General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sad News ... Allan's 100th Birthday

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry_

Barry_ Report 5 Oct 2020 04:52

Hello, everyone. Here is a little story and celebration from Canada I trust you will enjoy reading.
Four years ago in the party room of our condominium I met an elderly gentleman. Allan also lived in my building I discovered. (It’s surprising who you DON’T know in your apartment block!) He was 96 and ‘doing well’.
He told me a great deal about himself and where he was in England and Europe during WW II as a Commissioned Canadian Soldier.
Allan and his English Bride married in London in May 1945 days after I was born. The (Mon)day before their marriage he told me was a holiday. On his way to the Register Office Allan asked a policeman for directions and he was told this was his last chance to avoid marriage! Allan’s wife sailed to Canada as a War Bride where she enjoyed a full and happy life. Sadly, she passed away six years ago after 69 years of marriage.
During my talks with Allan - I visit him in his apartment regularly and he gave me permission to use his name - he told me where he was born, etc. From these details I found his ancestors and gave him names and places etc. He loves newspapers and items about the UK I take to him. He really enjoyed his time there in WW II and recalls happily later visits with his wife on several occasions.
THE one most unusual ‘find’ I made - and I presented to him - was a copy of Allan’s entry on the 1921 Canadian Census where he is noted age 8/12 (months).
How often does a person see their own entry on a Census? Hands up those who can say ‘yes’!
I’m sure this is not the first time a person HAS seen their details on the census, although this number of folk is surely exceedingly few indeed!
Unfortunately, Covid-19 has put the kibosh on a 100th Birthday Party for Allan hosted by his daughter. However, it seems very many folk in the building will buy / have bought him a card and pass their good wishes to him for his centenary … a wonderful achievement I feel sure you agree.
If any of you care to add good wishes for Allan I will print them for him and his family in a day or so.
Thank you for your time and your kindness on this truly unique occasion.
Best Wishes and Take Care.
Barry

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 5 Oct 2020 06:15

Have a wonderful 100th birthday Allan. I'll raise my breakfast cup of tea to you in a few minutes. Stay safe and enjoy your day. :-D :-D

Pat <3

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 5 Oct 2020 06:43

Oh my, Allan....100 :-0

Many congratulations <3

I hope you have a super day and have enough puff for all those candles ;-)

Londonbelle <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Oct 2020 07:10

Wow, Congratulations and Happy 10Oth Birthday, Allan!

I hope you enjoy this special day and can remember lots of other happy birthdays and other times.

Lizx (Norwich, UK)

Thank you Barry for telling Allan's interesting story.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Oct 2020 08:53

wow Allan, what an achievement. A very happy 100th birthday to you :-) :-) :-)

Thanks Barry for the story. how lovely.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Oct 2020 09:04

Happy 100th Birthday.

Best wishes Allan as you celebrate this very special birthday.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Oct 2020 09:23

Hi Barry glad to see you posting, give my regards to your Birthday boy.....

Bob...

Certo Cito

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Oct 2020 09:34

Happy Birthday, Allan! Have a wonderful time :-D <3 <3 <3

Allan, were you stationed in the New Forest?
The Canadian Forces haven't been forgotten.

https://www.newforest-life.com/New-Forest-WW2-Canada-Cross.html

Barbra

Barbra Report 5 Oct 2020 10:36

Thank You for this story Barry stay safe A big (((((()))))) hug for Allan on your 100 Birthday <3 Barbara xx

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 5 Oct 2020 14:19

Happy birthday Allan <3

Have a wonderful time xx

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 5 Oct 2020 16:05

Sending you hugs and good wishes on your 100th birthday Allan.

I hope you enjoy your day
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Linda

Linda Report 5 Oct 2020 17:55

Happy 100th birthday Allan hope you have a super day and night hugs

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 5 Oct 2020 18:06

Happy 100th Birthday Allan. I hope you have a wonderful day <3

Annx

Annx Report 5 Oct 2020 18:33

Enjoy your 100th birthday Allan! <3 <3 <3 I'd like to see your birthday cake with all those candles!! ;-). It would light up your whole flat. Very best wishes. <3 <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Oct 2020 18:36

Sending hugs and very good wishes on your special 100th Birthday.

Florene in the hebrides <3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 5 Oct 2020 19:39

Dear Allan

Many happy returns for your special day.

A very happy birthday to you.

Take gentle care
With many good wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Barry_

Barry_ Report 7 Oct 2020 01:44

Hello again, everyone! I trust 'we' are well. 

I would like to thank everyone who posted a message for my dear neighbour Allan's 100th Birthday on 5th October 2020. 
After I posted this thread and kind folk left their birthday wishes, I phoned Allan early in the morning for a quick birthday chat, etc. 
Along with his birthday card and the 1921 Census Page with his entry, I made him a few large cupcakes - with surprises inside - which he always likes. 
I also advised him about this thread and as there were good wishes early on I noted to him, he asked me to convey his thanks to everyone. 
Please kindly consider yourself 'thanked'!

I have just been chatting with Allan's family and I asked about the number of birthday cards he received. This really intrigued me.
The present count is approximately 130 ... and there are more to be opened ... and more are known to be 'on the way to Allan'. 
What a terrific number of cards for a really super and genuine gentleman. 
I am indeed truly so very happy for him that he enjoyed this most memorable of days ... and that so many kind folk remembered him. 

I have noted a link below. If you care to click on this link it will open and show the two very special cards Allan received for his 100th Birthday. 

One is from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. 
The other is from the Governor General of Canada. 

It may be necessary to zoom in to read them clearly. 
This is the best I could do as they were posted online. 
I erased Allan's surname on each card in case you are wondering. 

I would like to thank you again for all your warm Birthday Wishes for Allan. I know he is truly humbled by all that has occurred in recent days. 
I shall wait a wee while to see if there are replies to this input. I shall print these pages and pass them to Allan for his safe keeping ... and perhaps his occasional referral.

Take great care ... and again "Thank You." 
Best Wishes,
Barry 
To see the cards from HM Queen Elizabeth II and the Governor General of Canada, please click below link: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab1skxuyoqnierw/AllanHMCards.jpg?dl=0

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Oct 2020 01:49

Thanks Barry, I am glad Allan had such a huge amount of cards and enjoyed his special day.

He can be Captain/Colonel Allan like our Captain/Colonel Tom.

He was lucky to meet you and find such a kind friend. Thanks for al! you do for him.

Lizxx

The letter from the Governor General is lovely and of course, the card from the Queen is very special too.

Barry_

Barry_ Report 7 Oct 2020 01:59

Liz!! What a lovely surprise to see your post. Thank you!!.
I know you used to be a bit of a 'night owl' but I was hoping you were no longer.
Take great care, Liz
Again, "Thank you.".xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Oct 2020 07:29

Hi Barry

It was a pleasure to send good wishes to Allan and in fact, I send good wishes to you and all your family, friends and neighbours.

Sadly my sleep pattern is still crazy, I am 73 now and will often sleep from 10am to midnight, then stay awake all night, which is my day! Really frustrating but the only way I can cope with the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Oh well, at least I don't see many people so less risk of covid.

Take care

Lizxx