General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Today I have found

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 May 2020 19:59

The younger of my brother's baptismal certificate.
He was baptised in the Church of St Michael (now Il-Kappella tas-San Cir ) in Mqabba, Kalafrana, Malta.
It was a Catholic Church, and at the time, was in the Diocese of Gibraltar!
Strangely, if my mother admitted to any religion it was CofE, and dad was of no religion - but if he was on a boat, he was any religion the Captain wasn't - this ensured he had a lie-in on a Sunday!
Also weirdly, they had his birth date wrong - he was born on August 28th 1950.
I was born 6 years later, on the date they'd (wrongly) put as his date of birth! *spooky*

Another look at it - they had his baptismal date as December 31 1950, but the RN Chaplain has signed it, and put the date as January 1951! Too much wine?

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2020 20:44

Apparently I have three cousins in a jar in a hospital in Malta

My aunts husband was stationed there and she lost triplet boys which were preserved in formalin.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 May 2020 21:46

Ooh Sharron! That's so sad.

Both my brothers were born in Malta, in 1949 and 1950. They came back on the Empire Windrush early in 1951. I expect that was 'fun' for my mum - two children under 2 on a crowded boat.
I found their very impressive Maltese birth certificates amongst my gran's stuff a couple of years ago - but never noticed the small baptismal certificate.
My eldest brother's may be in a box too!

This box has photo's, and lots of gran's RAOB, women's institute and Labour Party stuff in it, along with an 'Empire Day 1916 certificate and a certificate given to everyone at the end of WWII, and loads of telegrams etc etc.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2020 21:56

How wonderful.

David

David Report 31 May 2020 18:38

I have my Baptism certificate. was baptised Christ Church, Shieldfield, Newcastle

1945, half a mile from the house I was born in 200 Portland Road. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 May 2020 19:06

Although my three siblings were Christened/Baptised, I wasn't!
Caused great fun when I went to Saudi, and had to prove I wasn't Jewish! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jun 2020 14:10

Today I have found my grans 'acceptance' into a Maternity Hospital for the birth of my uncle in 1940 - 8 years before the NHS was founded.

It reads:
Municipal and Child Welfare Centre
New Clinic
1, East Park Terrace
Southampton

Dear Mrs S*****
Your application to be admitted to the
Municipal Maternity Unit has been considered by the
Assessment Committee, and they have agreed that you
shall be admitted, and that the fee to be paid by you
will be £4/15-
I would remind you again that the sum of
£2/5/- must be paid prior to your admission
Yours faithfully

East Park Terrace is now Southampton University.

The average pay for a factory worker in 1940 was £248/5-6 - that's under £5 a week - £4/15- is almost a weeks wages.

My grandad was a dock worker - the wages were lower.
Sometimes he didn't work - dockies would turn up, and be 'chosen' to work for the day. Upset one of the foremen and you wouldn't work. Also, this was wartime - how much work did he get?

What happened if the Assessment Committee 'considered' woman should not be admitted? Where would she go?

So many questions - thank goodness for the NHS!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Jun 2020 15:27

Maggie,

Your family has kept some really interesting paperwork giving you an insight into how they lived their lives.That was a lot of money for a family to find.

We haven't got anything like your wonderful variety. I have got a card from the Eye and Ear Hospital, Portsmouth. Not sure if it was late 1940s or early 50s, but it says on it that it should always be kept.
So I did.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jun 2020 17:02

Gwyn - Granny was a hoarder! :-S :-S
My mum actually managed to lose 3 boxes of gran's stuff, before we'd even looked through them - goodness knows what was in them!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jun 2020 20:50

maggie ..............

my brother(1929) and I (1940) were both born at home, presumably with the aid of the local midwife.

OH's mother went into a very small nursing home to have him in 1938, in a small village just outside Chester. It was literally just over the border in Wales, so he can claim to have been born in Wales of a Welsh mother (father was a Yorkshireman). Three years later, the border between England and Wales was moved and the village became English. I don't know where she had his sister in 1946, have always assumed at home.

I remember reading one of James Herriot's books about life as a Yorkshire vet in which he wrote about the birth of his first child. His wife went to stay in a bedroom at the midwif'e's house to have the baby and stayed for a few days afterwards. The midwife's husband was quite used to that, as his wife tried to have every baby born in that room, their only spare bedroom! If I remember correctly, babys father was only allowed very brief visits with his wife and baby!

I think the most common place for babies to be born was at home, in the "marriage" bed, with a midwife and possibly a doctor if you could afford it, if not your mother, aunt, sister or the woman down the street who'd had 10 babies so knew what she was doing!

Of course the infirmary wing of the local Workhouse also provided a free place to have your baby born from the 19th century right up to the NHS being founded.

The standard in the 1950s when my brother's wife was having her children was to have the first child in hospital, then any more were born at home with a midwife in attendance unless there was a medical reason for a hospital to be used again. They were living with us when their first child was born, and I remember brother bringing his wife and baby daughter home after about 10 days in hospital, by bus because he had no car and couldn't afford a taxi.

I suspect that your gran was lucky to be able to go to hospital to have the baby, or maybe there was a need for that. The application to have the baby there presumably would have been requested by her doctor.

