General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

who do you think you are

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 13 Sep 2006 21:52

hi all, well that was brilliant, robert lyndsey, alot better than last week, barbara windsor, where is his uncle though, is he still alive,? regards jean

*Carrie

*Carrie Report 13 Sep 2006 22:03

well they said it ended there,so dont know

Valice in

Valice in Report 13 Sep 2006 22:07

Herbert Dawson was born same year as my mum and m-i-l, and they are both still alive. He would have served in the second world war most likely. If he was adopted, then he may have lived under a different surname.

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 13 Sep 2006 22:09

Surely there would be adoption records? I thought it was really interesting

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 13 Sep 2006 22:09

are you thinking that he may still be around then val what year was he born again? catherine xx

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 13 Sep 2006 22:10

I prefered it a lot more last week.

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Sep 2006 22:24

the only fault with this programme is its not long enough,lol.i like to see em go right back,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Valice in

Valice in Report 13 Sep 2006 22:25

He was born in1919, and would be 87 now if still alive, of course he may have died during the war, I got impression he turned up out of the blue to visit his mum during the war, If not alive he may have descendants.

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 13 Sep 2006 22:27

yeah val you would ave thought so, maybe with it being a bit sensitive, they didn't delve more, maybe Robert might with the right guidance. good luck to him catherine xx

Kate

Kate Report 13 Sep 2006 22:51

His name was Herbert Dawson Hallsworth and he died in 1988 in Lincolnshire - found it with one search on ancestry. Kate.

*Carrie

*Carrie Report 13 Sep 2006 22:55

i wonder why they couldnt check that

Janice

Janice Report 13 Sep 2006 22:55

Does anyone else find the programme frustrating and start muttering under their breath while watching it? Since when has a visit to Kew - of all places- been THAT easy??!! PLUS he got to see the original records. Janice

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 13 Sep 2006 22:59

Wish he had gone further back, it was only one generation really. I much preferred last weeks programme.

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 13 Sep 2006 23:14

I wondered why he didnt find the burial of the other little girl ??? I thought he was very good, but I too get annoyed when they make it look so easy .

Suzy

Suzy Report 13 Sep 2006 23:50

I can't believe they would give us the details of Herbert's birth without checking first whether he was still alive. They probably traced his family and cleared it with them before including it in the programme. Just didn't divulge it to us mere mortals. Suzy

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2006 00:01

If a lead proves uninteresting or too lengthy to follow up it wouldn't be suitable for the programme which after all is only an hour

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 14 Sep 2006 00:50

The first couple of times I went to see the local superintendent registrar here, she let me look at the original registers, alongside her. I didn't realise it wasn't normal procedure - but it was a long time ago, before genealogy became so popular. Jay

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 14 Sep 2006 01:03

If you look at the BBC website page on it, it gives a bit more info into further back on his gran Hannah's family that wasn't included on the programme. Is it just me or do the celebrities sometimes seem a bit dumb sometimes - like tonight 'Wow, this is my grandfathers gun' - no its the same type of gun that he probably used.... And not to mention poor old Babs and her toy boy hubby and their 'oh was her maiden name Do?' when looking at the censuses... sometimes it makes me want to slap my forehead in disbelief... Lets hope the others might be a bit better! Alex

Little Lost

Little Lost Report 14 Sep 2006 05:15

Where abouts in Lincolnshire did he die?? buried?? I to get annoyed with all the easiness of it all.Strange coincidence him finding one of the graves on the same day that she was buried. Just shows how old the programme is then as it was 20th June. I am still trying to find out details of one of my lot that went into a workhouse. Barbara Windsor got to look at the entry register to see the address from where hers came from but I cant get any details on mine.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2006 07:28

A shame that the program was more on the history of the WW! and not on Roberts family. Lin