General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prince Charles....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Island

Island Report 30 Mar 2020 14:34

….. is out of isolation

only seven days? :-0

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Mar 2020 14:44

It IS only 7 days isolation once you have been tested and diagnosed with the virus if you isolate on your own. but if you are with the rest of the family you have to stay isolated for 14 days to see if they develop it.

Apparently Charles and Camilla isolated separately.

Kath. x

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Mar 2020 15:20

Wow seems a bit short still though...shouldn't you be a bit cautious just in case..

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Mar 2020 15:27

I'm sure he will be following medical advice.

Kath. x

Island

Island Report 30 Mar 2020 15:33

Considering so little is known about this virus I think 7 days IS too short.

Wouldn't do for me I'm afraid.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Mar 2020 15:34

I have seen that with other reports.

Dermot

Dermot Report 30 Mar 2020 16:23

I am confident that Prince Charles worries about us lot just as much as we do of him.

Good news is hard to come by. So let us enjoy this positive interlude.

Island

Island Report 30 Mar 2020 16:58

I'll pass on that thanks Dermot. Got my own family to worry about.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Mar 2020 18:19

I think they took themselves up there out of the way,,,,, ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2020 20:52

It's 14 days minimum here .......

........ our PM will have been in isolation for almost 5 weeks before he is given permission to resume normal life (or as normal as it can be these days).

That's because he has to isolate for 14 days AFTER his wife was declared recovered ..... she's been allowed to take their children to the PM's weekend retreat, away from Ottawa.

Kay??

do you blame them??? I've read that lots of people in the UK who happen to have second houses have been moving from more crowded places to their smaller "second residences" ............. which are not as isolated from the local population as where Charles and Camilla are, nor the Queen and Prince William

Who is causing more harm??.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 30 Mar 2020 21:12

People here have been strongly advised NOT to go to second homes, so as not to put strain on NHS facilities in those areas.

Allan

Allan Report 30 Mar 2020 21:40

14 days here also, Sylvia, but mixed messages given by politicians not following the guidelines that mere mortals have to follow :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2020 01:19

Interesting Allan ........

our politicians do seem to be following the guidelines, no matter whether federal or provincial.

Trudeau is always alone at the microphone, the press are either on a phone or about 10-12' in front of him (under a tent).

If Federal Ministers are giving a press conference and there is more than one person there, they do seem to be trying to keep to the distance.

Our Provincial Health Officer and Provincial Minister of Health usually are both present at a news conference ........... one is always at least 6' away from the speaker. When they change over, the speaker goes to the side away from the one taking over. The Deaf Interpreter stands at least 6' away from them watching the interpreter standing in front of the stage directly in front of the speaker.

Did you know there are now 2 types of signers interpreting????

The interpreter we always used to see only interprets from spoken language into ASL, BUT that is not into the DEAF language, which involves facial and body language. Just as spoken language involves facial and body language.

A Deaf interpreter is fantastic to watch ............ they are totally involved, facial expressions, body movements, even hands moving in a slightly different way.

And they are developing new signs to fit the current situation.

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Mar 2020 01:26

Also along the same lines; not sure what's happening in the UK and elsewhere; all our TV shows and news reports have most of the reporters/presenters working from home...which makes it interesting when they're own little kids join in :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2020 03:53

You noticed the little kids, Caroline!

Our local Global TV has the two anchors well separated at the desk, more than 6' apart. One of the weather forecasters reporting from home ............... one kiddie joined her this evening. The sports reporter in another part of the studio.

It's interesting!!

CBC radio is the same, with some of their commentators and reporters coming online from home.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Mar 2020 07:17

Interesting about sign language.

Often, during my working life I met a very nice Welsh professor (sadly now dead) who was trying to promote International Sign Language in the UK above British Sign Language. Neither he nor I could understand why our government would constrict the world of those with hearing problems by not enabling them to learn ISL which would enable them to travel further and be understood better around the globe.

We also spoke about Makaton, the sign language used by Justin on one of the children's daytime shows that my younger grandson used to watch before he was of school age. It seemed to appeal to the younger children because he and a couple of his play-group friends watched the show and learned to sign some things. The prof and I thought that Makaton also was a better language to have if one wanted to enjoy overseas travel.

He thought it unfair that anyone with a hearing problem should be 'behind the eight ball' when it came to international travel by not learning ISL. I agreed with him entirely.

Thinking more about it now that I have seen this thread, by using ISL instead of BSL when overseas, deaf people could converse and be better understood than many hearing folk who never learned a language other than English.

That would be what I call 'a result'.

Edit: Justin Fletcher (Mr Tumble) is the guy I wrote about.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 31 Mar 2020 11:38

People were asked not to come to Scotland
at this time.
Rules for some but not for all apparently.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2020 17:38

Emma ................

to me there is a bit of a difference between the heir to the throne coming to live on an estate as large as that one, with his own people. No contact with the locals. Not much chance of passing on the infection even when he got it.

Others might well be coming to live in their cottage, B&B, hotel or whatever in the middle of a small village. Full contact with locals. Every chance of passing on ANY infection.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 31 Mar 2020 18:37

But did he need to Sylvia, he has a choice of places to stay
down south.
Did hear he arrived on private jet not domestic.

Edit... plus we are asked to stay at home.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2020 19:51

Rulers have always been taken care of, throughout history.

Do you really resent that the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William have been able to leave London and go to safety during this crisis when you know as well as I know how badly many people in the UK are behaving?

If they stayed in London, their staff would be the ones who would go out and about and might well bring the infection back to them .......... after all, at least one member of staff at Buckingham Palace has developed symptoms

It is interesting to me to note that each of those 3 has elected to go to what is sadi to be their favourite place, and that they are well separated from each other.

The Queen is at Windsor Castle, Charles in Scotland, and William at Anmer Hall near Sandringham.

Maybe that was intentional?????