General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Drummed out of FB group.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 May 2020 16:33

Oh dear, I have offended and been asked to leave a FB group.

As, I am sure you are aware, I have been a vegetarian for not far off half a century. Probably, I would have become vegan at the time but it was a very different world and becoming a vegetarian was difficult enough.
Over the years I have just been one although I was young and a bit strident in the early days.My philosophy is that I do what I can but I can't change the world single-handed and I am not perfect.

I found the group which said it was plant-based very forgiving of imperfections and shortcomings. Not mine it bloody wasn't! Because I don't eat meat I consider my diet to be plant-based, as they professed to be. Because I have been on the same plant-based diet for such a very long time,I am just not strong or driven enough anymore to give up eggs and dairy.

Now, I would think that my very long, quiet advocacy of vegetarianism might have done some good and, perhaps influenced a few who are now going to be annoyed by the intense tub thumping of those whose strength of feeling I once had when the way was not made as easy as it is now.

So, for many years, I was made to feel like some sort of weirdo for what I didn't eat and now I am some sort of savage for what I do.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 May 2020 16:44

Some people just can't be pleased, Sharron :-(

To my mind (as an omnivore), milking cows and removing eggs, isn't doing cows or domesticated birds any harm.
Likewise shearing sheep - or do these people refuse to wear wool?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 16:54

Maggie, they do and won't use any animal products at all . My daughter was vegan many years ago but not now.

Maddie

Maddie Report 11 May 2020 16:59

i like my meat too much to be either but it is no one elses business what sort of diet you or i choose to follow.
You are no savage and neither am i
our tastes just differ

I tried vegetarian food back when it started to become trendy, bird seed not for me,but i know it is vastly different now.

Maggie, where can you get affordable woolen jumpers, i want some and i want to sustain the farmers

each to their own but to the bible thumpers i say leave me alone

:-) :-) :-) :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 May 2020 17:00

If they don't wear wool, do they wear fleeces?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 17:01

Fleeces are made from recycled plastic bottles so yes they do. :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 May 2020 17:12

There is great cruelty involved in the dairy and egg producing industries.

I know this and I hate that it is so but I can't mend all ills so I do what I can. After such a long time, I don't have much more to give.

I doubt you would know you were eating vegetarian with me, they put it away at the village lunch, certainly no birdseed. Fred ate it and he wouldn't countenance any 'foreign muck'!

My own vegetarianism came about after a lot of thought and there was no carefully constructed market to entice me into spending money as I fear there is for many of these young vegans and I wonder if they will give up after they burn out as happens so often.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 May 2020 17:39

Ah - but fleeces leave plastic residue in water.
So not so environmentally friendly as they claim, are they!!!!
All those animals they're poisoning with their plastic residue.

My youngest, whilst at Uni, became vegetarian.
She moved in with her vegan boyfriend.
I gave them their own saucepans, crockery and cutlery (so they weren't polluted with my meat) and even a cupboard, and suggested they bought and cooked their own food! :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 17:48

And vegetables are living things too. I told my daughter that and she wasn't impressed. Thank goodness she gave it up when she became really ill from not eating properly.
I like meat and veg but as I say to each their own and you must do what you feel is right but just don't preach on about it to me ;-) .
Not referring to you in any way Sharron as I know you don't do that :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 May 2020 18:00

Sharron - there doesn't have to be cruelty in any animal production, and it's not as productive in many cases.
I kept ducks for eggs, but Peggy kept hiding her eggs (they were free range during the day), hiding herself, and reappearing later with up to 14 ducklings in tow!
In the end, we had so many, we had to eat the ducklings, but waited until they'd grown their 'proper' feathers.
We asked a 'local' how to kill them humanely, then we'd take them a long way from the others, and dispatch them quickly.

Lagooner, my daughter gave it up when she was pregnant, but my other daughter has an 11 year old son who has been a vegetarian since he was 8.
I cook for him when he comes around :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 18:15

I will cook for visiting vegetarians too Maggie as I like vegetarian meals for a change too.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 May 2020 18:19

I know there doesn't have to be cruelty in egg and dairy production but I know there is and I wish I could stop it but i am doing my best and have been for a very long time.

Will those vehement vegans still be so in forty-five years time?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 18:37

Having son who is a master butcher I can't resist the fine fare he brings me :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 May 2020 18:49

*&%$£ See that, LaGooner?
That's envy!
I bet you can get your hands on lots of offal :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 18:53

I can indeed Maggie and any cut of meat all butchered by his own fair hand and fresh as can be. No plastic waste either :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 11 May 2020 18:59

Been there for years, never dictated to anyone about their choice of diet but oh my, the hypocrisy of militant 'born again' vegetarians!

Have to say though, as an (almost) lifelong veggie, I've never eaten bird seed :-S :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 19:00

If you did Island you would have to send a tweet ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 May 2020 19:04

She would be hopping mad!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 May 2020 19:07

:-D :-D :-D put her up in front of the beak and she would sing like a canary

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 May 2020 19:12

and spitting feathers,,,,