General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clerical Celibacy.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Jan 2020 15:13

Some infighting going on in Rome between the current & retired Popes concerning this extremely old & tiresome topic.

Hatred of celibacy has a distinguished pedigree in the Anglosphere.

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Jan 2020 15:22

Does it? :-S

Kense

Kense Report 14 Jan 2020 16:08

No, it's just some phrase Dermot picked up from the Catholic Herald. It has little to do with the squabble between the pope and ex-pope.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jan 2020 17:07

What do they do with married Anglican clergymen with families who have turned to the RC Church?

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jan 2020 17:19

I know at lest one person on here has read the Malleus.

There are parts of that that indicate it was almost certainly written by men who don't know their way around a woman and look what joy that book brought.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2020 17:31

:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2020 18:11

Dermot, didn't you watch 'Exposed: The Church's Darkest Secret' on BBC2 at 9pm, yesterday?

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jan 2020 18:36

I watched it and was not very surprised.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jan 2020 18:53

That's t'other side, Maggie. Dermot may not be bothered. :-D

I've taped it so I can see whether he was anything like his twin. I suspect not.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2020 19:38

Well, it's non-celibate perversion, isn't it?

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jan 2020 21:16

I thought that when Pope Benedict resigned he said that he wouldn't be interfering with the work of his successor, Pope Francis.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jan 2020 21:36

Just watched the first part.

Certainly non-celibate, Maggie, and certainly perversion.

Talk about a cover-up. Methinks that some 'Christians' expecting access to heaven eventually just ain't gonna get past the pearly gates!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2020 21:51

Well, JoyLouise, the accused did say his behaviour was to bring the boys closer to God, and he did have the 'Establishment' on his side.

......so maybe that's alright then!

It appears to be the excuse of every pervert in every religion.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jan 2020 22:23

What a terrible time the victims have had. I have not seen the second part yet but I realise that one committed suicide so his family have had an extra burden to bear. So sad for them all.

It seems that the shocking behaviour of a few always seem to bring the establishment into disrepute to the detriment of the many who would never behave like that. And I mean the ones who covered up as well as the perpetrators.

Such a shame for the majority of the clergy who go about their duties thoughtfully and honestly to the best of their ability.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2020 22:43

I agree. One of the victims wanted to be a vicar - but Ball made sure he couldn't.
The poor bloke had to go (I think) to Wales, before he was allowed.

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Jan 2020 19:16

The Catholic Church teaches that a celibate priest is able to surrender his life to the service of God in a way a married person cannot, and that therefore the two vocations are incompatible. (From this week's Tablet magazine.)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Jan 2020 06:56

Doesn't the RC Church employ married converts as priests, Dermot?

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Jan 2020 07:01

JoyLouise - you are correct. Our local PP is one such. His wife & children attend church too.

But I'm not sure if 'employ' is the correct term.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Jan 2020 07:07

Well, if they only work Sundays ;-) ;-) ;-)

(Joking of course. :-D)

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Jan 2020 15:59

Some young Royals retire early from tiresome labour while more senior Royals battle on to the end.