General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Covid-19 Vaccine

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 19 May 2021 19:10

Well I got my letter today inviting me to go for a vaccination. I have no idea what one I’m going to be given but at the moment I’ll take any one I’m offered.

Mr Owl got his letter today too and has the same appointment as me as we’re both over 35 and under 40.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 May 2021 20:32

It will probably be the Pfizer one as they aren't doIng the Astra one for the under 40's

My granddaughter who is still with me had the Pfizer one on Monday she is 38

Tawny

Tawny Report 19 May 2021 21:56

I just hope whatever I get doesn’t hurt too much going in.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 May 2021 23:55

I had the Astra one and only had flu like symptoms for a day or two, good luck and I hope you do not become ill as a result x.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2021 00:01

You'll be fine Tawny. My son has a real phobia about needles but even he said there was nothing to it.

You could be offered the Moderna vaccine or the Pfizer.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 May 2021 03:41

Tawny ................ you won't even feel it, the needle is very fine because it is such a small amount that is needed.

Just don't watch the needle go in .......... look elsewhere in the room, and it will be over before you realise!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 May 2021 09:58

Ditto to what SylviainCanada said. :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 May 2021 13:09

Relax your arm to the side let it hang there when they do it, and don't do it in the arm you sleep on ...... best advice I had and it worked! I had the Moderna one.

Tawny

Tawny Report 20 May 2021 15:30

Thanks all. I’m sure it will be fine. Nothing will stop me getting a vaccine even my fear of needles.

Island

Island Report 20 May 2021 15:48

Tawny, all the vaccine hubs that I've heard about are run with military precision.
Your bum will hardly touch the seat. Honestly, you won't have time to think.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2021 16:11

When my son had his jab he told the person taking his details that he had a needle phobia and that was passed on to the person doing the jab. They simple told him to look away (which is what he does anytime he has an injection of any sort (dentist, doctors etc.) and it was done before he knew it.

As has already been mentioned the needle is really fine and there isn't much vaccine to inject so it literally takes 2 seconds.

You'll be fine :-)

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 May 2021 16:23

Whenever I see anyone on TV getting their jab they always seem to be given cotton wool to hold onto the injection site. Neither of us got one. So what is all that about.

My daughter had the Pfizer and was very smug as she had no reactions. After the 2nd jab of AZ I had no reaction but she felt a bit delicate after her 2nd one. :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 May 2021 16:55

Names
I had cotton wool fixed by tape after my 1st vaccine, as the doctor said he didn't want me to bleed onto my top.(I'm on a blood thinner)
2nd one, at same hub, but different doctor, no cotton wool offered or needed, in fact it was difficult to even see where the vaccine had been given.

I didn't feel either injection being given.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2021 17:01

Names - I thought the same as you when watching the TV. We were not offered (or needed) cotton wool, nor were alcohol wipes used to clean the arm beforehand. It was just lift your sleeve, straight in with the jab and off you go with your little card.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 May 2021 00:44

We didn't get any cotton wool, but we both had one of those small circular flesh-coloured band-aids put on, just as they do when we have the flu shot.

I took the band-aid off the next day, couldn't any sign of a mark!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 May 2021 11:54

We were both done at our local surgery, and like many of you, had no cotton wool, plasters or anything. I think that might be because it goes into muscle, which is less likely to bleed than a vein.

One thing we had, which nobody else has mentioned, was afterwards we were put in a different room and told to sit there for ten minutes before we went home. This was in case we had an immediate reaction, which we didn't! :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 May 2021 12:06

We had no cotton wool for either jab.

We were asked if we were driving. Because we were, we had to sit in a 'waiting room' for 15 minutes after the jab before we could drive home. The same question was asked at both jabs.

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 May 2021 12:41

Our vaccination centre is around 7 miles away from the house. Public transport would mean two buses and over 90 minutes travel time each way so Mr Owl will drive.

Mr Owl has to put in a certain amount of desk time and a certain amount of time dealing with clients. He has come to an agreement with his boss to call that desk time as he finishes with that company a week later anyway.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 May 2021 14:07

When I had my first AZ I would have had to sit and wait for10 minutes if I had driven - luckily I had walked.

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 May 2021 16:53

We've all had to sit and wait 15 mins no matter how we got there, better safe than sorry.