General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It’s amazing isn’t it.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Sep 2020 11:33

That when someone goes on and on about a subject trying to impress those around them but really they no nothing only to find that one person does know a lot more than they do and they still don’t shut up.

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Sep 2020 11:46

We had to go to a course thing about food at the surgery. We were all gathered in the room and had to introduce ourselves etc and he introduced himself as the longstanding vegetarian and he was THE ONE with the knowledgeable look and everything because he had been a vegetarian for ten years.

Can't remember what I said but I bet it didn't impress anybody.

Anyway, we had been talking about meat substitutes in the meeting and, at the tea break, I mentioned to him that I had never really liked soya. He did the knowing and very experienced look and said with a kind of sigh, "You get used to it."

Twenty years before he did, I had become a vegetarian, long enough ago to not think to mention it and I had never yet got used to it. Another fifteen years on, i still don't like it.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Sep 2020 12:05

I hate that sort of person, know all knows nothing. I wouldn’t have been able to keep my mouth shut and would have shown him up for his lack of knowledge.

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Sep 2020 12:10

Yeh, but I am nasty. I would rather snigger at him behind his back.

As far as I am concerned, I know bugger all about anything. I am always grateful to learn anything because it means I know a little bit more of what everybody else has always known.

if you do find somebody who knows a lot about something you might be interested in, it a big bonus because you can pick up some more knowledge about it

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Sep 2020 12:30

It’s also amazing that people who know everything, have close family contacts who have full knowledge of everything else, don’t really have anything to say on really sensitive subjects.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Sep 2020 13:05

Strange how these people with 'expertise', are always negative!

If you don't do 'this' by next week, your PC will grow arms and strangle you - and why are you still using a PC, when we 'trendies' aren't?

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Sep 2020 14:30

Sorry.

I love a bit of combat but I think this might be ganging up.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Sep 2020 14:51

On who Sharron? :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Sep 2020 15:36

....shouldn't that be 'whom'? :-D :-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Sep 2020 15:46

No idea my English is not good but perhaps someone will put me straight :-D :-( :-D :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Sep 2020 15:53

Only joking! :-D :-D :-D

I had to look it up, and came across this useful thing:
"If you can replace the word with “he”' or “'she,” use who. If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom."

Apart from 'who' or 'whom', I always had problems with when to use 'I' or 'me' in a sentence like 'John and I/me went for a walk'
Then I found out, If you went for a walk without John, you'd say 'I went for a walk', so it's 'John and I went for a walk'.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Sep 2020 16:08

Interesting.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Sep 2020 16:20

Sharron, food! There's not much I wouldn't tackle. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Sep 2020 18:13

“If a man is born ignorant, to parents that are ignorant, in a society that is ignorant, lives a life of ignorance, and eventually dies in ignorance…..then, ignorance is the norm.

Thus, indoctrination can be called education, hypnotism can be called entertainment, criminals can be called leaders, and lies can be called truth, because his mind was never truly his own.”

anon

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Sep 2020 18:25

Lovely quote, Rollo. I don't know where it came from but I agree.

Too many camp followers around. :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Sep 2020 18:58

RTR or they can just shut up.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Sep 2020 19:01

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts. While the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

Charles Bukowski

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Sep 2020 19:19

As can everyone ZZzzz :-D

I had to look up Bukowski as I had never heard of him - and I can see why. But his opinion is as valid as everyone else's - something that a lot of people forget. :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 10 Sep 2020 03:23

Maggie, I always cringe when I see (for example) 'from my husband and I' which is obviously incorrect. You wouldn't say 'from I' but 'from me' so therefore it should be 'husband and me'. It's astonishing that so many people get it wrong!

Lizxx

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Sep 2020 06:57

Words are the dress of thoughts, which should no more be presented in rags, tatters, and dirt, than your person should. (Earl of Chesterfield).