General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would you believe it?!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Sep 2020 20:43

We are going into renewed restrictions on meeting tomorrow it looks like we might have to shield again. It has been said that we are losing control of the virus.

So people flock to the beaches again!

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Sep 2020 22:04

Thing is though those that have to stay home often aren't the ones that have been breaking the rules all this time....force the rule-breakers to stay home then it'll be safe for the rest of you .

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Sep 2020 04:05

It's very worrying. I know several people who have been on holiday, both here and abroad, and/or have been out and about with others, and it concerns me that they are the ones spreading this virus.

Lizxx

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2020 11:31

What hope is there when Boris's Dad as well as his adviser interpret the rules to suit themselves?

Watching Stanley Johnson try to explain the reason for his trip to Greece when Greece had banned direct flights from the UK is hilarious. So much bulldust! I can see where Boris gets it from now.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2020 11:45

I would still rather have him dealing with it than Cameron.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2020 11:51

I think they both surround themselves with 'yes' men.

I am not, and never have been, keen on Nicola Sturgeon but as far as the covid crisis is concerned, I think she has handled it better than others.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2020 11:55

I am not saying he is who I would choose to deal with it.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2020 12:00

Trump, then, Sharron> ;-) :-(

The one I would have liked to hear more from was Van Tam. They got rid of him quick smart when he spoke his mind. Talk about haste ..... !

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2020 12:20

Now there's a thought!

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Sep 2020 14:34

What we need are better answers from our political leaders - not wishy-washy excuses. :-P

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2020 14:39

To be fair they were never expecting to be dealing with a pandemic and are probably not the ideal people to do so but this is how it has worked out for us all.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2020 16:26

Just heard that Grouse shooting is exempt from the 'group of no more than 6' law.

Honest!

I'm not joking!

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2020 16:33

Well.of course.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Sep 2020 16:35

Surely that can only go ahead if All the participants are organised - including the grouse. ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2020 17:28

Here's the article:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-rule-of-six-hunting-shooting-exemption_uk_5f5f4ad0c5b6b4850803110f

It's this bit that gets me:
"The Cabinet Office’s special Covid-19 Operations ministerial committee – chaired by Michael Gove – scheduled a meeting on Saturday, with one agenda item titled: “Exemption: hunting and shooting.”
The meeting was abruptly cancelled just hours beforehand, with cabinet ministers and officials told that this issue would be discussed later or via ministerial correspondence.
Instead, the “outdoor activity” wording was inserted into the regulations, opening the way for an exemption for so-called “country sports” such as grouse and pheasant shooting and hunting."

Nameslessone - :-D :-D :-D

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 14 Sep 2020 17:29

Yes as of tomorrow we can no longer let our D and Grandchildren come to see us not even in the garden . We are not shielding but are of an age . We can still go shopping and I can still volunteer at the charity shop but who knows for how long before they stop us doing that. Must admit that most people around us are behaving in a sensible way the buses are the problem here though as loads don't wear masks etc.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 15 Sep 2020 09:15

What i don't understand is how pubs can be open. There must be more than 6 people in them even if they are social distancing so are surely breaking the rules?

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Sep 2020 11:14

I just feel that this is probably the fist ever occasion in my life when I need to just do as I am told and not question why.

All the legislation is being made by people who are carrying out a pretty daunting task with no precedent to which they can refer to the best of their ability and everything is aimed at my protection.

There is no harm meant to me so I have no need to question.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Sep 2020 16:24

Susie, I asked OH how the pubs were managing and he said they were behaving like restaurants. Nobody is standing around the bar. The area is divided up by plastic screens and once all the outside space is full people come indoors, sit down and wait to be served.

This is in Scotland so it may be different where you are. We don't frequent pubs much, but OH was away for a fortnight sailing and eating out whenever he could, which is why I reckoned he would know.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Sep 2020 17:12

Chatting to my grocery delivery man today it seems that a lot of people in our area think things will worsen.

It's a fine line balancing the economy against spread of virus - I shouldn't think for a moment that Boris expected anything like this under his watch.

Edit: just realised you mentioned similar a while earlier, Sharon. Hiccups, sorry. :-D