General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wormeries

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Sep 2021 10:33

A friend is wanting to know about wormeries. I have checked on line and there is a lot of general information. However, I just wondered if anyone on here has one and if so any tips please that I can pass on.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Sep 2021 10:36

Sorry, Ann, know nothing about them but some keen fisherman may.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Sep 2021 10:48

You know I can't see very well at the moment. I read womaneries!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Sep 2021 10:49

Sharron - :-D :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Sep 2021 10:51

If the gardening posts on the hobbies section is still used they may know as wormeries are used for help in composting.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Sep 2021 11:02

They seem to be naturally attracted to compost heaps, don’t they Pat!

We have a hedgehog who has been visiting us almost every night and must hoover up a lot of ‘nasties’ including worms - but worms are good for ‘’tilling’ the soil so you’d think our lawn would be poor. OH, however, has tended it like a baby since March 2020 and it is the best it’s ever been.

Your friend doesn’t want to eat them, does she Ann, because it brought to mind a friend’s son who, when he was a toddler, used to eat them if she didn’t watch him carefully. :-S

He’s a strapping lad now!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Sep 2021 11:15

Yes Joy they do.

Our council, when we lived in UK, sold compost bins at a reduced rate and you could get worms from them to help start your compost.

Worms love to eat the vegetation and I think it's their waste product that makes rich compost as it's already had some breaking down through the digestive system.

Island

Island Report 8 Sep 2021 12:02

worms which turn up in compost heaps are red worms so presumably only live in that environment. Earth worms turn the soil - I've never seen an earthworm in our comost.

Ann, we do have a keen veg grower here on GR. I can't remeber who it is though.
Have you tried doing a search on FB? I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a wormery group LOL

You can get small ones for children as a science experience.

Island

Island Report 8 Sep 2021 12:08

Yep just as I suspected.......

This one is open to read Ann - Cheshire East Composting and Wormery Club

Enjoy :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Sep 2021 12:45

Here’s a little ditty that we used to sing at school - just to get the juices flowing :-S :-0

Anyone who is squeamish can stop reading now!

Worms for breakfast, dinner and tea,
Nobody knows what they mean to me.
The big ones slip and the little ones slide
Right in the middle of my inside.
Oh, cut off their heads, suck out the juice,
Throw the skins away,
Nobody knows how I survive
On worms three times a day.

Anyone else remember that?

Island

Island Report 8 Sep 2021 12:48

No. Have you had too much coffee? :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Sep 2021 12:52

Looks like finishing school stuff, that!

Island

Island Report 8 Sep 2021 13:12

Pat..... the gardening thread in Hobbies and Crafts is Anng's.
:-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2021 13:15

I used to have one but in such a small garden I didn’t really need to compost. The liquid is good for feeding plants but got thoroughly told off when I offered someone else a bottle of worm wee. Apparently worms don’t wee :-S

Luckily my friend knew what I was offering.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Sep 2021 14:23

I'm sorry, I just had to look that up!!! :-|

Von

Von Report 8 Sep 2021 15:16

I’ve had a wormery for years now. Makes excellent compost and feed.

The first one was a bin but I changed it to one with tiers which is much easier to manage.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Sep 2021 15:20

Thanks all. I deliberately didn't put it on the hobbies thread as it is very under used these days. I will pass that facebook reference on Island thank you. I thinks she knows what they are used for but rather wanted to hear from someone who actually had one, how good they are etc.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2021 15:20

Maggie :-D

It was very funny being give a ‘lecture’ on worms not weeing. You can’t call it worm feed or worm juice because that gives the wrong idea.

I couldn’t think of anything else to call it.

Island

Island Report 8 Sep 2021 15:36

Thanks for mentioning wormeries Anng :-D
I've had a read about them and think they are a great idea!
I'll be on to Von later....... :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Sep 2021 16:00

Not that Sharron (your post 12:52).

Simply, 1950s school food humour! ;-)

Pat, our LA gave compost bins free to anyone who wanted one - but that was years ago so I have no idea whether they still do that.