General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PHOTOGRAPHS -TAKING OF

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2021 12:06

Good afternoon, I hope everyone is well and keeping safe? Looks like there might be light at the end of the very long tunnel. The reason for my post is to ask if anyone is aware of a site where I can post a request fto see if someone would be willing to visit a Cemetery and take a few photos of a particular Grave. The Cemetery is about a one and a half to two hour journey from my home . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have emailed the Office at the Cemetery in question but to date I've received no response.

Take care and keep safe.

Regards,

Kathryn

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Feb 2021 12:16

Local Newspapers are often helpful on occasions like this & may even publish their efforts. Good publicity for themselves too.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 26 Feb 2021 12:29

Have you looked on Findagrave.com.If you can find your relative you can put in a request for a photo from the helpful folk on there.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Feb 2021 12:30

Which one is it Kathryn?

There are people who may help you out.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2021 12:41

Hi all, thank you for your replies and the information contained therein. The Cemetery is at St Pancras Cemetery, Camden. It comes under Islington & St Pancras Cemetery. I have the name(s) as tow relatives are buried in the one Grave. I also have the Grave number.

Regards,

Kathryn

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Feb 2021 12:57

Not near me, sorry.

(My niece was born at Camden but the family no longer live there otherwise I'm sure my sis would have obliged.)

Try what LaG says, above.

Good luck.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 26 Feb 2021 13:04

RootsChat has a section you might find helpful - it's a free site all you have to do is register

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/graveyards-and-gravestones/

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2021 13:30

Thank you again. I've just posted on RootsChat. I'll update if I receive a response.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Feb 2021 13:42

Rollo lives the closest in Islington.

St Pancras New Church in St Pancras, Greater London - Find ...
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2706915

St Pancras, London Borough of Camden, Greater London, NW1 2BA

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Feb 2021 13:45

There used to be a thread on these boards, but it was so long ago that much of the offered help might not be available now.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 26 Feb 2021 14:19

If there is a Family History Society in the area you are looking at then they are usually very helpful with this kind of thing!
They are likely to charge a NON member, would be worth making an enquiry or checking via Google to see if they have a website which would give information as to what they offer!

Joan.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2021 14:28

Hi all. Thank you. Am trying to navigate the Find a Grave site but can't work out how to place a photo request. My brain has gone to mush. I can see requests by other persons but, as above, can't work out how to post a request.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 26 Feb 2021 14:32

If you have found your relative there is a request a photograph Button.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2021 15:33

Hiya, thank you. I've entered the name but nothing is coming up which is bizarre as I have copies of the Paris Record of burials that shows the relative(s) and the Grave number. Very odd, maybe I'm not ntering the details in the correct place.

Regards,

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2021 15:34

Hiya, thank you. I've entered the name but nothing is coming up which is bizarre as I have copies of the Paris Record of burials that shows the relative(s) and the Grave number. Very odd, maybe I'm not ntering the details in the correct place.

Regards,

Kathryn

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Feb 2021 15:41

If there is a family history society which covers it they may have a database of the monumental inscriptions available for sale for a few pounds, but are unlikely to have photographs.

That is how our Hertfordshire society works, publishing in booklet form, on CD and now flash drive.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 26 Feb 2021 16:39

Kathryn if nobody has entered details in it will not come up. I use the Findagrave site and enter my relatives for anyone else searching them. You could enter the relation's details on the site then put in a request for a photo, though don't forget not everyone has a headstone.
I hope this will help you :-)

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 26 Feb 2021 16:40

Thanks again for all your input. I'll give the Cemetery a ring on Monday. I'll update this thread if my quest moves any further forward.

Your help is much appreciated.

Stay safe and keep well.

Kindest regards,

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 1 Mar 2021 10:27

I've just rung the Cemetery following my email to them and was informed that the lady who deals with the emails has been off but that she is back today. I was further informed that if I don't receive a response by tomorrow then I should call back. I will, as before, post an update once I have any further news.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Mar 2021 12:46

I wish you luck Kathryn.

I was trying to find my great-uncle's grave. I knew he had gone to Canada at the age of 17 and I found his marriage. I had already seen his wife's grave online but there was no mention of him.

The lovely lady in Toronto who dealt with my query told me that he is buried with her - but of course, because he died many years later and they had no children, there was no one to ensure that his name was added to the gravestone.

If you get a response anything like the response I got from Toronto, Canada you will be delighted. Apart from sections, numbers etc, the lady who answered my query also informed me who was buried next to them - it was a small section of the graveyard not far from the road so there are only four people in it that area.

I could not have got more information or a better response. Good luck!