Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

an old puzzle with new confusion

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 21:54

I've been searching for a woman for almost 5 months now and I don't even have the year sh was born yet.....her name is Elizabeth Holland, her Marriage cert arrived and had me stumped!!

The information I need is year of Birth and the name of her mother however Elizabeth may not have been 18 at the time of marriage she could have been as young as 14 so looking for the Birth record to apply for a cert. is a bit of a moot point.

this is all of the information on the marriage cert.
Richard Clementson Richardson age 19 years - Bachelor - coal miner - residing at 5 sedgeletch, Newbottle - fathers name, Richard Richardson - Coal miner

Elizabeth Holland age 18 years - spinster - residing at 5 sedgeletch, Newbottle - fathers name, James Holland - coal miner

witness' were Margaret Jane Stood and Joseph Richardson

Marriage was solemnized at the register office in the district of Houghton le Spring in the county of Durham

Together they had ten children (not all are confirmed)

Thomas C Richardson 1919
John Richardson 1924 (could be wrong as mmn is Harland)
June D.M. Richardson 1929
Sheila Richardson 1931
Alan Richardson 1933
Brian Richardson 1934
Leonard Richardson 1936
Matthew 1928
Mona 1921
William (cannot find birth at all)

All Their children were born in Houghton.

Elizabeth may have had a brother named Thomas?

ok i have a little more info to add to the confusion. My aunt Gloria remembers only being 2 when her grandmother died which puts it 1969 - there is a death record for an Elizabeth Richadson (married name) in 1969 with a date of birth - 25.09.1905 - there are 2 Elizabeth Hollands in that Q and I have purchased both - one has the DOB 23.09.1905 and the other is in december1905 and niether have the father as James..........you see the confusion.......I do beleive the death record to be my Elizabeth but still begs the question when was she born and who is her Mother?

ever hopful - Jo x x x

Samspade

Samspade Report 12 Nov 2008 22:02

Why do you think she was lying about her age on her marriage cert? there is this birth which is only two years out.It's the informant who tells the registar the date of birth so he/she might not have known the correct year.

Births Dec 1903

HOLLAND Elizabeth Houghton 10a 507

Samspade

Samspade Report 12 Nov 2008 22:03

also this

Births Sep 1906

Holland Thomas Houghton 10a 562

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 22:07

This is the husband, just for info:

Births Mar 1900
Richardson Richard Clementson Sunderland 10a 701

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 22:12

Unfortunately, Joanne, you have started a new thread when there are two existing threads about the same thing.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1096912

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1095547

Keep in mind that not everybody who tries to research a question ends up posting in a thread (if nothing useful is found). Different people are probably doing the same work multiple times, in response to the various threads.

The thing to do when you have new information is add it to one existing thread. The thread will pop back up to the top of the list and new eyes will see it.

You may be seeing your threads on the Holland surname list, where it is clear that you have several threads on the question. Everyone else is seeing it on the general Trying to Find board, where no one has any idea there were previous threads. (Click on "remove this filter" if you see it on the left, and you will see how it looks.)

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 22:13

Thanx for the info.....the reason i think she was lying about her age at the time of marriage is simply that the whole family thinks she was lying.....she must have told the story or i wouldn't know but it gos like this.....Elizabeth was 14 and fell pregnant to the son of the household she worked for so they got married...in the end it just sounds like chinese whispers so I am really none the wiser lol

Jo x

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 22:21

Was there another Richardson-Holland couple having children in Houghton reg dist?

Births Sep 1930
Richardson Joseph E Holland Houghton 10a 870

Could be a child who died in infancy ... yes:

Deaths Sep 1930 (99%)
Richardson Joseph E 0 Houghton 10a 425

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 22:27

Hmmm...interesting liverpool is a bit far to be my family but this Joseph 1 looks smack bang in the middle of my lot...I have never heard of him but still I think I'll kepp the record just in case

cheers Jo x

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 22:29

Sorry -- I'd forgotten to delete that Liverpool one so I went back and did it!

And found the death in infancy of Joseph.

Do you have the info about Richard Richardson's family?

