General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Importing new file

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Craig

Craig Report 15 Nov 2022 01:11

I have FTM 19 Ged Com version 5.5.1, it looks like Genes is the problem, contacted FTM and reply was check with Genes incase they don't use that version.
Does any one else have that problem.

Craig

Inky1

Inky1 Report 15 Nov 2022 09:39

Have you tried to upload to some other website?
My working file is on here. After I make a few updates/additions I download a .ged, save on my pc and then upload that to both Ancestry and my 'old' PAF5 program. Never had a problem with either.

5.5.1 was the last version that LDS was operating. They had started developing 5.6 but I don't think it was actually issued.

I see on Wiki that 5.7 exists:-
As of version 7.0, a GEDCOM file is defined as UTF-8 encoded plain text. This file contains genealogical information about individuals such as names, events, and relationships; metadata links these records together. GEDCOM 7.0 is the first version to use semantic versioning, and is the most recent minor version of the specification.

The predecessor to 7.0, GEDCOM 5.5.1, was released as a draft in 1999, It has received only minor updates in the subsequent 20 years, The lack of updates to the standard and deficiencies in its capabilities began to see some genealogy programs add proprietary extensions to the format, which are not always recognized by other genealogy programs, such as the GEDCOM 5.5 EL (Extended Locations) specification.[5][6][7] Other standards, such as GEDCOM X, have been suggested as complete replacements for GEDCOM.

GEDCOM 5.5.1 final, released in 2019, remains the industry's format standard for the exchange of genealogical data. With the release of GEDCOM 7.0 in 2021, however, a push is underway to see 7.0 adopted. FamilySearch intends to be GEDCOM 7.0 compatible in Quarter 3 of 2022, and Ancestry.com has 7.0 compatibility on its roadmap but has not yet specified an implementation date. FamilySearch GEDCOM has a GitHub repository

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Nov 2022 17:30

Have you checked with GR as FTM suggested?

Email:
[email protected]

They take a few days to reply.

What is the problem you're having when you try to upload the file?
If the little wheel just keeps going round and round, that's common, and doesn't necessarily mean that your file is incompatible.
Just contact GR and tell them that that's what's happening.

Craig

Craig Report 16 Nov 2022 05:47

Hi Contacted Genes and the reply was I have to delete my tree then import new tree.
Have not needed to do that before, but I will give it a go and see what happens.

Craig

Inky1

Inky1 Report 16 Nov 2022 08:12

Under Import GEDCOM:-

Choose your GEDCOM file for upload. You will receive an email confirming the import is complete in approximately 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of your tree; large trees can take longer.

Upload Warning: you cannot upload a GEDCOM if you already have a tree. If you wish to upload when you already have a tree, you will need to delete that tree first.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Nov 2022 09:40

That must be new.

It used to be the case that if you imported a GEDCOM, it automatically over-wrote the existing tree.

ADDED:

"It is not necessary to remove your tree to allow an upload, but you can only upload one Gedcom per registration. If you import a file for one branch of your family and then import a second file, the first one will be automatically deleted and it is not possible to retrieve the data."
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=448

The info posted by Inky1 is on this page:
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/gedcomimport

GR seem to have changed the info in one place and not the other.

Kense

Kense Report 16 Nov 2022 09:56

The warning about the need to delete your tree before importing a GEDCOM is a relatively new requirement.

They seem to have added that paragraph but failed to remove the text below it, which implies that the GEDCOM is merged with the existing tree but with loss of photos, hot matches etc.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2022 10:06

If that is the case it’s even more important to keep another copy. So you can go back to the copy if it all goes horribly wrong.

Kense

Kense Report 16 Nov 2022 11:40

While on the subject of GEDCOMs, there are a couple of free program tools that are useful for checking GEDCOMs:

GEDCOM Validator which checks that there are no errors which will cause the GEDCOM to fail to load. It also gives warnings where the GEDCOM doesn't conform strictly to the standard.

Family Tree Analyzer which analyzes the content of the GEDCOM and gives statistics and warnings for unusual tree data.

Both are in the Microsoft Store.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Mar 2023 08:22

‘N’

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Mar 2023 08:22

‘N’