General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone self isolated too much

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 May 2020 20:53

Just asking cos I haven’t been out since lockdown

Now feel a sense of panic to venture a few yards from the front door

I can’t do a walkabout around the block as have mobility problems so have just stay put

But tooo much sitting in the recliner hasn’t done my fitness level any favours .

I potter around doing the minimum cos have lost motivation

I need to jet wash the patio and it’s yes will do but it’s not done yet

Then realised I really should get the car out and give it a blow cos it’s been sitting in the garage sitting lockdown

So it’s getting arse in gear I think and get out an do it

Why though do I feel very unsure about leaving my home cocoon

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 May 2020 21:08

I think we are all the same Shirley. We did make the effort and went to the local garden centre on Monday we were nervous but once there it was ok. Can you just drive your car round a circular route, just a short one to stop the brakes seizing up and to charge the battery. That might make you feel better.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 May 2020 21:27

Thanks Anne

Yes I was talking to my daughter tonight,she is working from home and her hubby is working is a lorry driver and doing the weekly shop on his way home on a Friday

She said she is panicked about going out as a cancer survivor but her hubby did insist she meet him at the local Asda when he was doing the shop
She didn’t get out of her car

Tonight she said mum get the car out and go for a drive,will do you and the car a good
thing

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 20 May 2020 21:29

I'm feeling exactly the same Shirley!

OH is on the Extremely Vulnerable Shield list, and as it would be impossible to socially distance in this house, I've not been out either. This is our 10th/11th week, as I think we started earlier than the official time.

Totally lost motivation the same as you. Arthritis is bad from sitting down all the time.
Even if OH wasn't on the Shield, in Wales we cannot drive anywhere to exercise.

It's all beginning to feel normal now, albeit very depressing, and I wonder how I will feel when we are allowed out!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 May 2020 21:39

Jemima

Oh I know just how you feel

I wonder if it’s some sort of depression

I don’t want this to be the new norm

Island

Island Report 20 May 2020 22:02

You're not alone Shirley.
OH and I are both 12 weeks at home for health issues.
I thought Id cope ok having several hobbies plus garden - it was going to be a fun packed 12 weeks. Ha Ha!!!
We were shocked to find that motivation and energy evaporated very quickly. Most other people I know with the same restrictions are the same.
I worried about going out but a drive out and a little walk for the dog made me feel so much better - doggie loved being out and about too. I'm feeling more positive now.
Do try a drive out Shirley, you'll be fine and very pleased with yourself. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 May 2020 22:14

I think that even for those of us who have been able to go out, our levels of fitness are much depleted. I feel I've aged a lot in the weeks since we were told to stay home.
I don't drive and haven't been in a shop since 21st March, but I have sometimes gone on short local walks, alone.

Last week, my get up and go had gone completely. This week, I've set myself mini achievable tasks and I hope these small steps will gradually ease me back to a reasonable level of being my normal self.

May be a short drive in the car will help you both physically and mentally to start to 'pick up the pieces' and enjoy some of the things you knew before isolation.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 21 May 2020 07:38

I feel exactly the same, neither of us drive and I have mobility problems so have always relied on public transport. Now I feel very worried about using it in future. I'm not a traveller and only go local anyway . I have days when I think I'll be in for ever and others when I'm ok and look forward to returning to my little volunteering job. That's the thing I miss most the contact with my friends there. I felt useful and had a laugh with other volunteers and customers alike. Fortunately we have a garden and have been able to potter about in it due to the nice weather .
Things could be much worse for us I know but I do feel that a lot of people will be feeling down right now.

I don't think it helps when the 'experts' are telling us different things and the blame game has started now over who did what wrong.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 May 2020 09:56

I haven't left the house since two weeks before the lockdown (I received my 12 week letter early) apart from one trip for medical tests.

I'm trying to cope with the sudden loss of my husband 6 weeks ago and not being able to see friends is awful. For them too as they are desperate to see and comfort me.

I see my daughter and family once a week which is a boost.

I'm absolutely dreading the lifting of the lockdown because I will not be able to leave the house without help from someone with a car.

I know I'll be looking out of the window and remembering all the trips I made with hubby and they will not be possible again.

Although I am in the vulnerable group I really don't have a fear of leaving the house for medical reasons but I'm very aware that I will have lost confidence to go places without hubby.

Don't know if that makes sense.

Sue

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 May 2020 10:41

Sue that makes perfect sense. I don't think there could have been a worse time for you to lose your beloved husband, having been incapacitated for so long and relying on him as your carer, to lose him in this depressing lockdown time was a massive shock. I have no doubt that your inborn natural resilience (and sheer bloody mindedness) will eventually help you though. and hopefully, either you will find friends willing to help with transport so you can get out or maybe you can find an acceptable taxi firm for local journeys. You are so much in my thoughts and every day I am grateful to still have my OH with me because I see how awful this was for you.. <3 <3 <3

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 May 2020 10:43

,,,,,,,That is really the feeling of isolation and being alone as we both know at this horrible time..You will regain some outings from family when things improve although not in the same way but it will help be a comfort.

Sue, <3 .

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 May 2020 12:30

Living like a Hermit was never part of my 'calling'! :-P

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 May 2020 13:48

Thanks Ann and Kay x

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 21 May 2020 14:09

Same as Sue started two weeks before lockdown.

Sue I don’t have the stresses that you are trying to
come to terms with.

With the help of your daughter and friends I’m sure
given time you will find comfort and strength.

My heart felt sympathy to you on the loss of your husband.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 May 2020 15:33

Thanks Emma,

Being cooped up gives everyone too much time to think

x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 May 2020 16:01

Well I got a sudden feeling of determination this morning and thought I,m going to go out !

Soo a shower and dress and no fluffing around doing anything else I did it

Had a cheque since March that hadn’t been paid in and daughter said last evening why don’t you post it with a paying in slip
Duh never thought of that so it was that’s what I will do

Car was a honey .started straight away and I was out
Stopped to post the cheque then did a drive to Strood from Rainham Kent and back home
Suprised how many cars were out ,not very many pedestrians though

So now have just had a very late lunch and having a celebratory glass of rose

Am quite pleased with myself and it’s not as scary out there
Mind you I didn’t get out of the car till I was back in the garage

:-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 May 2020 16:08

Well done Shirley.

When this over I think there will be those that rush out and visit everywhere and everyone. Then there will be those who will think they survived without so don,t need whatever.

Then in the middle will be those tentatively putting their toes over the doorstep and then making a giant step forward.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 May 2020 18:47

Come the day, the world will be full of shaggy people rushing to the pub!

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 21 May 2020 19:35

I do feel for you Sue <3 <3 <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 21 May 2020 19:37

Well done Shirley :-)

I'm hoping our First Minister Mark Drakeford will loosen some of the rules soon. We are the only Home Nation still having to obey the original Stay At Home message.

I would love to be able to drive somewhere quiet for a walk