Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Garden thread 2014

Page 0 + 1 of 63

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kandj

kandj Report 20 Jul 2018 09:30

I still have 2 or 3 poppies but also lots of colourful Cosmos flowers that are cheering me up a little and filling my time as I deadhead them and rewarded with even more.

Another very hot day again and the lawn is crunching underfoot and looks like straw.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jul 2018 12:24

Add to mr Scissoehands and Mr interferon my Mr Croppit. Wor betide anything that starts to 'straggle'.

Kandj the lawn will recover as soon as we have rain so don't worry, your work will not have been in vain. I think it is better to leave it rather than give small amounts, the roots of grass are very deep so small amounts sit of the top of the grass. Your poppies sound beautiful, ours are all over now.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jul 2018 09:41

kandj
Your poppies sound just wonderful and how lovely that passers-by have enjoyed them and commented too. It seems to be a particularly good year for poppies. I've noticed that in spots where I know even wild ones grow, there is an abundance of blooms this year.
My own garden is suffering from the heat and there are huge cracks now in the grass. We have been asked to conserve water, so it only gets an occasional bowl of 'washed the veg. water ' or similar.
On Thursday I picked a few bits and pieces to take into school, where I volunteer. The children were learning about plants and seed dispersal and were fascinated to learn that sometimes things just arrive in the garden without planting. I took in forming elder berries and unripe blackberries. I also took in a stem of 'blown in on the wind' marigolds,which had some flowers and some seed heads, so that the children could see the different stages. I've been so busy lately that the garden has suffered, so I hope soon to curb the invaders, but at least they came in useful as a learning aid.
That evening I picked my first ripe blackberry of the season.

I will wait for the rest of the crop to ripen, then get busy ousting them.

kandj

kandj Report 8 Jul 2018 09:18

It is just far too hot and both lawns look like straw. So much for my weed and feed and scarifying efforts weeks ago, I found that hard work but persevered a little each day and now the grass has become straw-like with all the sun and no rain for such a long time.

I passed on the bedding plants this year but I did set some poppy seeds from last year and now have such a beautiful mass of colour in the front garden border. Pink, Purple, Lavender, Red, Orange poppies which are pleasing not only me but many bees too.
A real joy to see (many comments from folk passing by), cheers me up and all for free!!

Von

Von Report 7 Jul 2018 21:16

Vera you did make me laugh. I feel you should introduce your Mr. Scissorhands to my Mr. Interferon ;-) ;-) ;-)

I had a lovely day at Hampton court flower show yesterday although it was very hot.
Good to see gardens that I had seen on the TV and talk to some of the plant breeders who were in the plant marquee. :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 7 Jul 2018 18:48

Oh dear. I am not sure whether gardening with my OH is an adventure or a trial. It’s certainly a journey into the unknown :-0

Today he said he was going into the garden to do a bit of deadheading. I assumed he meant taking a few spent blooms off the geraniums and flowering pot plants but that’s too simple for Mr Scissorhands. All my big clumps of salvias with tall purple spikes have been cut down to about a third of their height with not a flower in sight :-|
Some of the spikes had gone brown but there was plenty of flower left and the insects were buzzing round them still.

I think he sensed my displeasure as he very quickly offered to cook our evening meal which he is doing as I write :-)

One good thing is that all our fencing has been done with a nice new gate and the concreting that is now stopping our garden sliding into next door is complete, and it is all looking good. If we want it painted the pale greeny-grey colour we had before, the same people will do it for us in about a month’s time when everything has dried out and settled down. We’re really pleased with it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jul 2018 15:57

Tess, good to hear that your garden is doing well. Those 'chocolate' roses sound gorgeous.

Ours is still surviving the heat but we are away for 4 days so it may suffer a bit. Our neighbours are very good but it is a lot to expect them to water so we have to accept that, if we want to go away, the garden may suffer a bit.

I love the long hot sunny days, even though it is too hot to sit out most days. I would be grateful for some overnight rain though. :-) :-)

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 3 Jul 2018 14:58

Sorry to take so long to get back to the thread.

have been "busy" watching football and falling asleep 9sometimes at the same time).

Well, my "good news" - I planted five (bare root?) Old English rose shrubs in the winter. All five have come into leaf - including one the I accidentally chopped down while hacking away at the numerous weeds. Two have had some beautiful flowers (i.e. the deep pink one and the yellow one) the red one has some tight buds, but as of yet they haven't opened.
However, a few years ago I bought a chocolate (or dark chocolate) bush it has had very few flowers over the years. This year though it has blossomed big time - loads and loads of deep red roses, with a brown tinge on the edge of the petals.
I tend to buy plants from supermarkets - especially when something is going cheap and or on special offer.
two 9or three) years ago I got an outside plant with red flowers, (I think that it may be some kind of Scabius) It too has had loads of flowers, enough to use some in vases. It must have spread, as there now seems to be a few plants. When the petals die back it leaves a beautiful seed head - good enough to use in my vases. I also leave some of the seed heads to seed.

I've got a French Lavender, not in a pot -another supermarket purchase - lots of bloom - again enough to cut a little for flower arrangements.

Planted a few bulbs and many came up - Daffodils did very well.

