General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

vacuum cleaners

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Apr 2021 08:31

cordless. I know I will probably just get a list of the ones everybody has, but I just want to know has anyone got a shark and are you pleased with it.
If you have other types what is good/bad about them
How good is the battery charge.
I want one that is light and relatively easy to use and to store. Mine does go into a cupboard and can be stored upright but is is a fairly small space.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Apr 2021 08:36

We have the Gtechs, the Air ram to run round the floors, and the hand held ones, 3 of those, to snatch and use anytime anywhere. Charge lasts plenty, lightweight, easy to empty, light to carry upstairs. Hand helds up and downstairs and in garage ready for use in cars etc. Recommend to anyone.

Yes, they are not cheap, but we have had them a long time.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Apr 2021 08:43

Thank you, I have mainly carpets no wooden floors. is it good on carpets?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Apr 2021 08:45

We have the GTech machines too and if they can cope with our cat hair they can cope with anything . Really good on all surfaces AnnG, we have hard floors,rugs and carpets.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Apr 2021 09:28

My son gifted us their b&d pet

tbh ....I wouldn't go out and buy one....

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 12 Apr 2021 09:34

We have a Bosch Athlet. We are pleased with it. Does the job for us on wood, rugs and carpets. The attachments are pretty nifty too.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Apr 2021 09:56

What are the weights like? I have an elderly acquaintance who struggles with hers.
( can’t remember which one it is )

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Apr 2021 10:18

I have heard the Gtech is quite heavy. I don’t have pet hairs and need a light weight one.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Apr 2021 10:34

The Gtech Air ram is very light and easy to carry. Works equally well on carpets or hard floors. Weighs about 9 lb on my bathroom scale. Standing up the base is approx 10 in x 12 in. The handle can be laid completely flat, so goes under furniture, but it could also be hung up to be stored like that.

Easy to empty the dust from the capsule too.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Apr 2021 10:43

I've just looked at the Bosch Athlet online, we had the previous model at Church, and it was rubbish in many ways, mainly, a design fault made a hole in the collection tube, we paid £50 + for a new head, and it lasted 6 weeks. I found it difficult to get the components apart, and the brush was constantly stopping with hairs wrapping.

Von

Von Report 12 Apr 2021 11:13

We have a Dyson cordless. Very good on carpets. The hand held bit is in constant use for dusting etc.

You can use it for about 20 mins without a charge and doesn’t take long to recharge.
Reading the article below that seems a short time. Maybe I just give up after 20 mins or it’s not fully charged.

It was bought as a present for us but I’m quite happy with it. :-D :-D :-D

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/12/shark-vs-dyson-which-vacuum-cleaner-brand-is-best/?source_code=911CRJ&&source_code=911CRJ&gclid=Cj0KCQjw38-DBhDpARIsADJ3kjmB9HhBVNDtKbwhbtvyOFLJlF9xyz4E8ymgQw1lbgaZHC3786qm0IYaAuSKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Von

Von Report 12 Apr 2021 11:20

Sorry the link I posted has messed with the thread. ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Apr 2021 12:18

Sorry.

What is a vacuum cleaner? What does it do?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Apr 2021 13:03

I have two slimline dysons

I keep one upstairs because I have problems with stains with mobility

I love them

So easy to pick up and do a quick hoover

I have a cat so have an animal one for downstairs.it’s surprising how much it picks up

Have had many hoovers over the years including a dyson plug in .tThe dyson was great but cumbersome so take upstairs . I gave it to my granddaughter when I bought the stick ones

She was amazed how much crap it picked up even though she thought her carpets were clean

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Apr 2021 13:09

I’ve heard good reports of the Shark and did look at it when we were buying one a while back but ended up getting a Dyson which I can’t fault. A lot will depend on what you want to pay and what you want it for. I originally just wanted a hand held vac so that I could clean the stairs without trying to balance my heavy upright on them but wanted one with a bit of power to it so ended up with a full size cordless.

Mine has 3 suction settings. On the minimum setting the charge lasts about an hour, on the medium it lasts 40 minutes and on the maximum it lasts 15 minutes. I’ve never needed to use the max setting. Just to give you an idea of weight, mine weighs 5.9 lbs.

Kay

Kay Report 13 Apr 2021 00:37

Sharron

I can answer your query. It's a device like a long stick thing with a flat thing at the bottom. It's electrical, so has to be plugged into a socket, then you can watch your meter start whizzing round. Now, in the flat thing is a roller that goes round and round very fast. I speak from experience from when I had one but if this flat thing with the roller goes over your big toe you have to go to hospital, in great pain and unable to walk to get a little hole drilled into your toenail to relieve the pressure that's built up, then blood literally spurts everywhere. The toenail eventually drops off.
Don't take any notice of the above advice, just trust me and avoid all such devices. They're deadly!! ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Apr 2021 07:30

Thanks All still deciding
Still between Dyson GTech and Shark I have all carpets except the kitchen and bathroom, all flat pile type carpets. no pets, only me so not a lot of dirt. carpeted stairs.
I do have a fairly old Goblin hand held which I can use for the car but it is corded.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 13 Apr 2021 08:21

The Gtech Air ram doesn't have any accessories for stairs or corners, you need the hand held for those. Ours have a roller brush for the stairs which is really good. It also has the usual long stick/brush attachments for corners and behind things. I use it also for zapping up insects............

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Apr 2021 09:29

Vera which Dyson have you got please?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Apr 2021 09:41

Our G-tech came along with a hand-held which is handy for stairs and cars. It may have been a special offer at the time - I can't remember now.

We like it - OH uses it more than I do as he has almost completely taken over a job I hate. Could be boredom or could be that he thinks I don't use it enough! :-D

Don't G-Tech also do lawn mowers?