General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ladies + drinking

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Jun 2021 15:59

A WHO report has suggested that women of child bearing age should not drink alcohol.
That’s an awful lot of years without a drink and isn’t that how quite a few got pregnant anyway..

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Jun 2021 16:06

That could mean an awful lot of ladies of our/my advanced age making up for lost time.

Doesn't sound so bad.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Jun 2021 16:29

:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jun 2021 16:59

But drinking affects a man's sperm quite radically - why aren't they advised to stop drinking? :-|
I've also heard, alcohol can impair a man's performance.

...so says she, who was told by her doctor to drink a pint of Guinness/Stout whilst pregnant, as I was, apparently, 'too small'!

I had put on half a stone whilst working as an ag lab, and was a very muscly seven stone! :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jun 2021 17:42

I've also heard of women being told to drink Guinness Stout while breast feeding, to build up their strength..

or else drink one of those "fortifying" wines from the chemist's shop, which were just as ad/good for you ;-D

Do you get the impression this might be a lot of men telling women what to do and what not to do???

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Jun 2021 17:53

You are probably right.

I suffered from ManDiagnosing today. Couldn't get a word in on my return from the hospital GRRR.

You might lke this story :
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9693441/Womans-Hour-host-Emma-Barnett-slams-unpleasant-uncomfortable-design-cramped-BBC-toilets.html

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Jun 2021 19:02

After I had my first child in the Uk I was given a bottle of stout in hospital as was everyone in the ward.

I was surprised to find that everyone received a bottle of stout after having their babies in an Oz hospital too.

I have to say that I did not take mine in either hospital as I don’t like the taste.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jun 2021 19:14

I have to admit to drinking stout (I don't lke Guinness) at home.
If me and OH went to the pub, I drank fruit juice and lemonade!

Having said that, the stout was hardly a danger to our daughter, compared to the Debendox I was given to combat morning sickness. :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Jun 2021 21:36

In theory yes they're right you shouldn't drink when you're expecting.....but as already noted nor should men if they want to do their part :-)

As Sylvia said I wonder if it was a man that decided only woman shouldn't drink!

Maybe they should just produce a few leaflets telling us what to do on any subject then we can just ignore them.

Allan

Allan Report 17 Jun 2021 22:13

I wonder how the world would be today had God created Eve first? :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Jun 2021 10:10

Probably empty of people, Allan, as you can’t improve on perfection. ;-) ;-) ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jun 2021 10:31

:-D :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jun 2021 12:49

But Caroline they are not advocating just not drinking when pregnant, that advice is probably acceptable. they are saying don't drink when of child bearing age. I don't think many females are going to accept that.

Maggie, I was lucky, my doctor refused to give me anything for morning sickness saying I had to live with it, it will pass. I have always been thankful for that.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2021 18:02

Ann ..........

that was why I made the suggestion that it was a lot of men telling women what to do???

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jun 2021 20:20

Smacks a bit of eugenics doesn't it?

Allan

Allan Report 19 Jun 2021 21:21

Is she the daughter of Prince Andrew?

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Jun 2021 21:34

AnninGlos...yes I know thanks but maybe that didn't come across in my comment...my bad as the kids say! :-D :-D

And Allan.... :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jun 2021 21:36

Cousin to Social Darwinism, Allan.

Allan

Allan Report 19 Jun 2021 21:50

I don't mind admitting that I had to Google that, Sharron :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jun 2021 22:01

Some of us are able to admit to this.