My heathers survived the winter, but the hot dry spell has seemed to make them disappear! Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I tend to scatter my plants throughout the garden. So can never remember what has been planted where. Then I get a nice surprise if something grows. Trouble is, I have difficulty indentifying some things.

Off to watch the footie. (I'll be glad when it is all over.

Hope that nature will supply a nice drink for the all gardens in need soon.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jun 2018 19:47

Thanks Von we did it was great, wish holidays didn’t generate so much washing though. Two loads done and possibly 3 to go. Oh doesn’t tolerate moss in his lawn, it is a running battle though.

Von

Von Report 18 Jun 2018 18:41

I hope you've had a good holiday Ann :-D

I must say I'm of the Bob Flowerdew school of thinking when it comes to moss in the lawn ;-) ;-) ;-)
Moss remains green, is lovely and springy to walk on and in our case this spring has provided lots of worms for the adult blackbirds. They have fed their little brood from goodies they have found in the lawn.
And it doesn't need mowing so often either ;-) ;-) ;-)

Our village had open gardens last week and we visited a few one of which gave us an idea to change some of the garden :-0 :-0 :-0
Needs some serious planning though - I'll consult the landscaper aka OH. ;-) ;-) ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jun 2018 15:44

hat sounds like a big job Vera. We are just back after 15 days away and we have a jungle to contend with. It is all flowering well, only one tomato not thriving but is very 'lush'. OH is busy choppy back as it is garden bin day tomorrow. I am on the second load of washing and there are two more loads in OH's case and the washing bin!!

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 18 Jun 2018 12:52

How’s your lawn now Kandj? We don’t have grass anymore but we do have a big problem with moss in the beds even though the soil here is fairly free draining.

Our garden is looking very lush and somewhat overgrown. I can’t believe that 4 years ago there was nothing there but a tatty area of grass. I have noticed that the blooms on some of the perennial flowering plants are getting smaller so I will be dividing them at the appropriate time and hoping that will give them a boost.

At the end of the month we have a fencing company coming to replace all our fencing. It’s a big job as there is a lot more involved that just slotting in new panels so they are expecting to be here for three days. After a month for it all to settle and dry out they will come back and paint it. We want it the same light greyish green that we have already. I hope they don’t have to trample on too many plants to get to the fence.

No end to these maintenance jobs are there

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jun 2018 20:57

Kandj it is always a fingers crossed moment when killing moss and weeds in the lawn isn’t it. Sounds as though it is working anyway so good luck.

Tess oh dear you do have a problem looking forward to your good news. Hopefully son will be able to fix up a new cord for you.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 5 Jun 2018 18:41

Will try to come back with some good news soon (I really HAVE got some!) However at the moment it has been over taken by my bad news! :-0

I have killed my lawn mower> Tried to mow the ratherovergrown "lawn" yeaterday and ran oner the cord. It is now in two pieces. :-(

And my son has run off with my scythe - he says that it is a health and safety issue.

kandj

kandj Report 3 Jun 2018 11:48

Well done Vera OH...... you are obviously teaching him well. Praise when deserved.

Out early this morning to water in some weed and feed I had spread on the front lawn. It is working and already turned some moss black. Not a pretty sight but needed to be done. Now I am just hoping that the feed nitrogen element will work! Fingers crossed.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jun 2018 20:51

Ok well done your OH. But you are right, ration the praise, don’t want him to get carried away. Still glad you are now happy with that bit of garden

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 2 Jun 2018 20:26

Very early in the spring I said to OH that we needed to divide a lot of our plants before the garden got too overgrown. He decided we would be fine for another year or two. Of course now everything is too big and some plants are dying for lack of light and water as others have grown over them.

I had a moan at him about this and a while later was horrified to see him out in the garden with shears and secateurs. My thought was “Be afraid, be very afraid” :-(. You know how expert he is at giving everything a crew cut.

Well I misjudged him. He has cut back a choisya, taken out a couple of grasses and done a good job of removing quite a lot of large leaves from a couple of hostas and leaving them a nice shape. That little bit of the garden looks much better now. :-D

I have thanked him but daren’t praise him too much in case he gets shears happy.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 May 2018 17:29

Been working hard on the garden today, planting out OH's petunias in borders and pots and generally tidying up. Pulled the forgetmenots out as they were over which gives space for annuals.

anyway, photos of the garden taken today are on the photo blog. If you haven't got or have lost the address please ask and I will give it to you.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Apr 2018 22:07

He will catch on soon Vera.
I managed to get a few things done before the sun came through this morning and then a bit more after 4 pm. Couldn’t stand it out there in the middle of the day. Still sounds like it will be back to normal in a couple of days here. :-0

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 20 Apr 2018 16:55

I’ve been busy trying to tidy away the winter debris in the garden and have got quite a lot done but in this heat I can’t stay out there for long. Our garden is in full sun nearly all day and I find working out there for long brings on a bad headache.

OH was in the garden with me a few days ago with secateurs and loppers in hand. I managed to guide him towards the cornus as that needs hard pruning to get the red stems next winter. I thought it would survive one of his famous “ haircuts”. I’m getting quite devious these days