General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KathyS

KathyS Report 6 Jan 2022 12:04

Could someone help me please? Is the 1921 census available on here? If so how do I access it? I would appreciate some information please

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jan 2022 12:15

No it is not. It is available on Find My Past but is not free to even those with subs.

You can view it for free at Kew, the National library of Wales and the Central library Greater Manchester.

It won’t be made available to other companies for several years.

All this information has been given elsewhere
on here and is available by ‘googling’.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Jan 2022 14:49

Most of the C 1921 information is available from other sources, the more so for those with an Ancestry sub. Expect a sharp drop in price and rise in availability after a year, two at most. That is what happened with 1911 and 1939.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jan 2022 15:00

I must be in the minority then. Ancestry doesn’t give me the two bits of information that I really want. Nor can it fill in the gaps I would be interested in rather than want.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Jan 2022 16:41

which are ?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jan 2022 17:26

I checked Ancestry again, just to check I’m right and I was. Also, neither appeared to be on the 1921. Which may mean one never came back from the US as I had thought and the other had a common name and may also have left the country.
Strangely I couldn’t find the latters newly ex wife, and she did have an unusual name.

Scooby73466

Scooby73466 Report 6 Jan 2022 20:29

Newbie here although I have played with the free 14 days and then I asked Father Christmas if I could have a 12 month subscription which he duly brought down the chimney for me.

I found this link on this site : https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census and followed it and did a known search and just got the one result as I expected. It was blurred of course and I was told that if I signed up I would be able to see the result of my search. That almost sounds too good to be true. I know that the 1921 Census has been released but would I have to pay for the result of my search if I signed up or is it really free.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Jan 2022 21:24

Scooby73466.

If you have a subscrption to FMP you will get a 10% discount on all uses of the 1921 census,

,,,,,,,,,,so yes you will have to pay. on top of your sub.... less the 10%..so a card will be needed as its not deducted from your subcription....

Scooby73466

Scooby73466 Report 7 Jan 2022 09:09

Thank you very much for your help Kay. That was really appreciated. I am still learning ! I am slightly annoyed because I thought that a Platinum sub. to this site would allow me to see the 1921 census when it was published,

I'm sure I saw something a month or so back that told me it would be available here. That was one of the reasons why I asked for a sub. to this site. Do you know if it ever will be available to subscribers on here and if so when ?

Thanks again.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jan 2022 09:54

Scooby, the subscribe now page for Genes does not mention access to the 1921 census.

Very few of the researchers on here use Genes for their research but prefer to use subs to other sites such as Ancestry and Find my Past. I don’t believe any announcement has been made as to how long FMP has exclusive access. Bear in mind that it is that company who undertook the transcription.

Scooby73466

Scooby73466 Report 7 Jan 2022 10:08

"Scooby, the subscribe now page for Genes does not mention access to the 1921 census"

I know it doesn't now but I am sure that it was shown a month or so back as a "taster" to what was to become available at some time in the future. Never mind, I might be confused.

I accept that if FMP did the transcription/upload that's why it is available on that site but someone once told me that FMP and Genes were all part of the same company ?

I know I can find this out for myself but can anyone tell me, since you are all being very helpful on here, what the minimum sub. would be for me to be able to view the 1921 Census on FMP please ?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jan 2022 11:49

You don’t need a sub. Everyone has to pay for the download, it is just that those with a sub get a discount. So it might be cheaper to pay just for your downloads.
You can do a very very basic search for free. By hovering you can get the names of some of the others in the household.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 7 Jan 2022 12:06

I thought it was a bit much for FMP to charge for each look up as people were already paying for a subscription.- they said it was to cover the high cost of transcription. Needs must however so I've just done my first look up and was very disappointed with the standard of the transcription.
It was a family of 4 and there were 5 errors - information being attributed to the wrong person, very poor job descriptions and errors of place names.
Of course they know we have no choice if we want to find out details of our families, but I'm not too impressed so far.

Island

Island Report 7 Jan 2022 12:21

I'm not impressed either Susie. I'm glad I don't actually need 1921 info, just looking out of interest. Had a devils own job trying to find three different families because the spellings were ridiculous. I'm blowed if I'm going to pay to correct their errors.
Life's too short.

Scooby, I'm wondering if it was the ad to the left of forums 'Find My Past - The 1921 census is here' which you saw? I think that ad could be misleading as the 1921 is not HERE.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 7 Jan 2022 12:22

I agree with the poor transcription. I had a record where the birthplace was transcribed as Cowbridge, Glamorganshire, on the image it was quite clearly Coatbridge SCOTLAND. :-(

Maddie

Maddie Report 7 Jan 2022 13:16

I have downloaded my grandfathers image and have tried to attach to him on my tree on ancewstry

this is the result

Something went wrong! Take a look at these issues and see if you need to fix them.

The GBC_1921_RG15_08975_0169.jpg file isn't an allowed type. The allowed types are: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, .txt

anybody havee any idea what this means

Island

Island Report 7 Jan 2022 13:28

Basically, it's a c*ck up.

Maddie

Maddie Report 7 Jan 2022 13:37

blast, can it be fixed
i am a computer nerd

Island

Island Report 7 Jan 2022 13:44

Sorry Maddie, I have no idea what those letters/numbers mean.
I was being facetious on account of FMP charging for something that isn't fit for purpose.

Ae you able to post it on their FB page or email them?

Maddie

Maddie Report 7 Jan 2022 13:49

i could try emailing them
it is expensive so wont be using it very much