General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Supermarkets .Shops.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 18 Mar 2020 17:40

I myself think Supermarkets could open just 8am / 8pm then people wouldn't be about in stores & allow staff to top up shelves and clean thoroughly .& deliveries could be sorted fairly .we don't need 24/ 7 shops open Barbara

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Mar 2020 18:58

Many of them are doing just that now.

Barbra

Barbra Report 18 Mar 2020 19:12

Wonderful see if it helps

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Mar 2020 19:17

I think the supermarkets are to blame, if they controlled
how much to allow people to buy, they wouldn't have a problem :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Mar 2020 20:48

The city I live in has just enacted its own State of Emergency, which it has the right to do under its Municipal Charter.

One of the things it will allow ........... controlling the number of items that people buy AND punishing them if they ignore.

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2020 20:53

Supermarkets here have tried everything; reduced hours, special shopping times for the elderly and vulnerable, restricting items. Nothing has worked and the shelves are still empty.

The situation has become so bad with all the brawls and arguments that the police are now patrolling inside the stores :-0

I hate saying it, but maybe Government rationing could soon be needed.

Barbra

Barbra Report 18 Mar 2020 21:05

This is going to be a part of our lives for months to come .reminds me of January sales were people fight over clothes & other goods I feel sick to see & read about it all.keep your head as everyone around you loose theirs .only going local post office pet shop having home deliveries .every two weeks so not stocking up just ordering essentials. Isnt life wonderful :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Mar 2020 07:38

At least one store - Sainsburys - opening 8 to 9 am for over-70s, anyone shopping for them and anyone incapacitated. Another store setting aside the first half-hour of the day.

Also early delivery slots set aside for same groups.

Shop 'til you drop while you can, folks!

Not sure whether I should give my dtr my bus pass so she can shop early for me as OH and I (both the wrong side of 75) are already self-isolating because of OH's health problems.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 19 Mar 2020 08:34

Joy, it’s a bit misleading to say Sainsbury’s are opening 8-9 am for the elderly. They were reserving the first hour of opening today for the elderly. In our local branch this meant 7-8 am. We went to see if I could get some fresh veg. We got there just before 7 and got on the end of a very long queue. I think every elderly person in town was there and it was manic. The shelves were half empty to start with but there was a fair amount of veg and fruit and I got a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk. There was only one thing on my list I couldn’t get and that was Steradent or similar. What was noticeable was how good natured everyone was. I suppose we had all been through rationing in the 40s and 50s and other times of austerity and come out the other end.

Btw, Tesco are introducing a similar slot for the elderly and vulnerable from 9-10 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Happy shopping folks :-D

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 10:51

How does a younger person shopping for 70+ prove they are genuine?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Mar 2020 11:33

I wondered that Island.

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Mar 2020 11:48

A neighbour 79 was at Sainsbury's this morning 8am There was queue when they got in they were emptying shelves & grabing stuff of the assistants she was really upset I have told her I will order on line share my shopping .the world has mad Barbara .

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Mar 2020 12:00

A friend went to the 8-9 session this morning and he said it was as manic as if he'd gone at 11 am.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Mar 2020 12:13

Apparently there was a queue at Sainsbury's Ashford Kent before 6 a m this morning.

At a smaller Sainsbury's locally, they had an early allotted time for elderly, but there was very little to be bought as deliveries had not yet come through for restocking.
Such a shame for those people who had struggled to get there early.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Mar 2020 12:44

Just been to C....‘S to buy something we’ve been promising ourselves and in conversation with a staff member whilst waiting for the warehouse to bring our order, we learnt that they had sold out of freezers and fridge freezers.

So that is where all the food has gone :-P

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Mar 2020 14:51

We are all worrying unnecessarily about food and toiletries.

My granddaughter tells me that when she and her partner went to shop where they live there was no beer left!!! (She could hardly believe it.)

So, the lesson to be learned from this is - everyone who likes a beer, stock up while you can cos you may face a dire few months. ;-) :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Mar 2020 20:02

OH went out this morning to try to get new batteries for, of all things, a digital thermometer.

We've always had at least 1 thermometer in the house, but I realised we hadn't used one for at least a year. So I went to get it plus the extra .............. both digital.

Neither working ............... but one has instructions on how to replace the battery. The other doesn't, I guess it's "disposable"

However, trying to buy the battery has been frustrating to say the least, and of course no thermometers to be found.

Today he decided to try a huge big box electronics store where we buy his computer things.

Door guarded, yellow boxes marked on the sidewalk to indicate where to stand. Staff member asked what he was there to buy, then told him where to wait.

They were allowing no more than 2 customers in at a time.

When it was his turn he was directed to "Batteries", found 2, was told "sorry but we can't insert them for you"(!), and then had to pay ................ no cash allowed, so had to use the credit card for a very small amount

Now we (he) have to find out how to get the battery cover off the thermometer.

He also managed to find a bag of potatoes while he was out!

Island

Island Report 19 Mar 2020 20:31

I can't get my head round why (some) people are putting themselves and others at risk in crowded supermarkets and the queues outside - are they stupid enough to think this virus is only going to set off at the weekend?

I despair of the human race :-(

Allan

Allan Report 19 Mar 2020 20:54

OH went out yesterday afternoon about 2.00pm to have some jewellery cleaned. She popped into the supermarket whilst she was out, all the usual paper item aisles were bare, but she did buy some milk, a 2 litre bottle, which is all we need. and managed to buy a packet of oats which she had been after for a while.

Very little meat and frozen foods left, but at least the store wasn't crowded :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Mar 2020 20:55

Island ......

sometimes it's impossible to get to a store when it isn't packed out, even at normal time, unless you go at 1 am!

Our stores are also beginning to be open for shorter hours