General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Say What?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 11 Dec 2020 21:42

Just when I was thinking that nothing could surprise me any longer, along comes another item which I suppose some people may fall over themselves to purchase.

One of our two major supermarket chains is now selling cooked and shelled hard boiled eggs.

They come in packs of four and cost $6.00 a pack. They are also available in 'conveniently handy' packs of two :-S :-S

I'm not surprised that one of the marketing slogans for this supermarket chain is "That's the wonder of Woolies" :-D :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Dec 2020 22:08

You are joking!! :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 11 Dec 2020 22:32

Nope! And you can crack all the egg jokes you like, but I suppose that for people who have so little time they could be a godsend :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Dec 2020 22:55

They sell them in UK supermarkets, too :-S

It's a couple of firms, 'Just Egg(chilled foods) and 'Happy Egg', who say:
'Rob Newell, the firm's marketing boss, said they were 'the perfect solution for people who love freerange eggs but don't have the time or knack to prepare a boiled egg'.

It's not as if you can't go off and do something else - like prepare toast, make a cup of tea etc while you're waiting 10 minutes for your hard boiled eggs, and what is this 'knack' - putting water in a saucepan, or placing the egg in the water without cracking it??? :-S :-S :-S

Allan

Allan Report 11 Dec 2020 23:02

Ah, but can you get the shell cleanly off or do you demolish the egg in the process?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Dec 2020 23:05

Well, it's not as if they can't look on the internet, is it! :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 11 Dec 2020 23:08

That's why they buy ready prepared precooked items, so that have more time to spend on the Web or in the gym ;-)

McAlp

McAlp Report 11 Dec 2020 23:13

They have been selling them here for years but call them
Picnic eggs. And yes the shells come off cleanly !
Ann

Allan

Allan Report 11 Dec 2020 23:17

These are already shelled, Ann :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Dec 2020 00:17

The supermarkets (and I think M & S) sell them here. Quick and easy for packed lunches and picnics.

Kath. x

Allan

Allan Report 12 Dec 2020 00:36

Well, each to their own :-)

When we have eggs getting towards the end of their shelf life, OH will hard boil three or four and keep them in the fridge to be used over a few days.

I wouldn't dream of paying $6.00 for four, and surely hard boiled eggs must be one of the easiest things to cook. :-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Dec 2020 00:38

Making a sandwich is easy too, but millions of ready made ones are sold every day!

Kath. x

Allan

Allan Report 12 Dec 2020 00:48

Possibly slightly of topic, but in these days of financial hardship being suffered by many due to the current pandemic isn't advice from financial experts not to purchase items such as take-away sandwiches but to prepare your own and keep costs down?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Dec 2020 00:54

Quite possibly but a lot of people are just plain lazy.

I must admit that I quite like the odd take-away when I could just as easily make a meal myself.

Must go to bed. Hadn't realised just how late it is.

Kath. x :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Dec 2020 08:21

Intense testing in your state's egg board labs, no doubt Allan. :-D

I enjoy a pickled egg occasionally. These are sold in jars in supermarkets here but I have to say that I've not come across them hard-boiled unless sliced in a ready-prepared salad bowl.

You learn something every day. :-D

PS: I do the same as your OH, Allan, with eggs nearing the use-by date.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Dec 2020 11:34

I suppose it's similar to packs of carrot sticks, or 'ready prepared' vegetables.

I worked in an office where the son of the manager (a woman) worked as well.
The son didn't live with his mother.
The mother noticed he was buying ready prepared carrot sticks, and told him to 'Come home, and I'll show you how to peel and cut a bl**dy carrot'. The son declared that he didn't have the time to prepare them every day, and she wanted him to eat healthily.
Mum's response: 'I'll give you a tupperware box - you can prepare a weeks worth and keep them in the fridge!'

Sainsbury's have stopped providing plastic bags for fruit & veg. They now provide net bags (that look like they're made of a man-made fibre - just as bad as plastic) that you can buy for 15p, and, ironically, if you buy a bag of carrots - they come in a plastic bag!
Weirdly, my one parsnip, 3 carrots and cabbage are quite happy lolling loosely around in my shopping trolley!

Dermot

Dermot Report 12 Dec 2020 12:03

One of my brothers continue to refuse to eat eggs simply because of their source. :-S :-D :-P ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Dec 2020 12:09

I once lived next door to a vegetarian (1980's). She wouldn't buy the straight from the farm veg that was available nearby, but would go to the supermarket to buy clean unwonky veg.

I had a better compost heap than she did ;-)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 12 Dec 2020 12:15

I find that pre-prepared veg such as carrots have a 'taste' which is not to my liking, probably the solution thy are washed in to keep them 'fresh' :-(

We had fish & chips from our local chippy a couple of days ago, first time in about a year, they tasted good :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Dec 2020 12:38

Sheila, they, like pre-prepared salad leaves, are washed in a chlorine solution.
When I used to buy bags of salad leaves, I'd always rinse them under running water.