I'm just wondering whether young Joseph might have been named for this Joseph who died earlier that year, in case that would help to find anything in that direction:

Deaths Mar 1930
Richardson Joseph 45 Houghton 10a 539

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 22:34

This is the only James Holland marriage registered in Houghton 1880-1905:

Marriages Sep 1904
Holland James Houghton 10a 849
Seery Jane Houghton 10a 849

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 22:38

Richard Richardson had a brother named Joseph I have hime in the 1901 census aged 4 and my mother says he had an accident on a train track but i don't know if he was a child or adult....it does seem possible also I think the other Joseph may have died young too if he is my family as i have not been told about him

Loving the confusion - Jo x

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 22:40

James may not have been from Houghton some people can remember a Lancashire accent from Elizabeths side................More confusion lol x x

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 22:43

The most likely looking Jane Seery in 1901:

Name: Jane Seery
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation: Servant
Where born: Castle Eden, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Cowpen
Ecclesiastical parish: Horton
Town: Newsham Freeholds
County/Island: Northumberland

Name: Jane Seery
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Edward
Mother's Name: Margaret
Where born: Castle Eden, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Haswell
County/Island: Durham
Street address: Eight Rows Third
Registration district: Easington
Sub registration district: Easington
ED, institution, or vessel: 2

Household Members:
Name Age
Edward Seery 35
Jane Seery 1
Joseph Seery 14
Margaret Seery 36
Margaret A. Seery 5
Mary Agnes Seery 10

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 22:48

Holland-Seery could be completely the wrong couple, I was just looking to see where Jane Seery might be, to see whether there's a James Holland in the vicinity who might fit the specs for Elizabeth's father -- since Jane Seerys are a little more scarce on the ground than James Hollands!

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 22:52

Could be some excellent info here, if its the right James...I am going to order the birth cert for that Joseph and see if it is my Family because that will pose some interesting questions like why was he forgotten and never mentioned again....Ican't wait for the 1911 census it's going to clear up alot let me tell you x x x

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 23:09

So to recap Elizabeth could have been born in 1903 her brother could have been born 1906 Her mother could be Jane Seery and she could have had a son named Joseph who was forgotten about..............this is a lot of coulds many avenues to follow here should keep me going for a bit.

EXTRA INFO STILL WELCOME

Thanx Jo x

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 23:10

There are waaay too many James Hollands in Lancashire for me!

As for the one who married Jane Seery, this looks like the best candidate.

Name: James Holland
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Owen
Mother's Name: Isabella
Where born: Rainton, Durham, England
Civil Parish: East Rainton
Street address: 1 Kelsey House
** Registration district: Houghton Le Spring
Sub registration district: Hetton le Hole
ED, institution, or vessel: 11

Household Members:
Name Age
Bridget Holland 8
Isabella Holland 30
James Holland 2
John Holland
Katherine Holland 6
Mary Holland 4
Owen Holland 40

Name: James Holland
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Owen
Mother's Name: Isabella
Where born: Rainton, Durham, England
Civil Parish: East Rainton
Street address: 1 Kelsey House
** Registration district: Houghton Le Spring
Sub registration district: Hetton le Hole
ED, institution, or vessel: 11

Household Members:
Name Age
Bridget Holland 8
Isabella Holland 30 - born in Cumberland
James Holland 2
John Holland
Katherine Holland 6
Mary Holland 4
Owen Holland 40 - born in Ireland

Grrr. Ancestry is messing me around and won't show me the image for the 1901 census, to see what that James's occupation was.

Joanne

Joanne Report 12 Nov 2008 23:20

It defo says he's a coal miner..............hmm more interesting......I wonder if the accent the Richardson kids could remember stemmed from Irish as Owen came from Ireland......and the plot thickens

I'm really enjoying this I bet i'm up all night trying to link all of this info together x x

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 23:23

Me, I have to do some work, so I'm going to let you lose the sleep!

You saw the 1901 image and it says that the James Holland in question is a coal miner?

But then, wasn't everybody? Heh.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Nov 2008 23:26

My error in the census info for the Hollands -- I attached the

"Occupation: Colliery Labr (Miner)"

to Owen in 1901, but that was on the 1881 transcribed record (I still can't get anything but an error message for the 1901 image).