General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

That was an 'interesting' Christmas!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2021 12:50

I went to my daughters Christmas day, my own home being in a state of disrepair (more on that elsewhere).
Had a gorgeous dinner with daughter, her lovely friend, and my grandsons - who, later on, went to their father's.
Daughter, friend and I then cleared up, and spent a few hours sat at the table chatting, playing games etc. A certain amount of alcohol was taken - but not an excess, I had about 4 glasses of wine, interspersed with coffee, in 6 hours. - that's 'normal' wine glasses, not tumblers! :-D

The next thing I remember, is waking up, fully clothed, alone, in hospital! :-S

I was somewhat confused, but not alarmed. I removed a few of contact things from under my dress, then I asked where the loo was, was shown, and when I returned to my bed, was told I had staples in my head, and was going home.
They tried calling my daughter, but there was no reply. Daughter wasn't allowed to come with me, because of Covid.
At 2am, I was taken back to my house, in a taxi.
Stayed up for about an hour, then went to bed.

Daughter phoned at about 7am, to tell me that she and friend had gone into the garden with his dog, at about 8pm.
They heard a thump in the house, came in, I was no longer at the table. They eventually found me in a heap in the corner of the kitchen, with blood pumping from my head. I sort of 'came around' and tried to talk, but sounded extremely drunk (couldn't form words) and was gasping.
They phoned for an ambulance, daughter insisting that, though I had had some drink, I wasn't drunk, and was talking normally before I hit my head.
I don't remember any of this, or even why I'd gone to the kitchen.

Apparently, they stapled my head in the kitchen, then put a bandage over it, as I kept scratching the staples.

I didn't have any sort of headache the next morning, though my shoulders and neck were sore. It seems I passed out and hit my head on the worktop/door handles.

I'm not sure if I was told what to do - what to look out for, when to get the staples out etc, because, the chances are, I was concussed!
So, I've spent the past week doing very little. :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Dec 2021 13:22

Oh Maggie that was unpleasant, I wonder why you passed out though? Did they do any tests. Quite frightening really. I hope you will soon heal, do you have to go for a check up?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Dec 2021 13:40

Scary. I hope you had tests and they turned out OK.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2021 14:22

I have no idea what they did, apart from finding at least 8 contact doo-dahs on my body, so I presume they were monitoring my heart.
No-one has contacted me from either the hospital or surgery.
I do remember saying, when they suggested a taxi home, that I couldn't afford one,and I'd just sleep there and get a bus home later.
Not something I'd say normally!!
They may have given me a list of things to do, in which case, I probably left it in the taxi.
I've phoned up the surgery about getting the staples removed - a consultation with the doctor wasn't suggested.

So far, I've managed to count 4 staples!
Daughter says the blood streaks in my (silver) hair look good!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Dec 2021 15:13

Oh Maggie, what an ordeal and how awful.What a terrible shock waking in hospital. You must have thought it was a bad dream!!

When you banged your head, you obviously fainted and then was concussed with the knock to the head,
Cant believe the gp hasnt called you to see if you are ok and discuss things?

You need not to rush, take things very slowly.
As for your"low lights", you got them for free!

Hope you make a good recovery soon
Take care

Florence in the hebrides :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2021 15:28

I'm contemplating getting some red dye and 'low lighting' the rest of my hair :-D

I sent a 'not urgent' message to the surgery about the situation an hour ago - just had a call from the receptionist asking if I was kept in hospital - which I wasn't.
It sounds like they have me down as a 'drunk old biddy' - which I wasn't :-|

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Dec 2021 16:29

Then they got one bit right - didn’t they ;-)

Happy new year.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 31 Dec 2021 16:32

How awful, Maggie <3

I'm surprised the Hospital discharged you in such a short time especially as there was no one at home to keep an eye on you. :-0 Perhaps that is a consequence of the Covid situation :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2021 16:37

Just had a call from a doctor at my surgery - yes, the hospital had me down as a drunk old biddy, and assumed my verbal responses were 'normal' - even though I have no idea what they asked me.
The doctor told me what tests they'd carried out in hospital - heart, blood tests, liver kidney, blood pressure etc All were 'normal', though my kidney function isn't as good as it was in August (I only have 1 kidney, so it has a lot of work to do!)

Doctor's sent a detailed (well, as much 'detail' as I could muster) report to the hospital.
New Year could be spent there :-(

*rushes out to tidy kitchen*

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Dec 2021 18:53

Maggie
So sorry to read of your ordeal and I hope you heal soon.

Like Belle, I can't understand why they would send you home to an empty house at that time in the morning.
When you have any procedure usually there is a written sheet of paper about after care and what to expect.
I can't imagine how you'd cope if you really were 'a drunk old biddy'.

I really hope your on-going care is a lot better.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2021 19:29

I too was surprised to be sent home - even in the state I was in (concussion I expect).
I can only assume I answered their questions correctly, though I have no memory of anyone speaking to me.
The hospital hadn't contacted my doctor.
Apparently, it could be one of a few things, so I will be checked to see if it was a 'serious' event or, more likely (due to the positive test results) an unfortunate 'one-off' - my blood pressure was fairly low - it could have dipped too low. :-(

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 31 Dec 2021 19:31

Hope you are feeling ok tonight Maggie <3 <3

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 31 Dec 2021 19:49

Oh dear, maybe forgo the New Year alcohol just in case :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Dec 2021 21:40

Last night, I got my first decent night's sleep.
Because my neck and shoulders were hurting, I was finding it difficult getting comfy - I have 2 neck pillows, but they're behind all the books I've had to stash in the spare room.

Last night, I finally worked out how to sort my pillows, and my neck is no longer sore!
So, today was the first day since 25th, that I haven't had a mid morning/mid afternoon snooze :-D

I have a glass of orange squash in front of me. :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Jan 2022 03:14

Wow Maggie you certainly do things with style don't you!!
Glad to hear you're on the mend but very scary none the less.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jan 2022 04:04

How awful, maggie!

Do hope the tests are all OK, especially the kidney

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Jan 2022 04:38

Oh, that must have been scary and worrying, Maggie! I am glad you finally managed to get a good sleep.

Let’s hope this was a one off and no further problems found.

Happy New Year,
Take care

Lizxx

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Jan 2022 15:15

Maggie, I know it is worrying but they did tests for a stroke, I hope?

My bp is always low so I have been known to keel over if something happens to send it plummeting even lower so, yes, it could have been that.

A drunk old biddy indeed! I hate it when people make assumptions that are so wrong.

Make sure they change that wording - stand over them until they do so as it will follow you for the rest of your life.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jan 2022 16:02

JoyLouise, that will be one of the tests the Doctor is asking the hospital to do.

What is really annoying is, my daughter kept telling them I wasn't drunk - she was upset, which was why she was crying - not because she was drunk (which they may have assumed)
She had work at 7am the next morning - for the NHS - and made it!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Jan 2022 16:06

How jolly dare they make an assumption!

What they need to do urgently is a CT or MRI brain to see whats what. As you know I reg have dizzy spells and am still waiting for my scan!

I so hope your GP is on the case and gets your notes corrected and gets you sorted asap.
What a huge worry for you & said daughter.

Have you ever felt your BP just suddenly drop out of the blue before?