General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tomatoes

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 11 Sep 2020 09:13

Back in the Spring someone posted on here that if you planted a slice of tomato it should grow. As I had no seeds I tried it and despite having very little compost or large pots I ended up with several plants now 2-3 ft tall. They flowered and I now have several marble sized green tomatoes!
Watering and feeding is a daily job as our porch is a real suntrap but I'm astonished at the result and hoping they'll become edible as my family thought I was mad!
So thanks for the tip whoever it was.

Island

Island Report 11 Sep 2020 10:52

Tomato seeds are pretty robust and survive our digestive systems and drains to flourish at sewage farms :-D
I've had 'wild' tomatoes come up which must have been overwintering in the compost bin - a fine crop too.
I germinated some fresh bell pepper seeds this year, got about a dozen plants but only one produced a pepper. Not bad considering I didn't sow the seeds until June. I'll try again next year but much earlier.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 11 Sep 2020 11:24

Yes we did the same this year and have had a small crop, would have been better if planted earlier but will do again next year. We also did cucumbers again from seed ( only 3 left over from a packet last year but have harvested about 14 lovely crispy cucumbers from just the 2 plants that grew. Grown in large pots outside in the garden so very pleased . Always worth trying these things I believe you can do the same with strawberries as with the tomatoes.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Sep 2020 12:52

Oooh - I must try the tomato thing! :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Sep 2020 13:18

I thought I’d made a mistake by drying seeds from a fresh tomato on kitchen paper.
Planted the bit of paper and now have some nice green tomatoes

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Sep 2020 15:56

Island i planted seeds from a green bell pepper 5 months ago.They produced some very lovely green plants which are about a foot tall. But still have not produced any peppers!! What did i do wrong?

They are still growing new shoots

Florence in the hebrides

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Sep 2020 16:05

I'm still experimenting with the idea of turning water into wine.

The opposite comes natural to many.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Sep 2020 16:05

Very informative.

OH and I are going to give it a go - tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and strawbs.

First, may I ask, Susie, what time of year is the best time to begin the process?

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 11 Sep 2020 18:27

My tomatoes are doing well in a plastic frame, and ridge cucumber outside. I am planning to buy a greenhouse very soon, and may buy an electric dryer next year to make my own sundried toms.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 12 Sep 2020 09:51

JoyLouise - I think I planted mine in April, but have no idea when you should actually plant them. I should add that down here in the far West of Cornwall it is much milder and I did put them in a very sunny porch so not sure if that made any difference.
The seeds I planted were very ordinary Tesco plum tomatoes so will be interested to see if that's what I get!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Sep 2020 11:02

Thank Susie.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 12 Sep 2020 12:06

JoyLouise- I started my toms off in early May I think, in a plastic greenhouse same time as the cucumbers. When the seedlings had grown to a strong plant we planted out into a container . We had a good start with some great weather and they were doing well but then the weather changed and it was colder than normal but they flowered well and when it warmed up again we suddenly had lots of tiny tomatoes and now they are going red so am hoping this warm week forecast will turn them all. Tomatoes do need feeding well . We live in the Midlands so not the coldest area .

CornishSue I used baby plum tomatoes from Asda .

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Sep 2020 12:50

Thanks Ginnie.

We live a bit further north so late May may be the right time for us. We now have a greenhouse too so OH and I are looking forward to seeing what comes up once we get going with the seeds.

Annx

Annx Report 12 Sep 2020 16:30

I had left my last year tomato pots with the soil in and had lots of seedlings this year, presumably from the odd tomato that fell into them last year. I left the compost and saved just 3 plants and we are still picking every day now. I've made some tomato sauce for pasta and frozen it as there were so many. I grew 3 mini cucumber plants and they have had plenty too, with enough to pickle, but the best has been 3 round courgette plants grown from seed planted outside on the side of a heap of waste soil after dismantling raised beds that we hadn't got round to clearing. They are still going strong and have produced faster than we can eat.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Sep 2020 00:14

I would've thought that it would be well known,

a fruit with seeds as it falls from the plant.....when the fruit rots....it forms the perfect nutrient for the seeds.....

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Sep 2020 09:05

Not among us novice gardeners, Bob.

I remember more than thirty years ago when our daughter (then a keen gardener, now too busy) tried to grow a pineapple plant after she read about it. Alas, it came to nought.

This year, however, she bought a mini greenhouse and Gndson 2 made a few perfectly jointed bedding boxes. Together they have grown a variety of plants. We still have a few of their cucumber, tomato and pepper plants in our greenhouse that are just about ready to pick.

She and one of my brothers are the keenest and better gardeners in our family. I am not - my part, until now, has been eating what is produced, which I do enthusiastically.

Island

Island Report 13 Sep 2020 11:01

Did you not do biology at school Joy? :-S
Not to worry. Some people think milk comes from bottles and wedding dresses just appear on hangers

Bob, you are correct and I am also puzzled by the 'surprise but I think growing tomatoes from a slice is a novelty at the moment because a) lockdown created a shortage of (expensive!) seeds and b) we were all discovering ne things to do while in isolation. I'd never grown bell peppers before so I sowed the seeds of a fresh one just as an interest. I have to say, we won't have a glut!
I've only bought runner bean seeds once as I save the seeds for next time - I think this is standard though? :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Sep 2020 11:38

We were given four runner bean plants and thought they had done fairly well, until yesterday when OH managed to get down there to look at thehe plants to see if he could pull them up (he is incapacitated at the moment with w very bad back). He noticed another runner and then another and because he was looking closely he ended up with a very large handful so these we will have tonight. We don't grow a lot of veg except tomatoes and cucumbers. tomatoes were planted in March in the greenhouse and we have been picking them since July and have had a real glut. I have a large collander in the kitchen full of them and still loads on the plants. I just have to summon up the energy to make some chutney now. We have actually never tried growing from sliced fruit though.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Sep 2020 11:45

Certainly did, Island - to GCE level (compulsory in the 50s) but other choices at A level.
[Edit: compulsory at my school. ]

It was never one of my favourite subjects, unlike my daughter and younger brother, both at A level and one far beyond. :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Sep 2020 11:53

Island..... ;-)