not smuggled, JoyLouise, my daughter and her partner bred them. Perhaps they should have bred children instead :-D :-D

The other (female) is fine as from hatching she has been used to being handled. However, if my wife or myself fall off the perch that could be a different matter ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Jan 2020 10:03

I don't believe it Allan - no budgie smugglers around you anywhere? ;-) :-D

Allan

Allan Report 11 Jan 2020 10:50

Not in this house anyway :-(

My physical appearance is guaranteed to deter any illicit activity, my belly being somewhat larger than my boobs.

I could always smuggle things in the creases of my corpulent corpse ;-)