General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Government handouts

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jul 2020 11:29

The government is considering giving £500 to every adult and £250 to every child so they can spend it to help the economy.

So all those who have gone to work (at their proper workplace) all through the pandemic and have paid for all those others to spend time at the beach, parks etc and now the pub must now pay for those same people to go on a shopping spree. Doesn’t really seem fair.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2020 11:39

And, no doubt for those on Universal Credit, it will be taken away!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jul 2020 11:51

I’m sure they’ll find a way to ensure the most needy and most worthy won’t get it.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Jul 2020 14:02

My sister lives in the USA and everyone there got $1200 in March or April.

Kath. x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Jul 2020 15:30

Is every adult and child regardless of whether they work or on benefits receiving this?

So where is the money coming from to pay out this award? Just plain rediculous.

Seeing all those people sunbathing on the beaches really gets my goat.If they were healthy people, then with all their free time, they should have been made to do voluntary work as there was plenty need to help the most needy!

The most worthy should get a bonus for risking their lives to help others.

Florence in the hebrides

flappergirl

flappergirl Report 5 Jul 2020 15:40

I totally agree Florence! This sounds quite scatty and think what it'll cost!! I'll be surprised if it actually happens! :-S

Maddie

Maddie Report 5 Jul 2020 15:48

sorry folks no cash

. A universal ‘high street voucher’ scheme – worth £500 per adult and £250 per child – to be spent only in these sectors would kickstart demand in the right parts of our economy, boost living standards and deliver targeted support to the businesses that need help the most.

flappergirl

flappergirl Report 5 Jul 2020 15:53

Oh I see!! Drat! I knew there was a hidden hiccup! Can't see it being much use to us, but you never know! ;-)

Maddie

Maddie Report 5 Jul 2020 16:04

if you coud see my local high street you wouln't want to go there

flappergirl

flappergirl Report 5 Jul 2020 16:14

You'd feel the same where I am too! We have the addition of jolly holiday makers too!! 'Fun for all the family '!!! :-D

Hilary

Hilary Report 5 Jul 2020 16:14

Only people that deserve this is NHS & care home workers but don't suppose even that will happen. Would be happy if they announced that.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2020 16:20

It is necessary to kick start the economy, to get the cash flowing.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Jul 2020 16:24

Living where I do we don't have a High St..lol the only shop is M & Co and Superdrug and that's it!

Florence in the hebrides

Would it not be better then to give all businesses the money instead to help them in some way etc?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jul 2020 16:29

It isn’t about to happen yet. It is just an idea being thought about - probably along with half a million other ideas.

flappergirl

flappergirl Report 5 Jul 2020 17:08

Certainly sounds a better idea Florence, while there are lots of people who deserve this bonus, there are those who do not! so giving it to business directly would seem fairer and more democratic also save a lot of hassle and disgruntlement! - maybe!!! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2020 17:33

I think it should be specified - small businesses.
Google, Boots, Watestones, Starbucks, Amazon - to name a few, don't pay their full amount (if any) tax to this country - they should get nothing!

flappergirl

flappergirl Report 5 Jul 2020 17:37

That's a point, they don't, so they shouldn't, but it would cause a row! another one!!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Jul 2020 19:16

Yes Maggie, I agree with you.

Florence in the hebrides

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Jul 2020 21:53

The OAP's that have had to shield should get some of the money as well as Thanks.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jul 2020 22:01

I hope Rishi will find all these suggestions useful if he decides to go ahead with the idea.