General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Washing machine! Typical!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Dec 2020 10:58

Hi all

Hope everyone is staying well and not having too many disruptions to your plans.

Just a quick request please?

To add to the stresses of life at this time, our washing machine packed up yesterday! O.h. struggled to fix it but we feel a new one will be necessary very soon. This one was a Hotpointwasher/dryer bought 12 year ago. We were never impressed with the dryer part so haven't used it much so we think we will go for just a washer now.

Can I have your reviews on your washing machine purchases please? No rush till after the celebrities!

It's been a sad few months, with bad news coming in all directions.

My son was made redundant from his job last month but luckily got a new job in a local Housing Association to start early in January, more money too!
An old friend lost her father earlier in the year and her mother in law died a week before my friend's birthday in early December. Another close friend lost her partner this month, he was in a care home as he had Parkinson's. I just learned that people I know in Corfu have lost their 55 year old husband and father in August, due to Cancer. Two other old friends lost a husband and a mother during the summer. A 89 yr old lady I have known for over 30 years was murdered this month after her house was torched by an arsonist. I am feeling for all these families and friends who couldn't mourn in the usual way. Just hope I hear no more sad news.

Not doing much for Christmas altho my son will pop round at some point during the day. My partner's father is still in the carehome, 89 now and sleeps through any visits allowed. He should get the covid jab soon. My partner is getting even less mobile and his poor memory is a problem, he gets depressed and bored so goes to the local shop every day. I just hope he doesn't bring home any bugs!

Take care, stay warm, safe and well.I
Christmas greetings to everyone.

Lizxx

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Dec 2020 11:06

Hi Liz

We had the same thing happen about 4 years ago.

Our washing machine and fridge-freezer conked out just before Christmas.

We bought Bosch for both, and they are a dream.

Hope I am not jinxing myself! :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Dec 2020 11:21

and my microwave has packed up!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Dec 2020 13:31

Are you looking for suppliers or machine makes ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Dec 2020 13:34

Recently had to buy a new slimline dishwasher

Difficult to get semi integrated but did buy a freestanding one from

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/

Good service and they will install

Ao. com too but prices were cheaper from appliances direct

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Dec 2020 13:49

Get NEW HOOVER they are brilliant from AO

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Dec 2020 14:02

Bosch washing machine for me too bought January 2017.

I would recommend.

Easy to use, delay start if required and fairly quiet, which I like because I often wake early and put a wash in when we are in the cheaper night time electricity rate.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Dec 2020 14:43

Make sure you check the dimensions before you buy.
A friend and her husband had to do some carpentry for an elderly friend who need a new washing machine urgently because of her sick husband.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Dec 2020 18:56

I have bought a freezer, new hob and a washing machine all from AO.com in the past. I always buy Hoover washer/driers and have been very happy with them (the last one about 5 or 6 years ago. AO's service is great. They deliver when they say they will and can often get the appliance to you next day. Prices are reasonable too.

Kath. x

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Dec 2020 23:22

The Bosch products we have work well and have long lives. From experience its worth buying from John Lewis. Our Samsung microwave/convection oven had problems and
Samsung were not very helpful, however, as it had been bought from John Lewis it came with a 2 year guarantee and it was replaced without problems.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Dec 2020 13:00

Thank you everyone! Partner managed to get the old machine working (he worked as an electrical technician). So we are ok for now but we will probably get a new one soon. Your info will be very useful.

Yesterday he managed to fall three times, once outside and twice inside. He can't stop himself, so whatever's in his path goes flying!

Merry Christmas everyone

Lizxx

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 24 Dec 2020 14:20

Merry Christmas Lizz and partner. Hope he has no more falls over the holidays.

Much Love Suexxxxxxxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 Dec 2020 00:30

Thanks Sue, I hope he can stay uprght. I hope to have a little alcohol with dinner but no doubt a certain person will sneak a secret bottle of something, which doesn't help his balance. He has no restraint unfortunately even tho he is not supposed to drink!

Hope you have a nice Christmas

Lizxx

ann

ann Report 25 Dec 2020 22:33

Hello Liz, I have a Miele had a good 7 years no trouble. My daughter had one that was 10 years old that took to Lanzarote and bought back 5 years later and was sold with her house. I have a Bosch in my caravan but not so good.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Dec 2020 18:46

Hey Liz, glad you got your washing machine fixed. My tumble drier on xmas eve had finally stopped working. A bearing had gone but the drum is making a horrendous noise and cant turn properly so its a bit of a nuisance!

Tues a shop is open in town but the prices are expensive but with the tier 4 lockdown, no deliveries will come here and i simply cant do without it. I can dry small things on the rads but not huge bathtowels and jeans.
So will just have to make do until Tuesday.
Its been torrential rain yesterday and today so no chance of getting it dry outside!

Florence in the hebrides

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 26 Dec 2020 19:57

Oh Florence, what a nuisance and an expense you didn't need.

I sometime have to stand a collapsible airer in the bath and I have sometimes stood a dehumidifier in there but the clothes dry up a bit hard.

Planning a wash soon, it"a been piling up over Christmas so will see if the machine still wants to play!

Lizxx

Tawny

Tawny Report 26 Dec 2020 20:49

Happy Christmas Liz :-) :-) :-)

Our washing machine is Hotpoint and we’ve had it just over two years since the one sold with our cottage flat packed up. Really easy to use and we’ve had no issues with it so far. We got it from AO along with our fridge freezer which also packed up. They were very good and even fitted the new appliances and took away the old for a charge.

I lost my job this year too and am still looking. Mr Owl is still working though and we can manage on his salary now. Mr Owl has also applied for a new job and the salary will equal our combined salaries when I worked.

We lost Mr Owl’s granny in April to cancer the same month we lost his grandad(2010) and his dad (1983). At 88 years old her only issue was pernicious anaemia until she found out she had cancer four days before she died. Granny didn’t even need glasses.

I hope your partner doesn’t have any more falls this season and I wish your son all the best

Best Wishes for the season to you and yours Tawny (Rebecca) x

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Dec 2020 00:55

Bless you Tawny, thanks. Hope your parent's rental problems are getting sorted.

All good wishes to you and Mr Owl

Lizxx

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 27 Dec 2020 10:30

Liz Im no help but Lis will feel for you hers died yesterday and had to order a new one wont come til wednesday though I was nice and offered use of our machine but Bens mum has already taken some to do. Do you have anyone local that repairs them we have a guy who took our pump out took it away reconditioned it came back next day and refitted and even got years guarantee with it.

I hate white goods shopping

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Dec 2020 10:38

Oh poor Lis Dawnie, even more difficult when washing machines go wrong and there are children.

Liz if you can afford it Bosch is good, we have a bosch washing machine and dishwasher, both are good we also have a Grundig tumble drier which is very impressive, but they are expensive makes. Hope you can find something suitable.