General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leftovers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Apr 2020 10:45

I always love it when tv chefs tell us how to use our leftovers. Who cooks too many sausages?
Now the Coop food magazine is suggesting that we use our left over crisps :-S and dip them in melted left over eadte egg chocolate.

Firstly that sounds disgusting and surely any left ovefcrips :-S would have softened.
When we have crisps in our house they get eaten Obviosly the same for chocolate :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Apr 2020 11:21

Same in our house and we don’t waste food anyway or cook to much, teaching grandmother to suck eggs spring to mind. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Apr 2020 11:37

Crisps dipped in chocolate ? That sounds horrible.

We do have surplus unopened crisps in the house here though. They've been discovered during the 'sorting' in recent times. They have been bought for Christmas or whenever and then not used. My daughter never eats them and I do so only once in a while, so I was thinking of crushing some down for a topping on some sort of savoury 'in - the - oven' recipe.

The only sort of leftovers here are things like sage and onion stuffing, which I admit comes from a packet mix. We make up the whole packet, even for 2 of us, but daughter will soon use up any left, the next day......

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Apr 2020 11:39

Those programmes are not aimed at us.They are aimed at all the d*ckheads who have never thought about it before.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 Apr 2020 11:53

Or who don't know how to cook from scratch.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 3 Apr 2020 11:57

Must admit I do cook more than enough potatoes and veg when we have a roast, so we can have bubble and squeak later. Add a stuffing ball too. Lovely. :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Apr 2020 12:07

The only time I have leftovers is when I have visitors and I'm not sure how much they eat.

But they rarely get wasted.

As for TV chefs - I'm sure they mean well, but they assume we have all the modern gadgets and a store cupboard with lots of weird things in it.

I have several cookery books dating from before we all had access to lots of foreign food; one that I particularly like is "Cooking without a Kitchen" which is aimed at folk in bedsitters, with only a couple of gas rings and perhaps a grill.

Island

Island Report 3 Apr 2020 12:15

I wish somebody would take the edge of a ruler to Jamie Olivers left hand. Serving spoon in his right hand and prodding the food with his pudgy left hand fingers. Disgusting git.
Don't get me started on mixing ingredients on the work top. :-| :-|
I don't watch cookery programmes but these filthy habits somehow creep under the radar.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Apr 2020 13:03

Yep, some of our tv chefs need a good telling-off.

Those with rings and nail polish on while cooking would have my old teacher sending them out. Lord knows what she'd do with the prodders, pokers and those who put a licked spoon back into the cooking pot. :-0

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Apr 2020 18:50

It used to annoy me when they would make something in a pot and merely put a spoonful on a plate, and then appear to discard the rest of the pot contents......

Me... I'd serve it all up.....

but that's not "presentation" is it...

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Apr 2020 18:53

Joylouise

My old cookery teacher grabbed me and used my hair to show how to tie it back.

For days afterwards the world seemed very odd - she had dislodged one of the lenses in my specs :-P

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Apr 2020 21:04

We almost always make too much as there are only 2 of us, but we do it deliberately. .........

if we have a roast on Sunday, we want it to do at least one more meal, if not 2. I've also found that you can slice roast meat and freeze for future use, or chop in lumps then freeze for use in a lamb curry that uses cooked lamb.

If I make stir fry, I want one extra meal for my lunch the next day

If we make a casserole, stew and fish or shepherd's pies, we want at least 4 extra servings to freeze in single portions.

About the only thing we don't make in larger than one meal is scrambled eggs or an omelette!

I often order a meal from the local Japanese restaurant (take-out only now) such as a hot dish like Chicken or Beef Teriyaki Don that will give me lunch next day. Sushi doesn't keep too well ;-)

Not much gets wasted! :-D

Island

Island Report 3 Apr 2020 22:26

I can't be having with the serving style where the meal components look like they're social distancing. :-0

Allan

Allan Report 3 Apr 2020 22:35

The less components, the more expensive the dish.

Scientifically, the price of something on a menu is in inverse proportion to the size of the meal

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Apr 2020 10:28

Planned leftovers are different.

It is the suggestion that we have cooked too many things like sausages or have mounds of uneaten mashed potatoes which I find annoying. Why would you cook to much without forethought?

Mind you, all those people who panic bought and then dumped perfectly usable fresh food need some sort of help.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Apr 2020 12:19

Have you tried making Spanish omelettes.

You can throw anything in them..
Which I do.

Allan

Allan Report 4 Apr 2020 12:20

They sure do...the toe of a steel capped boot applied to any soft and vulnerable part of their body.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 4 Apr 2020 12:34

Why do chefs always put SPICES in their meals? Is it to cover the taste ? If i'am having beef or what ever that's what I want to taste not curry or garlic etc. And when they cook rice as a veggie NO NO NO. i'm english rice is a pudding

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Apr 2020 12:40

Rice pudding is in the same category as peanut butter - yuk.

Don’t get me started on tapioca - food of nightmares.

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 13:38

Whoa! :-0 :-0