General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rubbish collections.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Apr 2021 15:25

These always run a day or so late when there is a bank holiday. I just wouldn’t bother looking at the leaflet.

So why did OH look this time. Lucky he did as the collections apparently ran as normal on Friday & Monday so we have to put the bin out tonight (Monday) as usual. I wonder how many others will have noticed.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Apr 2021 15:31

Ours too wiil be normal Tuesday

Put it out earlier including the brown garden waste bin

Was going to do a garden sweep and put in bin but it’s bee too cold !

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Apr 2021 15:55

ours is a day later.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Apr 2021 16:32

Ours usually stays the same regardless of Bank Holidays.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Apr 2021 16:54

I have no idea!
Where I used to live, it was Friday, unless it wasn't - a bit like the bus service, which they've pared down from a bus every 15 minutes, 30 years ago, to one an hour until 18:15 (but none for 3 weeks, while I was moving, due to one of the many roads into the estate being dug up), and now they've repaired the road, there are 4 buses a day!

Here bin day's on a Wednesday, I think, and apart from Sundays, we have a bus every half hour, up until gone 11pm!! :-D

Edit - it's on Thursday this week :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Apr 2021 17:02

Bet there will be lots of complaints from people who hadn’t noticed the change.

(Smug grin)

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 5 Apr 2021 17:06

No change here :-D

Allan

Allan Report 5 Apr 2021 23:33

Just put our bins out now.

The only two public holidays when the bins aren't collected are Good Friday and Christmas Day. On these occasions the bins are normally collected on the following day.

Although there are no weekend collections normally, the houses whose collections would normally be done on those two holidays are collected on the following Saturdays.

We also have a calendar giving the collection dates as the recycling bin and general waste bin are collected fortnightly in alternate weeks.

All perishable items , food and garden waste go in a third bin which is collected weekly

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Apr 2021 23:45

East Riding of Yorkshire have a great system. Once you sign up for your round they send a text the night before for every bin collection - we have blue for recyclable, fortnightly, green for rubbish, alternative fortnight and brown for garden and food waste, four weekly.

Sometimes we get useful hints as well.

BrianW

BrianW Report 6 Apr 2021 20:34

Ours ran to normal schedule and was collected on Good Friday.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Apr 2021 20:41

Not everyone put their bins out and they arrived a bit earlier than usual.

Oddest thing of the day was the post arriving by 9 am instead of by 6 pm. Made a nice change.

Allan

Allan Report 6 Apr 2021 22:01

We have to have the bins out before 0600 on collection day. but they often don't get emptied until mid-morning.

However, on one occasion when we were going to put them out later, the truck was in our Street bang on 0600 :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Apr 2021 03:11

OH has just put ours out ......... day of pick-up moves forward by one day for each Stat holiday taken.

So last week, pick-up was on Monday, this week it is Wednesday!

Good job the city sends us a 14 month calendar of pick-ups dates by area of the city each year! You just have to remember the colour of "your" area :-D

We have two wheelie bins, the compost one is emptied every week, the garbage one every 2 weeks.

Then we have a blue box for glass bottles, metal., plastic bottles, etc, and yellow bag for newspapers and cardboard, etc.

All are picked up on the same day BUT by different vehicles .............. the city garbage trucks empty the garbage can. A private company has the rights to empty the compost bin and takes it to the city's composting site. A 3rd company has the rights to empty the recyclables from the blue box and yellow bag.

The compost produced from all the stuff collected is used by the city in the parks and floral areas that they control.

An eco deposit has to be paid on beer bottles and cans and on liquor bottles and they can be returned to the liquor store or to a recycle place, and you get money back. Same with certain plastic bottles ......... for example, we buy cranberry juice in big 3 litre bottles, pay an eco deposit, return to the store or depot and get money back.

Lots of stuff can be taken to a large city recycle place and turned into them ...... batteries, electronics, washing machines, etc etc. They then recycle as much as they can.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Apr 2021 07:35

You obviously have a good recycling system Sylvia (I consider our area does too) is that the same for all of Canada or just where you live?

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 7 Apr 2021 08:25

Ours came as usual this morning, no difference when it is Bank Holiday.

We do need to get them onto the pavement by 7am though.

Not on the pavement, not taken.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Apr 2021 08:35

We have to leave ours at the edge of the property. However, they are then left empty on the pavements. Awkward on some of our narrow pavements and busy road.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Apr 2021 09:04

nameslessone
My daughter has the narrow pavement problem, so tries to put her bin out late at night, so not to inconvenience many pedestrians.
She must be near the beginning of the collection route, which is supposed to be timed for 7 a.m onwards. One day, she missed putting the bins out in the evening, but got up to put them out early morning only to hear them being collected just as she went out the door just before 6. 35 a.m.

Do people decorate their bins near you?
Some have some wonderful adhesive stickers showing flowers or garden scenes.
Ours just have stick-on numbers.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Apr 2021 09:10

Ours are boring too. Numbers stuck or painted on.

When we lived in East Kent we had no front gardens. However, when the wheelie bins were brought in I was pregnant so I was able to get my bin collected from the rear gate, which was accessed from the other side of next door, Down the side and then turn. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Apr 2021 09:13

Gwyn, our bin has our house number on the side but I remember seeing adhesive floral bin panels for sale in a Kleen-ezee (not sure of spelling) catalogue several years ago.

Allan

Allan Report 7 Apr 2021 22:25

I've never seen so many rubbish posts on one Thread before. ;-)