Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for David Hopkins

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 8 Apr 2012 16:42

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me I am trying to trace my birth father David Hopkins he has a brother by the name of John Hopkins. David was/is a painter and decorator his brother John is/was a builder. I know that theyr mum was living in the tower block flats in Sketty Swansea in 1975. Anyone that thinks they may be able to help please get in touch as I'v been desperatley searching since I found out about him last September and I'm not getting very far :-(

patchem

patchem Report 8 Apr 2012 17:25

As you can imagine there are lots of David Hopkins.
Was he born in Swansea, what sort of age is he, and did he have a middle name? Also, have you any idea of his Mother's name, and also his Father?
Thanks

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 12 Apr 2012 23:09

Hi I have very limitted information. I know he has a younger brother called John. David is/was a painter and decorator and John a builder. I do not have theyr mum or dad's names. I drew a blank with one possability and feel like I'm going in circles. As far as I am aware they were both born in Swansea. The adoption people aren't very helpfull as I can not see any personal details regarding my father! How ridiculous is that? He is a part of who I am but due to the fact my adoption took place in Wales they are not allowed by law to reveal his details, however if I was adopted in England there would not be any problem (all very confusing and irritating) Imust point out my mother is my biological mother but she married and approx 4/6 years later to have my stepfathers surname they had to adopt me.
Thank you Amanda

jax

jax Report 13 Apr 2012 02:29

I see you have attached a postem to one born in 1951 on freebmd

Not seeing a younger brother called John for that one, also it looks like he may have died as a child

Name: David R Hopkins
Birth Date: abt 1951
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1955
Age at Death: 4
Registration district: Swansea
Inferred County: Glamorganshire
Volume: 8b
Page: 726

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 13 Apr 2012 04:23

There is another DAVID R born in 1950 with a possible brother
JOHN N born in 1965 ( 15 year age gap )

Mother's maiden name JONES

There are a few Hopkins/Jones marriages in Swansea

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 14 Apr 2012 17:08

Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated. I will look them up thank you

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 14 Apr 2012 17:23

Right guy's as you can all tell Im very new to alll of this so I really could do with some help. How do you check if there are siblings?

patchem

patchem Report 14 Apr 2012 22:36

If they are siblings they will have the same surname AND mother's maiden name, as showing on free bmd.
So if Graham Dean married Lucy Trafford in 1915 their children can be found on free bmd after 1915 with surname Dean and Mother's surname Trafford.
With 2 unusual surnames there will be very few possible births, however, if Graham Smith married Lucy Jones there will be many Smith/Jones births, so it is far more difficult to know who is who.
If they married in 1915 and were 20 at marriage, then you can assume that no children would be born after age 45 to 50, so stop the search at 1945 (or slightly later if you want to cover all possibilities such as wrong age at marriage.)
If you know that the parents stayed in the same area then you can restrict births to that area (but they might have given birth elsewhere just to fool you)

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 3 May 2012 21:35

Searching for my father David Hopkins born approx 1951 from Sketty in Swansea belived to have been living either in Hazel Court tower block flats or Clyne Court tower block flats around 1975 his trade is painting and decorating he has a younger brother called John who was is in the building trade anyone with any information please contact me.

Joy

Joy Report 3 May 2012 21:48

Is David Hopkins aware that you might be his child?

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 7 May 2012 21:10

Yes he is aware that he has a daughter as he willingly paid maintenance for me. I'm desperate to find him. My mother has told me her side of events but I know there are two sides to every story and some of what I have been told just doesnt ring true.

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 5 Jun 2012 21:01

Why can't people just be honest! I keep going round and round in circles all the time. I do a search but still nothing! It gets so dissheartening. I really don't know where els to go from here :-(

patchem

patchem Report 5 Jun 2012 22:35

We attempt to be honest.

Electoral roll search of tower block flats in Sketty Swansea in 1975, for Mother and/or her sons?

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=30235

or local Swansea library?

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 6 Jun 2012 10:04

Thank you. I wasn't reffering to anyone on here it was my mother as she's given me very little information and I know she's holding out on me. but I can't force her to tell me can I. Thank you again

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 1 Dec 2012 15:03

Hi I have been searching for a number of years for my birth father. The only information I have about him is that he was living in no 81 Hazel Court Sketty with his mother Catherine M Hopkins and brother John Hopkins in 1975. He was/is a painter and decorator, he was approx 23/28 in 1975 his brother was younger but I am unsure of how much younger his brother was in the building trade. I unfortunatley do not have his mothers maiden name and have no idea how to obtain it. If there is anyone that can help I would be eternaly greatfull as I wish to find my father before time runs out as none of us are getting any younger. Amanda Louise was Stevenson now Harries

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 1 Dec 2012 17:05

Well I have pretty much narrowed my search down to two possible maiden names for my paternal grandmother catherine m jenkins married to or catherine m black and now I'M STUMPED! How do I find out if Miss Black who became Mrs Hopkins in 1941 is indeed the same Miss BLACK who had William D Hopkins in 1949 and John Hopkins in 1954 and if infact these two men are actualy brothers :-S

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 1 Dec 2012 17:31

Ok guy's I realy need some help I have no idea what els to do now or where els to go :-(
The woman in my profile picture is my mother the baby is me so if anyone recognises the woman in the picture please let me know. Thank you :-)

jax

jax Report 1 Dec 2012 17:36

There is this death not seeing a Catherine M Black to match...but then she could still be living or died in the last 6 years

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2006
about Catherine Mary Hopkins
Name: Catherine Mary Hopkins
Birth Date: 6 Apr 1920
Date of Registration: Feb 1987
Age at Death: 66
Registration district: Swansea
Inferred County: Glamorgan
Volume: 27
Page: 2355

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 1 Dec 2012 17:46

Thank you Jax you are as always very helpfull :-) I to have searched the death records and am unable to find any trace of was Miss Black then became Mrs Hopkins. I was thinking of ringing the registrars on monday to see if they could tell me if this lady is indeed the mother of both menas I'm not sure what else to do

amanda louise

amanda louise Report 1 Dec 2012 17:57

I'v also checked the birth records for miss black and it appears that there was only one catherine black born in wales in pontypridd in 1917 so what to do now. I'm even more confused now :-S