Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Holroyd

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sticks

Sticks Report 3 Nov 2013 16:53

Born Shanghai 1908, my father lived Oldham. Trying to find any children born after 1947 who will be my half siblings. I am his son from his first marriage ;to Amy Cooper.I had two uncles and three aunties.Third uncle,Percy,died,1896 aged nine years. If any bells ringing I would be pleased to hear from you. David Holroyd

patchem

patchem Report 3 Nov 2013 17:25

Jan,
Have sent a pm saying what, please?

Welcome to the boards, David.

Do you know when he died and, if so, have you got/applied for the death certificate as the informant could be a relative?

Have you looked to see if anyone on here has him in their trees?

Have you looked for possible marriages on free bmd?

Thank-you

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

patchem

patchem Report 3 Nov 2013 17:30

Do you know if either of these deaths is correct?

John Holroyd
Birth Date: abt 1908
Date of Registration: Jun 1962
Age at Death: 54
Registration District: Oldham
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 10f
Page: 54

John Holroyd
Birth Date: 4 Oct 1908
Date of Registration: Apr 1986
Age at Death: 77
Registration District: Oldham
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 39
Page: 279

Sticks

Sticks Report 3 Nov 2013 18:48

I have his birth certificate.born October 4,1908,registered in Shanghai China on the9th oct.,1908. Death certificate more difficult.Thought he died 1962 aged 54 but you have thrown a spanner in my works now. My main link is the fact he was born in Shanghai so need to somehow join the the dots on either of these deaths too match. The pair of them fit with births but which is which ? I also have his marriage certificate for June2nd,1934,St.Christophers,South M/C. to my mother Amy Cooper. My fathers mother was named Hepworth before marriage. That is about the extent of my knowledge I am afraid so if it helps I wil be very pleased. As a postscript he may well have remarried early fifties, around about. Dave Holroyd

patchem

patchem Report 3 Nov 2013 18:53

I would have thought that 1986 death looks pretty convincing....

Is this Percy?
Births Jun 1887
Holroyd Percy Oldham 8d 6_3
Deaths Sep 1896
Holroyd Percy 9 Oldham 8d 459

Just wondered how many of family born in Singapore and how many in Oldham?

Added:
Parents' marriage:
Marriages Mar 1885
HEPWORTH Charlotte Oldham
Holroyd Albert Oldham 8d 729

patchem

patchem Report 3 Nov 2013 19:09

Probable family:

1891 England Census
Albert Holroyd Age: 26 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Charlotte Holroyd
Civil Parish: Oldham Ecclesiastical parish: St James
Town: Oldham County/Island: Lancashire Country: England
Registration District: Oldham Sub-registration District: Oldham Above Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 35 Piece: 3314 Folio: 84 Page Number: 21
Albert Holroyd 26
Charlotte Holroyd 26
Frank Holroyd 5
Percy Holroyd 3
Florrie Holroyd 2
Ethel Holroyd 3/12
Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3314; Folio: 84; Page: 21; GSU Roll: 6098424.

1901 England Census
Charlotte Holroyd Age: 36 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
Relation: Head Gender: Female
Where born: Oldham, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Oldham Ecclesiastical parish: St James
County/Island: Lancashire Country: England
Registration District: Oldham Sub-registration District: Oldham Above Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 22 Household Schedule Number: 188 Piece: 3817 Folio: 73 Page Number: 33
Charlotte Holroyd 36
Frank Holroyd 15
Florrie Holroyd 12
Ethel Holroyd 10
Milly Holroyd 8
Albert Holroyd 5
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3817; Folio: 73; Page: 33.

Charlotte's death?
Deaths Mar 1939
Holroyd Charlotte 74 Oldham 8d 1050

patchem

patchem Report 3 Nov 2013 19:15

Charlotte (plus 5 little Holroyds)
Mrs C Holroyd
Departure Date: 7 Oct 1902
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Destination Port: Shanghai, China
Ship Name: Kiautschou
Search Ship Database: Search the 'Kiautschou' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Master: Captain Luneschloss

Sticks

Sticks Report 3 Nov 2013 21:07

I can confirm all your facts ; I have already researched my ancestors back to Benjamin Holroyd,1780. Got to confirm them completely yet but hope I have them accurately. came originally from Greetland I think. Charlottes death I think I have correctly. Albert did not appear on 1901 census;elsewhere but where? He took the whole familly with him to China in1902 ,presumably in connection with his work in the textile industry;cotton or silk. My father John the only one born China .Brother Albert jr. his nearest sibling being born 1896; same year Percy died. quite afew years between! The family back by 1911census. Afraid I have a tendency to go of at tangent so found the Kiautschou very interesting to research. Followed it to its scrapping in 1936.Nothing to do with my family I know but fascinating non the less.

patchem

patchem Report 3 Nov 2013 21:36

So are you going to get the 1986 death record to find the name of the informant?

