Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sidney Lamont

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Johanna

Johanna Report 21 Mar 2013 23:34

Hi
Bit new to this but would anyone have any info on my father Sidney Russell Lamont formerly of Lowestoft Suffolk?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Mar 2013 23:49

What are you after and when was he born?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Mar 2013 00:02

Looks like he was born in Scotland?

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2013 10:15

When you say 'formerly' of Lowestoft, do you imply that he is deceased..........or merely that he left the area some time after 1974?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2013 10:18

There is a possible second marriage for him in 1986, but you'd have to get the cert, to verify father's details

That couple are on the ER on 192.............2002-2005

Pamz

Pamz Report 22 Mar 2013 20:17

Hi Johanna, I have sent you a private message, I hope it helps Good Luck...

patchem

patchem Report 22 Mar 2013 22:25

Welcome to the boards,
Johanna.

Locater,
Could you say what sort of private information you have sent, to prevent us duplicating searches?
Thank-you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2013 22:30

I hope the PM included advice about returning to this thread...........

Pamz

Pamz Report 23 Mar 2013 16:05

No Problem Patchem, one sometimes has to send delicate information privately, I don't mind you duplicating the information I have found, as it goes some way to endorse one's findings are correct...

Sorry Reggie not sure what you mean; why would I need to include that, maybe Johanna did not need to come back to this thread & surely she would find a way; if she needed to, besides I feel to just add such 'advice' would seem patronizing....

Pamz

Pamz Report 23 Mar 2013 16:35

Reggie

I am sure she will find her way back if she needs to, sorry I would not have suggested such to her; one should not presume about another's intelligence, after all she did find the boards to post here in the first place, she found her way to the private message I sent her and managed to send a reply, maybe she has not returned because she now has all she needs...

jax

jax Report 23 Mar 2013 17:17

You would be suprised how many people cannot find their way back to their threads and need guidance.

Finding a private message is a lot easier as GR send an email.

There is a stickied thread at the top of this board asking that helpers give some sort of indication to what they have sent....did you not bother to read it?

Pamz

Pamz Report 23 Mar 2013 18:03

No of coarse not; far too long in the tooth, no more than you would read a post that begins with:

When you tie your shoe laces, or when you unzip your jacket...

One would get no where if one wasted time reading the obvious...

I much prefer to spend my time helping/assisting others....

jax

jax Report 23 Mar 2013 18:10

If Genes thought it was a good idea to sticky the post, they must want people to read it???

Helping and assisting??? all by private message then? or do you make a point in deleting all posts, changing your name and starting again?

patchem

patchem Report 23 Mar 2013 18:20

Locater,

I do not want to know what the delicate information is, I just wanted some indication of what you had sent.
It is not just me who is looking, possibly many others, which is why it helps if you mention e.g. address sent as found in bt online, or possible death found etc

As regards Johanna returning to the boards, anyone displaying common courtesy would do that. But if she thinks that all messages are going to be sent to her directly, she may believe that she does not need to return to the boards. That is why we usually indicate that there is information and discussion on the boards as well as any private message sent.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 23 Mar 2013 19:15

Spotted this thread.

May I just add Locater, I have spent the last 5 - 6 years sending messages to those who have not returned to their threads.

I have sent over 30,000 of them. The majority of them have replied, telling me that they are extremely grateful as they were expecting to receive an email in their inbox. Many admit to being new to the boards, elderly or unused to forums.

I only inform those who post on the Find Ancestors and Genealogy Chat board though, I do not inform those on Living Relatives by personal choice.

This seems to gives a clear indication that many people do NOT know how to find their way back

As for the duplication of advice - you seem to miss the point that not every helper on these boards has time to waste for something which has already been found by you. Just a little courtesy would go a long way.

It is a little strange that you are so good at giving advice on using these boards considering that you have just 11 posts to your name, whilst patchem, Reggie and jax have a grand total of 60,000 between them.

Cx

Pamz

Pamz Report 23 Mar 2013 19:45

As for how many posts that is because I work by private message DER....

& have a life... :-)

patchem

patchem Report 23 Mar 2013 20:07

I said absolutely nothing that justified my post being rr'd.
Cynthia is the most respectful and responsible and helpful person on these boards.
Jax and Reggie were not rude, and did not breach any guidelines.

Added: or my post of about 2 minutes ago.

Sorry, Johanna, there are some silly people out tonight.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 23 Mar 2013 20:16

My word, Locater, you DO have a way with words don't you? I have to admit to being slightly insulted by the word numb skull though as, I am sure, are the others.

Perhaps you aren't aware of the absolute talent, expertise and experience of those who help on here.

Working by private message actually defeats the purpose of these boards apart from where privacy is required.

We are not meddling or bullying, we are trying to show and advise you how these boards work. We are a Community - we work together - we help each other to help others. We make friends on these boards with each other and, sometimes, with those whom we help.

We are not a private detective agency.

As for having a life you are, indeed, fortunate.

Many of us help on these boards because life has dealt us some sort of blow, whereby we cannot be as active as we once were.

For many, this is their way of helping others despite their limitations and I admire them wholeheartedly.

Cx

patchem

patchem Report 23 Mar 2013 20:20

I put in my post of 20.07 that I had written nothing that justified my 18.20 post being rr'd.
And that Cynthia was the most helpful and polite person, and that jax and Reggie had not breached any terms and conditions.

My 20.06 post just went through a few points about board etiquette.

So my 20.06 and 20.07 then get rr'd.

I have not rr'd any of these posts.

Johanna,
Sorry, this is not a normal day, and I do apologise that you appear to be the innocent focus, it is not you nor your post.
Please bear with us until the storm has been weathered.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 23 Mar 2013 20:24

Ah, I imagine Locater and Georgette must be friends.

I see that some posts have been RRd.

Rather a silly thing to do really as The Team at GR are well used to those who help on the boards and have often said how valued these members are because of the help they give.

CX