General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mini gems

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jan 2022 19:42

Has anyone else heard about the small sweeties that have been around for years getting a change of name? On R2 it was discussed that M&S are changing the name of their Midget Gems to Mini Gems as people with dwarfism are offended by the use of the word midget. Tescos are considering doing the same with their own version of the sweets.

Last night on Q time, they also discussed the matter but honestly these sweets have been around for years and so have other sweets etc. Should we change "Ginger nuts" biscuits lest we offend people with red hair? What about "Black jacks,"

So how is it when manufacturers name the sweets, they dont think more carefully about who might be offended by the name.

I just sometimes think we are too PC now, completely OTT.

Personally with midget gems, i have always thought they were called that because they were little gummy sweets and being connected to dwarfs never entered my head!

Florence in the hebrides

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jan 2022 20:39

All it takes is one person to be offended in this day and age, Florence :-(

As an aside, yesterday we watched a repeat of 'Blazing Saddles' one of the most politically incorrect films ever made. We roared with laughter and have kept a recording of it.

I'm just surprised that the TV channel had the round objects to air it :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2022 22:59

It is getting ridiculous.
Apparently, a farm shop near Winchester has renamed their Gingerbread men, Gingerbread persons. :-S

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jan 2022 23:28

I makes me wonder who complained if anyone did, and who to, I don't believe anyone did but that it was made up by the press to sell the paper.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Jan 2022 00:04

When i was working with nursery children, they had to change the words to baa baa black sheep to green sheep. Instead of the little boy who lived down the lane, it was changed to the boys & girls who lived down the lane.
Even the blackboard went and a new"smart board" replaced it.

Maggie, the word men being replaced with persons is discrimination gone mad!

Florence in the hebrides

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jan 2022 09:06

I caught this on telly too. I was busy doing something else but I believe it was a female professor (Elizabeth someone?) who raised the subject. I believe she raised it on behalf of herself or her students - either she, they or all of them were shorter people. I wish I’d taken more notice now!

I don’t mind the change to mini gems if it gives people more peace of mind and it does nothing to hurt anyone else ... a rose by any other name …..

I still don’t like those sweets though. Yuk!

Kense

Kense Report 15 Jan 2022 12:14

Perhaps fruit cake should be renamed to avoid upsetting idiots.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jan 2022 13:24

Just checked. Her name was Dr Erin ...,.. , a lecturer at Liverpool Uni, and she has dwarfism.

It can be a minefield at times, Kense, so I always try my best to understand the other's point of view. I don't always succeed, but I do always try. :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 15 Jan 2022 13:25

It beggars belief that this sort of thing is going on.

Some people are easily upset over nothing.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jan 2022 16:08

One place where I worked, there was an option to put your preferred 'pronoun' - (he/she) after your name on emails. I was so tempted to put 'it'! :-D :-D

Why do so many want to be labelled?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Jan 2022 19:19

:-D :-D :-D@ maggie

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Jan 2022 19:28

Sticks and stones springs to mind.

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 15 Jan 2022 20:00

I love Llion midget gems. I never for one minute associated them with dwarfism.
Its getting too PCj these days.
Florence 61
We had to change it to baa baa fluffy sheep :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jan 2022 20:24

What's wrong with a black sheep?
It's their colour - can they not have white sheep, beige sheep, or even multi-coloured sheep - Baa Baa Jacob sheep?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Jan 2022 21:16

Maggie in school the word black was removed from many things as it could have racist undertones. Ie if you only had 1 black child in the room they could find the "Black board" offensive. All schools now have a smart board instead.

Also the black sheep in the family doesnt fit with the new "Inclusion" programme.

I'm so glad I'm actually retired now and out of it. It became so PC you were actually afraid to say very much at all incase you offended someone.

In nurseries they have dolls that are black & white, male & female & non gender!!! Fgs the world has gone mad.

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Jan 2022 21:22

On a different angle, not sure what would happen on "Fathers' day" when making cards if you had 2 mums! Up to when I left, that situation had not arisen. I was in a small rural school as opposed to a large city school .

I guess "parents day" will be the new norm!

Florence in the hebrides

Edit: I shall go on munching me midget gems and calling them that even after the name is changed.Snickers will always be a marathon bar.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jan 2022 21:36

Weirdly, I always thought of the word 'midget' meaning small, but perfectly formed.
What will 'dwarf conifers' be re-named, I wonder. 'Conifers of restricted growth?'

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2022 23:32

Or vertically challenged :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Jan 2022 23:57

My nick name has always been PORG because I am the shortest in the family.
Person Of Restricted Growth but I'm not offended at all.It was a family joke.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jan 2022 23:58

:-D :-D :-D :-D

What about newspapers that report things like 'giant' house spiders, or 'giant' rats -they're normal sized, but the word 'giant' seems to make the story, well, a story!

Surely, using the word 'giant' purely to attempt to make something more interesting, is insulting to those of above average height, who may be very boring? :-D