Flip

Flip Report 4 Nov 2013 09:54

I think this probate record could eliminate the 1962 death?

John Holroyd
Probate Date: 17 Jul 1962
Death Date: 26 May 1962
Death Place: Yorkshire, England
Registry: Manchester, England

He died at Oldham & District general hospital, so registered in Oldham. However, it gives his home address as 14 Ladhill Lane, Greenfield, Saddleworth. Probate granted to his widow Jessie.

Flip

Flip Report 4 Nov 2013 10:03

Also, there is a marriage in 1936 in Saddleworth for John to Jessie Ashworth, so pretty sure the 1962 death is not your father.

Sticks

Sticks Report 4 Nov 2013 20:52

Thanks for the help.I will send for death certificate for 1986 .The dates not matching for 1962 so back on track I think. Nice to know I am legit ! Next question;how do I find out if I have siblings? Need to talk to any family member who will know about Shanghai and China . Many thanks for your expertise! Dave Holroyd

patchem

patchem Report 4 Nov 2013 21:30

Have you contacted the person who also has John in her tree on here?

Flip

Flip Report 5 Nov 2013 08:48

The death certificate may give you some clue, hopefully the informant would be a relative. Otherwise it's difficult to be sure he actually remarried.

Have you traced his siblings and their descendants? I don't know if you noticed, but on the 1911 census image it states they have 6 children still living, but written on form (an crossed out) they say 2 children are in China.

Sticks

Sticks Report 5 Nov 2013 20:28

Awaiting a death certificate. May help to find half siblings perhaps. Assuming thre are some! Concentrating onmy dad so far but idea of searching my aunts and uncles appeals. Dave Holroyd.

Flip

Flip Report 6 Nov 2013 20:54

Dave,

The 1911 census stated 2 children had stayed in China, but I don't know which 2 as there are 3 missing from the 1911 census. However, it looks like Frank had been to the Americas in 1907 - I'm going to PM you the image, but fairly sure it's him:

Frank Holroyd
Arrival Date:21 Jun 1907
Birthdate:abt 1885
Birthplace:Oldham, England
Race/Nationality:English
Ship Name:Maori King
Port of Departure:Guaymas, Mexico
Port of Arrival:Astoria, Oregon
Last Residence:China
Microfilm Roll Number:
M1777_5

Others may be able to find other travel details for the family, as I can't see them returning to UK.

ADDED: Sorry, but I'm having trouble downloading the image, maybe someone else can do it & PM to Dave. Otherwise I'll try from my computer tomorrow.

patchem

patchem Report 6 Nov 2013 23:07

Could they have married out there?

Flip

Flip Report 7 Nov 2013 05:45

Not sure how you go about China research, but the census is easily explained. The enumerator would have crossed out anything that shouldn't have been written - My gt aunt had put all her family on the census - next to husband and one son she'd written "working in Canada" so they were crossed off the form. The 1911 images can be a really useful source of extra info!

The only way you're going to talk to a relative who knows is to find one, try extending your research to the brothers/sisters - I'm fairly certain I spotted some likely marriages in the Oldham area for them on freebmd.

Pam

Pam Report 7 Nov 2013 22:00

Go to SEARCH top right hand of the page and select Search All Member Trees.
Put in the names you have and see who has them in a tree.

Flip

Flip Report 15 Nov 2013 21:16

I've asked David to come back and post on his thread rather than by PM - but this is his PM to me - & I've advised him I would post it for others to help:

Received death certificate but the informant name,John Gilbert Wedgewood,no help. Had hoped it would have been wife or obvious offspring but not so. More delving required!
Regards , Dave Holroyd.
Death cert. for 1986 the correct one.

David, you may have to face the fact that your father did not re-marry, or if he did late in life he may not have had any other children. Try tracing the informant - he may be able to shed light on your father's later life. How many people are called John Gilbert Wedgewood?