General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is anyone else on here on ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 4 May 2021 18:00

Just recently they have changed the way to add people and census etc from the hints. When you click on to do a review it opens up on the right hand side and at the bottom says do you want to add this to your tree. Today i may have done something wrong. I cant click on that part no more as the page will not go up so i can add. Anyone know what i have done and can help me? I have signed out and signed in but still the same.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 May 2021 18:39

press F5 to force screen refresh.
Then either from TreeView select a person ¦ Facts
or use Search ¦ choose a person and away you go.

The new menu is not obligatory. It is designed to make it easier to update or synch with another source a block of data However it has been designed for the typical screen size in use of 1920x1080 x 23/24 in. If your screen is significantly less than this then the new dialog can be somewhat difficult to use.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 4 May 2021 19:02

Ann, if I have understood the problem correctly- if you scroll down the pop up box there is a link- "view record page". Click on that and that takes you to the document in the old way. I always do this :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 May 2021 19:04

I have complained it's a waste of time - wonder if others feel it is.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 May 2021 20:03

In order to see the whole of the new dialog there is a not-very-obvious grey scroll bar - drag this with the mouse and you can see the whole of it. Nothing will be added/changed re your existing data unless you check the option box (on the left) for each item.

IMHO it does not add much to what was there already.There should be an option to just turn it off. "Hints" are often miles off which is why Ay quiz you if a hint is accepted. Even then thanks to people's tendency to click through on anything Hints can result in hilariious / aggravating errors depending on your point of view. Maybe it would be better for data from "Hints" only to be entered the hard way, providing gadget just makes an existing problem worse.

ann

ann Report 5 May 2021 08:44

Thank you to everyone. I do have a new laptop with a smaller screen and i have found the other way that says view. Thank you

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 5 May 2021 10:09

Ann, I have had to adapt to a smaller screen.
If you're not already doing this- what I have found useful is enlarging the screen.
There is a lot of waste space on this site and I put it up to 125% for the boards and to 110% for the tree. I do this on other sites too. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 May 2021 12:18

alternatively get a bigger screen -all laptops have a socket for connecting a 2nd external screen, usually DVI but hdmi / displayport poss.

A used vgc screen goes for about £ 40 on eBay/Amazon and £ 120 brand new at Currys/Amazon.

For quite a while the standard was HD 1,280x720 still used my most laptops.The current standard is HR 1,920x1,080 though of course there are screens way ahead of this mainly used by gamers / graphics professionals. Office work esp FH Trees and spreadsheets is easier with 1,920x1,200.

New TVs are already using 4K esp with screen size > 40in.
A few mobile phones eg Sony also offer 4K.
DELL currently has an offer of an i5 laptop with UHD graphics for £500. Bargain.