Your grandfather might well have been working almost full time, as ships were still bringing goods in or shipping out.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jun 2020 22:17

Sylvia
My great gran had all 10 of her babies n the Workhouse Hospital.
My great grandad had a good job - but the Workhouse meant a doctor was always available - and it was free! The address on the cert is 'The Municipal Incorporated Hospital'

I looked to see if Gran could have had my uncle in the Workhouse, but in 1939, it was turned into a food centre and a place for the homeless (and I presume bombed out) to stay. My mum was born in 1930 and her sister in 1926, I'm not sure where they were born. I don't have their certificates!

My mum had all her children (born 1949, 1950, 1952 and 1956) in hospital.
The first two at Mtarfa hospital, Malta, the third at Haslar hospital in Gosport, and the last (me) at Southlands Hospital, Shoreham near Worthing.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jun 2020 06:08

We lived up north, in Lancashire, maybe there was a difference?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 10:19

Could have been. Could have been family.
My great gran (Agnes) had no family close by.
She moved from Suffolk to Bournemouth, leaving her 'out of wedlock' child, (born in Grimsby) with her parents.
In Bournemouth, she met my g grandad (Arthur) - who had moved from London, leaving his wife behind, possibly in an asylum. (Gosh, this sounds bad! :-0)
They moved to Southampton, where she was known as Mrs P.
They eventually married secretly in 1921 when his first wife died - after 9 children.

Then, gran (G) didn't get on with her mum. Great gran didn't want gran to marry grandad, (C) as he was very recently widowed (this was 1924) - and I mean recently. According to letters between G and C, they were having 'X' (not sure whether that's a snog or something else) after 5 weeks, (and for 2 of those weeks, G was away in Suffolk) but one definitely closely followed the other. Gran thought she was pregnant at least twice during their courtship!
Great gran called him 'soiled goods'
Hypocrisy obviously wasn't a word in her vocabulary.
Great gran was also expecting another baby, and, apparently, as the eldest daughter, it was gran's 'duty' to help.

As Agnes wouldn't give her consent to G and C marrying (Arthur, it appears, had no say in the matter) G and C waited until G was 21, in 1925 before marrying.
Agnes wasn't invited to the wedding.
They eventually made up, but when Agnes died in 1947 , G found her marriage certificate, and was very angry.

It's very strange reading love letters between your grandparents :-S

Oh yes - and my mum didn't get on with my gran!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jun 2020 23:11

My grandmother was a very Victorian lady, born in 1884, strict as all get out.

When I eventually bought their marriage certificate about 15 years ago .............. she and grandfather had both lied about their age, she was 19 he was 17, but they added 1 year for her and 2 for him.

It took me another 7 or 8 years before I noticed the date of their marriage and remembered Mum's birthdate .............. yep, they'd anticipated by a couple of months!

I'm pretty sure Mum never knew the discrepancy, because their wedding anniversary was never celebrated, not even their 50th in 1952.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 23:46

So why were we brought up to believe the Victorians etc were so 'upright'?

David

David Report 6 Jun 2020 08:00

Following my Mother's I found in a small case under Father's bed my maternal GF's birth certificate, his wedding certificate to his second wife my GM Also GF's and my
Father's death certificates, and GF's pocket watch.

David

David Report 6 Jun 2020 08:12

Maggie, my paternal GF, Samuel Irvine was a docker in Belfast
He became unwell and consequently was selected for work less and less.
No earnings, no benefits. This while Belfast was being blitzed. He died in
Purdysburn Hospital Belfast March 1940.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jun 2020 12:08

David, I've found, amongst my granny's hoard, membership to the RAOB (both granny and grandad were members, and the Oddfellows.
Both these organisations were also insurance agencies - providing financial support in times of need.
I have a letter from the RAOB offering to pay for my grandad's stay in a 'Home of Recovery' in the 1950's when he had kidney failure.

I also have letters from grandad's best mate Stan, who was badly injured in an accident in the Docks in 1924.
The RAOB paid for him to stay in a 'Home of Recovery' after his operations - the Dock authorities did nothing to help him.

David

David Report 6 Jun 2020 17:32

It was the certificates kindled an interest in my family's genealogy.
From them I traced back to my GGGF and Mother on both sides of my family tree.
My paternal GF died in Purdeysburn Hospital following ill health. I believe without proof that he died of ECT. Letters to the Hospital will not confirm or deny it. His wife Sarah died a few months after him. They are in the same grave.GF's Father was Francis husband of Roseanna, and Francis was the son of another Francis. I have it detailed on Belfast Forum under the user name welder (my FIL's occupation) I also have a tidier version on Wikitree where I am Irvine-1058

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jun 2020 17:33

And if you had no insurance but needed a doctor, you could pay for it ......... over time if necessary.

My brother had some form of heart trouble when he was about 14. I can just remember him having to lie down all the time, either upstairs in bed or on the settee in the front room. That relegated me age ~4 to the horsehair sofa against the wall. I hated that sofa ........... horsehairs pricked the back of my legs in my short dresses. So I'm afraid I was a snotty nosed kid sister, and not too sympathetic to him.

I learned later that went on for about 6 months in 1944/45, and the doctor made regular house calls.

As a result, Mum and Dad were paying off the doctor's fees by a weekly payment to the Doctor's Man who would visit the house every week with his little black book, take the money and mark Dad as paid that week.

That went on until around 1953 or 54 at least. The doctor was well retired by then, and I have no idea whether the full bill was ever paid off in full or just let drop.

Dad was working in restricted employment at the time, but obviously no sort of insurance plan.